MSC Upgrade Process

Sixtytwo

This may have been discussed at length, but I did not see the topic when I looked. My question is how does MSC handle their "Upgrade Offers"?  I am pretty familiar with how NCL does theirs but don't think I have seen/heard anything about MSC. Thanks for any information you can offer!

Do you mean how do they send them out, or how do they decide who is worthy of 'winning' the upgrade?

If the question is how do they send them out, you have to have opted in to being sent advertising and promotional material when you fill in your details online.

If you mean how do they decide who is worthy of 'winning' then I've no idea but I'm keen to know, I'm guessing it's based on highest bidder but when they examine and accept the bids is beyond me, I'd be keen to know if this is done daily it'd certainly make me put my bid in early!

• Like 1

They use the same agency as NCL. There are a few posts here but nothing like the 100+  pages on NCL.  MSC is just not as rabid as NCL with them.

To add, most are not a deal at all.  Just this week a post about YC bid $6400 on top of what paid.  Most YC you can get in $5000 range outright.

• Like 1

Thanks, Dex for that information. I saw the post about the uncharge of $6400 to "upgrade" offered to one poster! That was quite ridiculous to even consider! I will assume that "offers" will come out after final payment date to whoever is selected to get one.

77Red96, maybe you will have the luck of the Irish! I am very excited to be porting in Dublin and Belfast on an upcoming NCL Transatlantic! I spent 2 years in England in the military and loved the country and the people. I have only been to Cork in Ireland and it was also a fun experience. Any pointers you may have would be more than welcome!

Interesting that you are doing a port day in Belfast, my wife and I were only just discussing what we would do if we ever ended up in Belfast port. I suppose it depends what you are looking to get from the day. If it's food you're in luck because Ireland has the greatest food of anywhere in the world. The quality is unrivalled.

Let me know the sort of things you like and I'll give you a few suggestions, like a nice walk, some history, are you an adrenaline junkie! Lol.

I also have a few locations that make for a great relaxing day.

Sir Richard and Lady Dixon gardens (and tea room, get stew!) is a great spot and not too far from the docks. They have a rose garden and a secret garden, they often have live music and the occasional brass band playing.

We were invited to place an upgrade bid. But the minimum bid combined with what we already paid would have been more than if we had booked the higher category outright. So I passed. We were in a YC balcony suite. Come November we will be in a YC inside. If an upgrade opp comes up for a balcony we might consider it but my rule is to book what we’d be happy with either way. 

Our first cruise is with MSC next month, in an inside cabin. We've twice been invited to bid for ocean view and above, but similar to as mentioned above, the minimum amount we could select was above what we could have paid when originally booking, so a completely pointless exercise in our case.