Lobster on Buffet??

Mitzelj

14 minutes ago, Mitzelj said:

Going on the Regal 26/10/22 and I was wondering if anyone knows if they server lobster tails in the buffet.

I know we get them on formal night/nights in the MDR.

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen them in the buffet .. I mean since the restart last year.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

15 minutes ago, Mitzelj said:

Going on the Regal 26/10/22 and I was wondering if anyone knows if they server lobster tails in the buffet.

Thanks in advance.

It's something that wouldn't be very appealing not coming freshly done.  Same idea as it wouldn't be appealing to me to pick up a filet mignon at a buffet that was sitting there to be taken.

• Like 1

The year the Royal launched I remember coming across a huge pile of claws and shrimp after the bon voyage party. My wife and I happily indulged.

Unfortunately, we have not seen lobster claws/tails on the buffet since.  

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Same idea as it wouldn't be appealing to me to pick up a filet mignon at a buffet that was sitting there to be taken.

Crown had filet on the buffet one night last month. It was actually pretty good, not overcooked or dried out. Biggest problem was they didn't have steak knives at the buffet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Crown had filet on the buffet one night last month. It was actually pretty good, not overcooked or dried out. Biggest problem was they didn't have steak knives at the buffet.

You mean you cannot cut a Princess filet mignon with a spoon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mitzelj said:

Thanks in advance.

No.  

We've never seen lobster at the buffet on the same evening as in the DR but one time before the shutdown they did have left over tails the next day at lunch time in the buffet. People in line were going crazy for them, filling their plates, that is until they tasted one. 

Most went into the garbage cans after the first bite.😝

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Only one formal night on a 7 day cruise.

Well, one formal and one dress to impress, which is sort of the same thing. However,  I guess you are right in that only on the formal night is the MDR menu slightly special.  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Well, one formal and one dress to impress, which is sort of the same thing. However,  I guess you are right in that only on the formal night is the MDR menu slightly special.  

I meant that lobster is only served in the MDR on one of the two formal nights on a 7-day cruise, notwithstanding the inconsistencies in what Princess may call them (i.e., Princess's website calls them both formal nights).

56 minutes ago, Mitzelj said:

Thanks for all the replies, we are on for 11 days, so hoping for 2 nights of Lobster in the MDR!

I think you'll have quite a wait for lobster on the second formal unless you special order it from a Specialty restaurant for a price.

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've never seen lobster at the buffet on the same evening as in the DR but one time before the shutdown they did have left over tails the next day at lunch time in the buffet. People in line were going crazy for them, filling their plates, that is until they tasted one. 

Most went into the garbage cans after the first bite.😝

I do not think that food, once it is cooked, can be retained and served the next day.  I think that would violate the food safety protocols.

1 hour ago, Mitzelj said:

Thanks for all the replies, we are on for 11 days, so hoping for 2 nights of Lobster in the MDR!

I would not expect it. Only once on a recent10 day.  

To be blunt lobster in the MDR on Princess is really not that good.

A number of years ago, I recall Princess having a special sea food meal up in the buffet, that was before they added and now removed steamers.  Of course back then the Lobster in the MDR was better as well.

The lobster you get on formal night is dinky, maybe four bites worth.  I guess you can ask for seconds or thirds.  They were doing a big prawn with some kind of steak and calling that Surf and Turf.  Frankly, I liked the prawn much more than the lobster.  I think the last time I did a formal night, there was one small lobster tail served with risotto that tasted like rice paste.  I don't know if the lobster you pay for in the Crown Grill is any better since I've never ordered it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I don't know if the lobster you pay for in the Crown Grill is any better since I've never ordered it.

We used to get it in CG before they started charging extra for it. It was OK, but not worth the $10 upcharge. Kind of small and often tasteless. DH basically used them to transfer butter to his mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Isn't most lobster tail actually crayfish ? Big difference in price and quality.  

Ummmm no. Two completely different animals. 

Now what they do serve in the MDR are Caribbean lobsters (also called rock or spiny lobsters).  They are harvested much smaller than Maine lobsters (which is why people are saying they're only 4-6 bites).  But the menu MDR only says lobster, not one pound Maine lobster, and you can order as many as you want, so I never understand why people complain about complimentary lobster in the MDR.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Ummmm no. Two completely different animals. 

Now what they do serve in the MDR are Caribbean lobsters (also called rock or spiny lobsters).  They are harvested much smaller than Maine lobsters (which is why people are saying they're only 4-6 bites).  But the menu MDR only says lobster, not one pound Maine lobster, and you can order as many as you want, so I never understand why people complain about complimentary lobster in the MDR.

Maybe because it is not very good.

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

I do not think that food, once it is cooked, can be retained and served the next day.  I think that would violate the food safety protocols.

Not universally true. I know that once it's put out on the buffet it can't be served again.  I imagine there's a limit on how long, once cooked, food can be kept at temperature until it has to be thrown out.  But it's not unusual to see food on the buffet that's obviously leftovers or somehow re-imagined from the last night's MDR menu.

For example, there is often beef stir fry on the buffet.  I've noticed that the kind of beef used varies, possibly depending on what MDR beef dish was on the menu last night.