Yet another tipping question

JanR

We just disembarked from a B2B cruise of the Baltic and Norway and went through our custom of tipping the crew that we felt gave us extraordinary service.   It was then that we realized that we have no idea what is generally done for a world cruise as we set sail in January. 

Any advice from those who have sailed a WC cruise on a line that does not prohibit monetary tips?

I would check if Gratuities are included  for the WC 

If so just tip whom you please  maybe at each segment end  as some crew may be swapped out  depending on their contract time

Read all the  inclusions for the WC you are on/considering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JanR said:

We just disembarked from a B2B cruise of the Baltic and Norway and went through our custom of tipping the crew that we felt gave us extraordinary service.   It was then that we realized that we have no idea what is generally done for a world cruise as we set sail in January. 

Any advice from those who have sailed a WC cruise on a line that does not prohibit monetary tips?

With respect to tipping, probably the biggest difference between a World Cruise and shorter cruises is you will notice a higher turnover of the crew.

We provide discreet gratuities to the crew members who went the extra mile, to make our cruise exceptional. Since it is a recognition of the specific crew member's efforts, we provide the gratuity at the end of the cruise.

Since many of the crew may head out on leave throughout the cruise, it is important to get to know the crew, especially those who are going that extra mile, to determine when they are heading out on leave. For those crew members, we wish to provide a gratuity, that sign-off before the end of the cruise, we search them out their last night and provide a discreet gratuity. Others we address on the last evening.

Whether the crew members can retain any gratuities received, depends on the cruise line's policy and their employment contract. Our preferred cruise line pays the crew directly at a level above the minimum, so the crew members can retain any cash gratuities received. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/11/2022 at 4:20 AM, JanR said:

It was then that we realized that we have no idea what is generally done for a world cruise as we set sail in January

On any long cruise that I have sailed, such as the world cruise, if segments are available to be booked, I will offer any additional gratuities at the end of each segment.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, beach bunnie said:

Tipping at the end of each segment is a good idea.  Some people on our world cruise had their cabin steward leave (end of contract) in the middle of the cruise and they missed the opportunity to tip.  I'm not sure why the steward didn't tell them.

I take the view that if the pax can't be bothered to chat with the crew, especially the cabin steward, and get to know them, why should the cabin steward reciprocate. At least for us, spending 4+ months on a ship provides an opportunity to get to know the crew.

If a crew member is providing us exemplary service, one of the first things we determine is when they pay-off. I would NOT expect the crew member to have to tell me this information.

BTW - some of the crew leave (end of contract) in almost every port.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

At least for us, spending 4+ months on a ship provides an opportunity to get to know the crew.

Indeed!  That is one of the important advantages of a long cruise.  It adds a dimension to my cruise experience that I otherwise would not have had.  

Had not realized before that crew might leave during my cruise. We don't have any segments during my 4 month+ cruise but I had planned to clear my account monthly, so that might be a good date to also distribute some tips. Thanks for making me aware of it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...