Cruise ending in Quebec City flight question.

Ready to Sail!

I am getting conflicting information from NCL.  Just booked a cruise Boston to Quebec City for next fall so I have plenty of time

but would like some input from those who have ended their cruise in Quebec City.  Did you fly out from Quebec City or shuttle

to Montreal to fly from there?

We had a cruise starting in Quebec City, and did NCL air with a 2 day pre cruise deviation.  Our airline reservations were only to Montreal, and we were stuck buying our own train/bus tickets to get to Quebec City.  You may be in a better position with getting off the ship in Quebec City and flying home.  Lots more flight availability (and cheaper) flying from Montreal rather than Quebec City, so that's probably the reason. 

2 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I am getting conflicting information from NCL.  Just booked a cruise Boston to Quebec City for next fall so I have plenty of time

but would like some input from those who have ended their cruise in Quebec City.  Did you fly out from Quebec City or shuttle

to Montreal to fly from there?

Quebec City has a small be reasonable sized airport give the small size of the city.  Good connections through Air Canada or WestJet to major Canadian cities.

International is more limited, Air France to Paris, United to Newark, American to Philadelphia.  

Montreal is a much larger airport with flights to major airport in Canada, US, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.  

For reasons that make no sense, NCL books people through Montreal while leaving people with the impression it is the local airport.  If you want to fly from Montreal, you may want to look at VIA Rail website for train schedules from Quebec City to Montreal Airport.   On the VIA Rail site if you select Montreal Airport that includes the train to Dorval Station and a 10 minute shuttle bus to the airport terminal. 

Edited by em-sk

2 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I am getting conflicting information from NCL.  Just booked a cruise Boston to Quebec City for next fall so I have plenty of time but would like some input from those who have ended their cruise in Quebec City.  Did you fly out from Quebec City or shuttle to Montreal to fly from there?

We did Boston to Quebec. We wanted to spend some time in Quebec, so we took a post-cruise tour to the falls and country side (that ended at the airport), then caught a taxi back to a B&B in the old city and spent a couple of days there. 

Back to your specific question, we caught an American Airlines flight from Quebec to Philly connected to our home airport. Quebec airport (YQB) is medium size with around 15 gates serving international flights. 

5 hours ago, milolii said:

Are you asking if NCL air will book your flights home from Quebec vs Montreal or which airport to use if you are booking your own flights? 

I’ll book my own.  I’m assuming NCL uses Montreal. I’ve looked at flights from QC and choices don’t look great for getting back to the West Coast.  

10 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

We had a cruise starting in Quebec City, and did NCL air with a 2 day pre cruise deviation.  Our airline reservations were only to Montreal, and we were stuck buying our own train/bus tickets to get to Quebec City.  You may be in a better position with getting off the ship in Quebec City and flying home.  Lots more flight availability (and cheaper) flying from Montreal rather than Quebec City, so that's probably the reason. 

We did the same and received a credit from NCL for the transfers.  You might want to check your invoice and see if you got a credit.  You will still have to make your own transfer arrangements.  

3 hours ago, ByThePond said:

You will not find direct flights from Quebec City to anywhere on the US/Canadian west coast. You will need to transit through somewhere in between. 

Air Canada this summer had non-stop flights from Quebec City to Vancouver and Calgary.  I think they are season, summer only.

10 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I’ll book my own.  I’m assuming NCL uses Montreal. I’ve looked at flights from QC and choices don’t look great for getting back to the West Coast.  

Smart move.  We have family in Quebec. They fly YUL to SFO on AC.  But of course they drive or get a ride to Montreal.  Good luck, let’s us know what you get. 

11 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Flew from Quebec to Oregon in June.  YQB to Chicago to DFW to PDX.  Pretty slim pickins as I recall. And I seem to remember every-other-day schedules, but not sure if that was going or coming or both.