@#$#@# Last Minute Itinerary Change For Hawaii Cruise

groundloop

I just got an email from Carnival that the itinerary has been changed for our Sept. 15th Hawaii cruise on Miracle (they deleted Kauai, added Kona, and changed the date of our stop at Honolulu).

I know that "stuff" happens, but am pretty frustrated because I've had dinner reservations at Honolulu for quite some time and with such short notice I'm just going to be out of luck.  

They didn't offer any explanation, and as far as I know there's not any significant weather expected.

• Like 1

I can give you some restaurant choices at Oahu if your first choice is all booked by now.   Tommy Bahamas makes the best Mai Tais and the macadamia nut crust seafood is really good.  Dukes is also a good option, similar menus and also great Mai Tais if that's your thing.  Hula Grill is pretty good too.   All of these have outdoor seating options too but TB is probably the least of these for good outdoor seating options.  Sunsets are great at Waikiki.   Hope these suggestions take some of the $#/@#@ edge off your shoulders.   Last minute changes are frustrating!   🙂

Edited by 80sGal
Typo
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, they do not need to offer an explanation. The last thing they need is a bunch of cruisers deciding if the explanation is the right one. The people's court isn't always that productive.

Hopefully, you are able to find new plans. If you are looking to do a Luau, I know that yes, those dinner plans can be tough to get. However, if you keep checking in, you might get lucky!

If your only problem with the Kuaui / Kona swap is the tender, there are far worse first-world problems to experience.

• Like 2

Bummer about Kauai. We loved that stop when we did our cruise on NCL. Had 2 night to explore. 

Kona is a tender port but it is a very nice stop. We pretty much just walked around the area and explored on our own. If you are into coffee there is a nice tour. 

• Like 1

That is very disappointing about Kauai as I personally believe it is the most beautiful of all the islands. With that said Kona is the cutest little town on the big island. I absolutely love Kona and I think it is well worth the tender ride. Make sure you go to The Kona Inn for a Mai Tai. They are the best I have ever had but if you have two be prepared to take a long nap after.

Kona is the perfect port to do it yourself. When you get off the tender platform head down the coast line. Lots of shops, restaurants, museum houses, local items etc. Pick up some Kona Donkey Balls they have about 100 different flavors and are delish. 

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I love Kona. That is all. 😁

OK, y'all are bringing my blood pressure down a little bit.

Yes, I had a luau booked on Waikiki Beach, now that the date got changed for our stop that's totally out the window.  That was supposed to be a surprise for my wife.  And I was really looking forward to seeing Kauai as I'd always heard great things.

Unfortunately, they do not need to offer an explanation. The last thing they need is a bunch of cruisers deciding if the explanation is the right one. The people's court isn't always that productive.

In my professional life, whenever I couldn't make a commitment I wouldn't even think about not offering at least a basic explanation (even if it was the fact that I screwed up).  Carnival has never done a very good job of communicating with customers, I wish that would change.

I have a hunch that this has something to do with Miracle's non-functioning thrusters.  We'll see.

Edited by groundloop

5 hours ago, cruisin*tigger said:

This just means now you need to visit Kauai on a land trip.  It is beautiful and a port stop would just gives you a small taste.  🙂

I’ve always said I’d have a hard time doing a Hawaiian cruise as Hawaii is my first love. I quit counting after about my 15th visit. I was probably at about 25 when I started branching out at Caribbean cruises. Now I’m just showing how hold I am…. 🤪 but ya, land vacations in Hawaii is pretty much what I would go for. After we visited Aruba on a cruise  we went back for a week because we loved it so much. Kinda like that. 

Edited by kona_wahine

I was on Miracle in August and did not notice any operational problems. Speed was actually quite fast. We made all ports on time. One port was skipped due to medical emergency. 

The reason for the change might be port congestion, or unexpected port maintenance.

Edited by Moviela

3 hours ago, Moviela said:

I was on Miracle in August and did not notice any operational problems. Speed was actually quite fast......

The last I knew Miracle's thrusters are non-functional and she has to have tug boats help her in and out of port.  I witnessed this in June when Miracle was docked right behind us in Alaska.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:37 AM, ohioNCLcruiser said:

That is very disappointing about Kauai as I personally believe it is the most beautiful of all the islands. With that said Kona is the cutest little town on the big island. I absolutely love Kona and I think it is well worth the tender ride. Make sure you go to The Kona Inn for a Mai Tai. They are the best I have ever had but if you have two be prepared to take a long nap after.

Kona is the perfect port to do it yourself. When you get off the tender platform head down the coast line. Lots of shops, restaurants, museum houses, local items etc. Pick up some Kona Donkey Balls they have about 100 different flavors and are delish. 

is "head down the coast line" walkable or do you need to grab a cab?

You did not mention your whole itinerary, BUT if you are looking for a Luau and are going to Maui, might I suggest this:

https://oldlahainaluau.com/show-info/

Is was a great show, and the food was excellent. We rented a car (RIGHT outside the port) and drove to the Ocean Center and the luau after. Maui was far and away my favorite stop. 

I was supposed to do this cruise last year as well but it got cancelled 14 days before it was supposed to sail.  So I said F carnival, took the full refund, and flew to Hawaii, and spend the entire 2 weeks going to all the places the cruise would have for less money.  

That being said... bummer about kauai, but there is a TON to do from Kona. Id highly recommend just renting a car for the day.. I used Turo when I was there and got a really good deal, and you can find pickup options right by the cruise port.  No waiting in lines, and no BS, just get off the boat and get in your car.  

There are a couple national parks close to the port, if you have the national park passport book its cool to go and get your stamps.  There are also a ton of coffee plantations particularly if you drive towards the southern tip of the island.  We went to one and just walked around the farm, didnt pay an admission, and then just bought a bunch of stuff afterwards.  And since we bought over $100 they shipped it back home for us for free.

And if you're REALLY adventurous, Mauna Kea, which was the #1 reason for me going to hawaii, is about an hour drive inland (halfway to Hilo), so you can do it from either port really.  If you do this, you MUST rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle and the car can not have mud on them or they wont let you up.  

I guess it depends on what you are into but Kona is a great stop... Have fun!

• Thanks 1

I also prefer Kona then Hilo when going to the big island but I also enjoy Kauai out of all of the islands.  A lot sunnier and less rain in Kona with lots to do there and nice beach restaurants. 16 day Hawaii cruise on Princess from San Diego and back this January. 

4 hours ago, thenexus2k said:

You did not mention your whole itinerary, BUT if you are looking for a Luau and are going to Maui, might I suggest this:

https://oldlahainaluau.com/show-info/

Is was a great show, and the food was excellent. We rented a car (RIGHT outside the port) and drove to the Ocean Center and the luau after. Maui was far and away my favorite stop. 

This.  DH and I flew to Maui about 18 months ago and this was the highlight of the trip.  It was our first trip to Hawaii.  

There’s lots to do near Kona.  There’s a neat little tourist area with plenty of shops and restaurants if you want something simple. You can rent kayaks or paddle boards right there, too. If you can rent a car, check out the beach at either 69 beach (that’s the milepost) or Kaloko-Honokohau NP. Or visit Pu’uhona O Honaunau NP. 

From Hilo visit Volcanoes NP or go north to Akaka Falls. Pahoa is a neat little artsy town near Volcanoes with shops and restaurants.