payment

flare3192

I have used this method for all my four Viking cruises. It is basically a e -check that comes right out of my checking account in about two days after  my TA makes the payment . 3.3% is better than nothing. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

Payment for the cruise is coming and there is a 3.3% savings if paid in cash. I usually always do AMEX but wondered how people felt about the cash method and if there has ever been an issue

Thanks

Five cruises.  Used credit card for only one.  Never a problem.

10 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

Payment for the cruise is coming and there is a 3.3% savings if paid in cash. I usually always do AMEX but wondered how people felt about the cash method and if there has ever been an issue

Thanks

Prior to our first Viking cruise I compared the savings between paying by cash and Visa. The 3.3% savings on a $100K+ cruise was definitely of interest. However, once I calculated the points and miles received from Visa, the cash saving was about 1/2 of the flights we could receive.

Consequently, I always use Visa for the points.

• Like 2

The last few cruises, including the WC we used the 3.3% discount.  Our credit card gives us 3% cash back, but for some reason won’t raise the credit limit above $25k.  It just became more of a pain to pay off the WC in chunks that way.  

One other thing to consider is that, if you pay by card and can time the payment right after your monthly statement end date, you could have nearly 2 months before the money actually comes out of your account when you pay off the credit card bill. Probably a small consideration, but something to factor in.

3 hours ago, sugarside said:

I believe I am right in saying that here in the UK we have extra consumer rights when paying for holiday travel by credit card in the event of things going wrong .

Many people do have credit card benefits for cancellation, interruption, lost luggage, etc.  We have experienced however that for our card, which is a US based card, the FULL value of the trip must be paid on the credit card and not part one way and part another way...

For example, we had flight cancellation issues and because we bought tickets that were a combination miles/points and cash, we were not eligible for any benefits.

There is always a fine print that may get in the way.

19 hours ago, flare3192 said:

Thanks

Use my credit card, it has travel insurance 

39 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

the FULL value of the trip must be paid on the credit card and not part one way and part another way...

Yeah, depends on the card.  I have an AMEX card and its travel insurance requires full trip value to be paid by said AMEX card.  I also have couple Chase cards and their travel insurance kicks in when you use the cards to pay any portion of the trip costs.

Yes, always read the fine prints.

• Like 2

And be sure to read the fine print regarding the insurance offered by the credit card. It does not perform the same as a comprehensive policy. Be aware of the gaps in coverage, and be sure you understand the definition/application of the pre-existing conditions provision.

• Like 3