Just wanting to sit on the beach and swim in the ocean and have a few drinks

ksucat

Just grab a taxi, and tell them you want to go to Krazy Lobster or Tropicante. Or just to the taxi stand on Sierra and then walk up and down the malecon and find a place with loungers that looks good to you.  Be aware that there are people, mostly men, who are hawking their particular club and that may not be the best spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Krazy Lobster has baffled nets up to keep the seaweed away from their beach.  I believe that many of the beach clubs do.  We like Krazy Lobster because you pay as you go.  For the two of us we usually spend about $50 total for the day for food and drinks.  Beers are $2. Mixed drinks cost more.  Food is good and massages on the beach are $20 for an hour.  Very relaxing day. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, arlodog said:

Krazy Lobster has baffled nets up to keep the seaweed away from their beach.  I believe that many of the beach clubs do.  We like Krazy Lobster because you pay as you go.  For the two of us we usually spend about $50 total for the day for food and drinks.  Beers are $2. Mixed drinks cost more.  Food is good and massages on the beach are $20 for an hour.  Very relaxing day. 

Here is a video that shows the nets through drone footage.

Seems to be a pretty clear day from other videos I have seen on you tube.

The brown clumps you see in the water is seaweed and if you look to the right of the screen as the drone rises you see the seaweed accumulating at the edge of the nets and some slipping through.

One video I saw, the seaweed was so bad at the time, the inside swimming area was pretty heavy with seaweed, but outside the nets it was so thick, large iguanas were running on top of it, as if it was a land mass floating.

I'd imagine this video is a truer version of an average day in Mahahual.

If that level of seaweed would ruin your sxperience, (it would for DW) then you may want to try another excursion. 

If 5 small beers for $5 is the most important part of your day, (I know it was for my brother) this is probably your idea of a great day.

The video shows what our experiences have been like at Krazy Lobster we were there last November and again in June.  The water is clear (not perfect--occasionally you do have the seaweed) the way it was a few years ago before they had all the problems with the sargassum.  Our grandkids loved the kayaks (free) and there are snorkeling excursions that are available if you want to go out in a boat just a bit down the beach from there. We brought a pail from the dollar store and the kids made sandcastles and used goggles to "snorkel" from the beach.  It was their first time in the ocean so they were impressed.  We just gave the pail to some other kids when they were done with it.  

I will warn you that they place the taxi's line up to take you back to the ship is located by where a sewage smell was horrible in June.  Walk fast!  We didn't smell it at the beach club.  We have also been to Blue Kay and Tropicante a few times when Steve the old owner had that beach club.  Watch out for El Faro.  All the beach clubs are close together so you don't really know which restaurant table you are at if you aren't paying attention.  

We love stopping at Costa Maya.  It's just a relaxing day for us. 

Karen

On 9/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, arlodog said:

Were the $2 beers 12 oz or the small ones?

Also, what did they charge for the chairs at the beach? 

Any kind of crazy 30% tax added to final bill? Had this happen at El Kraken beach club last week in mahahaul.

We buy the full sized beers.  The smaller ones are the 6 for $6.   No charge for the chairs.  Tax is supposed to be included in prices posted on the menu in Mexico.  Just "remind" anyone who tries to add tax of the law and that you will make a report to Profeco.  Sounds like they added a tip to your total.  Here is an explanation of how to read a receipt in Mexico.  https://yucalandia.com/2019/07/08/mexicos-curious-rules-for-listing-prices/  Sometimes it may look like they are adding taxes, but they are just breaking it out.  Their receipts are different than ours in the US. 

We have not had a problem here.  Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel did add a tip to the receipt when we went there.  We didn't tip extra. 

21 minutes ago, arlodog said:

We buy the full sized beers.  The smaller ones are the 6 for $6.   No charge for the chairs.  Tax is supposed to be included in prices posted on the menu in Mexico.  Just "remind" anyone who tries to add tax of the law and that you will make a report to Profeco.  Sounds like they added a tip to your total.  Here is an explanation of how to read a receipt in Mexico.  https://yucalandia.com/2019/07/08/mexicos-curious-rules-for-listing-prices/  Sometimes it may look like they are adding taxes, but they are just breaking it out.  Their receipts are different than ours in the US. 

We have not had a problem here.  Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel did add a tip to the receipt when we went there.  We didn't tip extra. 

Not sure how long since you went to Krazy Lobster but they have added on a small “kitchen” tip (when questioned) on our check this year. We just take it into account and adjust our tip.

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, arlodog said:

We were there last November and again in June.  I will check the bill when we go again this November for the "kitchen tip".  We do tip well when we go, but hate it when restaurants add things to the bill. 

Please let us know how the seaweed is in November.

DW and I are going the first week of December and are curious about the seaweed that time of year.

Plus dying to know all the up to date details for Krazy Lobster in gerneral.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Beach Day

I just saw (is steve from texas) cant remember name of place was there  before covid.He was down by the soccer field.

He  greated the taxi, his guys raked for seeweed. no a big place but still has what you want.

Cant wait to get on ship 

And meeting nice people

1 hour ago, ginger200 said:

Beach Day

I just saw (is steve from texas) cant remember name of place was there  before covid.He was down by the soccer field.

He  greated the taxi, his guys raked for seeweed. no a big place but still has what you want.

Cant wait to get on ship 

And meeting nice people

That's Tropicante.. Unfortunatey Steve has retired back stateside.  Carolina, his manager is still there running the show and some of his staff are still around.  So stop in and say hello and enjoy like you did before.

I was there last week and joined a family of 4 in their golf cart for a day at the beach in Mahahual.  It wasn't a private club and food and beverages were ordered off the menu.  There was a stand of palm trees and palm thatched areas with tables and chairs.  The water was crystal clear, no seaweed.  Taxi drivers were asking either US$8 or $5 for the approx. 2 mile journey from the pier.  This port stop was the one I enjoyed the most (Roatan was my least liked).  I do speak Spanish which made visiting Mahahual more enjoyable.

11 hours ago, Longford said:

I was there last week and joined a family of 4 in their golf cart for a day at the beach in Mahahual.  It wasn't a private club and food and beverages were ordered off the menu.  There was a stand of palm trees and palm thatched areas with tables and chairs.  The water was crystal clear, no seaweed.  Taxi drivers were asking either US$8 or $5 for the approx. 2 mile journey from the pier.  This port stop was the one I enjoyed the most (Roatan was my least liked).  I do speak Spanish which made visiting Mahahual more enjoyable.

What exactly do you mean by US$8 or $5?

Did you try to negotiate for a taxi and then piggy-back on a golf cart?

Where did you actually go in Mahahual?

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

What exactly do you mean by US$8 or $5?

Did you try to negotiate for a taxi and then piggy-back on a golf cart?

Where did you actually go in Mahahual?

Taxi drivers immediately outside the exit from the pier area asked $8.  Walk a little bit away from the exit, 1000 ft. as an example, and the offers were $5.  

My intention was to walk the 2mi from the pier to Mahahual.  1/3 of the way there the golf cart pulled over, the driver said he recognized me from the ship, asked where I was going and when I told him he said "Get in!" and join us.  I obliged.  We first visited the light house and then drove to the beach area.  The family was gracious and I financially contributed to the adventure.

At Mahahual, we went to a beach area at Hotel y Club de Playa Oxtankah.

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Costa Maya-Mahahual 5.JPG

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Costa Maya-Mahahual 3.JPG

Edited by Longford

2 hours ago, Longford said:

Taxi drivers immediately outside the exit from the pier area asked $8.  Walk a little bit away from the exit, 1000 ft. as an example, and the offers were $5.  

My intention was to walk the 2mi from the pier to Mahahual.  1/3 of the way there the golf cart pulled over, the driver said he recognized me from the ship, asked where I was going and when I told him he said "Get in!" and join us.  I obliged.  We first visited the light house and then drove to the beach area.  The family was gracious and I financially contributed to the adventure.

At Mahahual, we went to a beach area at Hotel y Club de Playa Oxtankah.

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Costa Maya-Mahahual 5.JPG

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Costa Maya-Mahahual 3.JPG

Interesting.

The “official “ rate is supposedly $4pp from the port, obviously  they didn’t appreciate a single passenger. The rate pre-Covid was $8 per taxi for up to 4 people so they are now aiming for a $16 fare, but will take an $8 minimum.

• Like 1

Just at the Krazy Lobster last week.  It was what you were asking for. It has a ok beach, they don’t charge for lounge chairs and the food and drink it pretty good and not expensive.  We $10 each way for can with tip.  Our tab at Krazy Lobster was about $40 including tip for Lunch for two and drinks. You can see the ship from the beach but I would not walk it.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Interesting.

The “official “ rate is supposedly $4pp from the port, obviously  they didn’t appreciate a single passenger. The rate pre-Covid was $8 per taxi for up to 4 people so they are now aiming for a $16 fare, but will take an $8 minimum.

I think it was also a supply / demand issue.  The taxi's with the preferential positioning at the exit from the pier were getting the higher fares.  Walk 1,000-2,000 feet away and the price dropped.  If the drivers don't get you when you pass them by, no matter their positioning, they know they'll likely not earn anything, or much, that day.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, crewsweeper said:

That's Tropicante.. Unfortunatey Steve has retired back stateside.  Carolina, his manager is still there running the show and some of his staff are still around.  So stop in and say hello and enjoy like you did before.

Thank you for the update

On 11/15/2022 at 7:51 AM, Longford said:

I think it was also a supply / demand issue.  The taxi's with the preferential positioning at the exit from the pier were getting the higher fares.  Walk 1,000-2,000 feet away and the price dropped.  If the drivers don't get you when you pass them by, no matter their positioning, they know they'll likely not earn anything, or much, that day.

The taxis inside the port are purportedly paying a fee for the privilege which they are passing onto the customer (and then some).

Outside the port, fares are subject to negotiation , like most taxis in Mexico. Cozumel taxis are not beyond price gouging either but at least their extortionate tourist rates are actually posted on a board at the port and have a somewhat “official” union basis.

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Costa Maya as many people are put off after their first visit. Evidently you hit Mahahual on a seaweed free day which would make a big difference to first impressions.

For myself, I have to say I am becoming a little weary of current practices in Costa Maya and Mahahual and despite having several upcoming visits scheduled we will be staying around the port for some of them, something we would have been very unlikely to do in the past.

Edited by c-leg5