Are vaccinated people "technically" faced with more covid requirements than unvaccinated, for cruises with Greek itineraries

podgeandrodge

Per NCL:

Vaccinated:

Proof of up-to-date vaccination regimen, including booster***, at embarkation.

And

Provide proof of one of the following:

Negative COVID-19 antigen test within two days of the embarkation date 

UNVACCINATED

Why would anyone say they were vaccinated? How is this possible, or am I misunderstanding?

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/travel-requirements-by-country

Edited by podgeandrodge
NCL link

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

Why would anyone say they were vaccinated?

Clearly, it would be to avoid the requirement for unexpected/random testing during their cruise.  It's not hard to show a copy of a vaccination record.  It takes ten seconds tops (and my guy was nodding off out of boredom).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

That's just a may be tested. I'm talking about embarkation requirements.

You asked why anyone would say they are vaccinated.  Because they would not be subjected to additional testing.  You profile will show vax or not if a testing situation comes up.

• Like 1

Greece seems to be a bit complicated. Viking Cruises says in their info that it's the Greek Port Authority that demands these pre-embarkation tests, even when Greece is not listing the requirement on its official travel site:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

• Like 1

DH and I are fully vaccinated and boosted.  We have our vaccine card showing the various doses but it is just filled out by hand by the provider whenever we get a dose.

Will this card be acceptable for NCL and various governmental authorities or should we get something more official from our local health department?

21 minutes ago, Northern wanderlust said:

DH and I are fully vaccinated and boosted.  We have our vaccine card showing the various doses but it is just filled out by hand by the provider whenever we get a dose.

Will this card be acceptable for NCL and various governmental authorities or should we get something more official from our local health department?

That handwritten CDC card is your official record and is all you should need.

If your state offers digital vaccine cards you could download the app and have it on your phone as well for convenience. The apps usually have a scanable QR code that can be used for official verification. 

1 hour ago, dandelpino said:

That handwritten CDC card is your official record and is all you should need.

If your state offers digital vaccine cards you could download the app and have it on your phone as well for convenience. The apps usually have a scanable QR code that can be used for official verification. 

Excellent.  Thank you for the information.

17 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Per NCL:

Vaccinated:

Proof of up-to-date vaccination regimen, including booster***, at embarkation.

And

UNVACCINATED

Why would anyone say they were vaccinated? How is this possible, or am I misunderstanding?

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/travel-requirements-by-country

Thank you for posting the link. 

The first line states that these rules are for "For cruises originating from a Greece port (i.e. Piraeus and Crete):"

So, from what I understand from this, if you are not starting your cruise in Greece but have a Greek port in your itinerary these rules do not apply. If you are embarking in Greece these rules do apply.

1 hour ago, LGinPA said:

Thank you for posting the link. 

The first line states that these rules are for "For cruises originating from a Greece port (i.e. Piraeus and Crete):"

So, from what I understand from this, if you are not starting your cruise in Greece but have a Greek port in your itinerary these rules do not apply. If you are embarking in Greece these rules do apply.

Yes, indeed.  However, later, under booster rules it states "

Booster Requirement

• To be considered fully vaccinated on itineraries that include Greece, guests age 18 and over must have a booster if their original vaccine was received 270 days or more prior to embarkation.

Not sure if they still mean originating in Greece or whether they are expanding it to anything including Greece, from that wording, which suggests the latter.

3 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Yes, indeed.  However, later, under booster rules it states "

Booster Requirement

• To be considered fully vaccinated on itineraries that include Greece, guests age 18 and over must have a booster if their original vaccine was received 270 days or more prior to embarkation.

Not sure if they still mean originating in Greece or whether they are expanding it to anything including Greece, from that wording, which suggests the latter.

What you posted is a footnote referred to "booster***" in the boxed section above it which applies to cruises originating from a Greek port. It would be clearer if the footnote was preceded by ***.  Therefore I can see how the booster statement can be interpreted to refer to anyone. 

I feel confident the booster statement does not refer to sailings that only stop at the ports, but to those that  originate in Greece. 

12 hours ago, MPHennessy said:

From what I can see on the Greek Government Website, no documentation is necessary. (Please correct me if I'm reading it wrong).

GR.jpg

You are comparing apples to oranges @MPHennessy.  The rules for entering Greece have nothing to do with embarkation on an NCL cruise.  We made this sailing recently and both were a breeze - airport entry on arrival was uneventful; boarding was equally uneventful as we had our paperwork in order.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MPHennessy said:

@HuliHuli So what (I think) you're saying is that we don't need a PCR test......?

IIRC,  you are on the GEM in a couple of weeks, correct?

Several passengers who boarded the Gem this past Sunday, reported that checkin was a breeze.  They were vaccinated so they only had to show their vax records and the usual stuff like passports. Onboard within 15-20 minutes.  They weren't embarking in Athens so no test needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glentally said:

I looked at that cruise.  Where do you fly into?  Trieste didn't look like a cheap airport to fly in or out of.

Im flying into Venice, Marco Polo Airport ( from Arizona ).  It was around $1100 RT.

We've been to Venice before so we're staying in Mestre for 2 nights pre-cruise.  Mestre is MUCH cheaper than Venice, yet only 10-15 minutes away by train or bus. 

We're taking the train from Mestre to Trieste Centrale on Sunday morning, 2 hrs for $10.   On the return trip we'll spend a few hours in Trieste, then take the FlixBus to Venice Airport. 

Hope this helps.

So...my understanding is (for over 18s):

ORIGINATING from Greece - (ignoring recovery certs etc.)

1) Up to date Vaccination proof - this MUST include a booster if the original (1 or 2 course) vaccine is more than 270 days prior to departure.  However, even if the booster is more than 270 days since departure (which many are now) THAT BOOSTER does not have to be followed by a second booster - only 1 booster is required to be up to date.

2)  PLUS negative test. 

If you are UNVACCINATED, OR not "up to date" as outlined above - you need a negative test + potential  random tests.

VISITING Greece - 

You don't actually have to prove vaccination status (unless embarking country requires it), but may be subject to occasional tests.  Highly unlikely but that's the upshot of my reading of the text on NCL.

It seems that if cruisers that have had the original vaccination, and not a booster, could find themselves technically failing at the embarkation desk, and being designated as "unvaccinated", alongside the folk that simply said they were unvaccinated in the first place.  You're either fully or zero.  Happy to hear other opinions on whether the above is accurate or not.  Screenshot of requirements below.

greece vax.png

We are flying into Milan to visit northern Italy for a few days. We are flying home from Venice. We are planning another two days after the cruise there. 
the cruise offers a “tour excursion” transfer to Venice. But it takes you straight to the airport and isn’t cheap. 
The train from Trieste to Venice is much less expensive, ( about 2 hours) not to mention for us Americans an adventure of its own. Because we are doing trains a few times, we are limiting our luggage to one carry on and one backpack each. This would be difficult to to with huge heavy bags. You also have to allow for possible strikes and other delays common in Italy. We are arriving the night prior to the cruise. 
there is an airport in Trieste but I think it is small and expensive to fly into. 
hope that helps. 

19 hours ago, MPHennessy said:

@HuliHuli So what (I think) you're saying is that we don't need a PCR test......?

No, not exactly.  Greece did not require any type of COVID testing before we arrived.  However, NCL did, but since our vaccination and testing records were in order, we glided through check-in.

• Like 1