Lobster on Buffet??

Mitzelj

4 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Ummmm no. Two completely different animals. 

Now what they do serve in the MDR are Caribbean lobsters (also called rock or spiny lobsters).  They are harvested much smaller than Maine lobsters (which is why people are saying they're only 4-6 bites).  But the menu MDR only says lobster, not one pound Maine lobster, and you can order as many as you want, so I never understand why people complain about complimentary lobster in the MDR.

So, now I am confused. 

When I think of lobster, I think of lobster pots, and small inshore  boats collecting lobsters from the Atlantic off Ireland and Britain or New England. Spiny lobsters etc are just factory farmed, aren't they ?

13 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not universally true. I know that once it's put out on the buffet it can't be served again.  I imagine there's a limit on how long, once cooked, food can be kept at temperature until it has to be thrown out.  But it's not unusual to see food on the buffet that's obviously leftovers or somehow re-imagined from the last night's MDR menu.

For example, there is often beef stir fry on the buffet.  I've noticed that the kind of beef used varies, possibly depending on what MDR beef dish was on the menu last night.

I would like to point out, if the food item is on the line, it cannot (shouldn't ) be repurposed. Certain food items in an enclosed environment in areas such as the galley may be considered for further use in a variety of dishes, if they meet the safety and service standards. Are you a Cowboys or Texans fan ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ldtr said:

I do not think that food, once it is cooked, can be retained and served the next day.  I think that would violate the food safety protocols.

You may be correct and it was my assumption that they were leftovers from the previous night in the DR.

At the buffet they were cold and keep on ice and as I recall had large shrimp mixed in with them. I never saw them do that again.

3 hours ago, alanasgpa said:

There’s 2 formal nights on a 7 night

22 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I meant that lobster is only served in the MDR on one of the two formal nights on a 7-day cruise, notwithstanding the inconsistencies in what Princess may call them (i.e., Princess's website calls them both formal nights).

The lobster tails are either warm water type or really small maine style(actually from Canada) The quality is really lacking as they are prepared & frozen on shore in processing plants.If you really want decent Lobster, I recommend ordering from Crown Grill. You can get it on the MDR menus. It will be about $29(it was in 2020) When we did the buffet on Regal in 2016 it was the most varied buffet we ever saw on a cruise ship. I'm not saying best, but most variety. I'm sure with the cuts since then, the quality & variety are nowhere near as good.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:46 AM, MissP22 said:

We've never seen lobster at the buffet on the same evening as in the DR but one time before the shutdown they did have left over tails the next day at lunch time in the buffet. People in line were going crazy for them, filling their plates, that is until they tasted one. 

Most went into the garbage cans after the first bite.😝

Those dried out husks were pretty awful! The specialty rest. have much better ones. Which of course, you pay a stiff fee.

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Isn't most lobster tail actually crayfish ? Big difference in price and quality.  

I just don't understand why people get worked up over a tough, tasteless piece of flesh. 

I guess you've never had a true Baked Stuffed Lobster like we have in New England. It's not a crawfish. One is freshwater one is ocean. Big difference. I know of the huge Crawfish I've seen on nature videos, but still not the same. Crawfish is the same as Crayfish. just regional preference in name. Like Ketchup v/s Catsup.

Disclaimer: we are not trying to derail this thread or turn it into a Princess/Oceania comparison. 

FWIW. Lobster lovers do well on Oceania. On the menu every night in each of the (no extra charge) specialty restaurants and all you can eat warm water tails on the buffet for dinner every night. Also, lobster and steak sandwich available every day for lunch in the grill.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You may be correct and it was my assumption that they were leftovers from the previous night in the DR.

At the buffet they were cold and keep on ice and as I recall had large shrimp mixed in with them. I never saw them do that again.

Being in the industry, food can be reused, but has to follow the strictest protocols. Best to just toss to avoid issues.

1 minute ago, Croooser said:

Disclaimer: we are not trying to derail this thread or turn it into a Princess/Oceania comparison. 

FWIW. Lobster lovers do well on Oceania. On the menu every night in each of the (no extra charge) specialty restaurants and all you can eat warm water tails on the buffet for dinner every night. Also, lobster and steak sandwich available every day for lunch in the grill.

Gee. Is that any wonder we cruise with them the most? hmmm. We cruise with Princess for the deals we get & the Itinarary, not the food.

• Like 1

Spiney(Caribbean) Lobsters are actually a huge type of shrimp. They can be very good when cooked properly, but tend to overcook very easily. When in Costa Maya port, we make a bee line right to the "Krazy Lobster". They are online. They are very good. You eat on the beach at tables under the trees. You also get a free dog that comes & sits at your feet.. At least we always do LOL!

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

One formal, with a better menu, and one dress to impress night, with standard menu. 

You mentioned this a couple of times and just looking for some more info as our friends don't want to book SD restaurants on a Formal Night (I could care less if miss one of them). 

1. I am not sure if all ships have gone to re-badging the second formal night as DTI.  I have certainly read of a ship or two doing it, including the REGAL IIRC.

2. I just assumed it was a kind of semi-official pullback on clothing recommendations, but figured the second menu would still be offered.

3. I seem to recall in late 2019 that they mixed in one or two dishes from a formal menu into other nights???

4. Would you mind indicating the ships you have been on this year and which formal menu items were dropped?  I certainly do not get excited over the MDR lobster.  Pretty much cafeteria level there.  The prawns served with steak were always much better and more flavorful.

5. From what I have read the Captain Welcome Aboard theme night has been labeled as Formal (1st of the 2 nights).  It's the second night that has been re-labeled.

Thanks for any further insight because if there is truly nothing special on a DTI night, I could get those on the list for potential CG night.  (Of course, might still be a fave dish on a DTI night, but I don't expect you to be able to recreate a menu here).  Hmm.. perhaps I could go back and find a "live from" with menu photos from earlier this summer as not much of that going on right now.  And menus can change too. 

I'm on my second week on the Regal right now. No Lobster in the buffet last week (plenty of fish, not much in way of seafood). But lobster in Dining Room on one formal night and had in Crown Grill too and it was excellent.

The buffet, in general, is excellent and lots of choice and good quality.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I was reading through the regulations and there seems to be an exception for foods that are ready to eat. Since the lobster was served cold it may have been considered to be ready to eat, in which case it could be retained.

1 hour ago, Leo37 said:

I'm on my second week on the Regal right now. No Lobster in the buffet last week (plenty of fish, not much in way of seafood). But lobster in Dining Room on one formal night and had in Crown Grill too and it was excellent.

The buffet, in general, is excellent and lots of choice and good quality.

Have they gone back to having all areas of the buffet open? Instead of the 50% they were running on Royal class ships in the spring.

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

I was reading through the regulations and there seems to be an exception for foods that are ready to eat. Since the lobster was served cold it may have been considered to be ready to eat, in which case it could be retained.

Either way, they were absolutely terrible. 

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You mentioned this a couple of times and just looking for some more info as our friends don't want to book SD restaurants on a Formal Night (I could care less if miss one of them). 

1. I am not sure if all ships have gone to re-badging the second formal night as DTI.  I have certainly read of a ship or two doing it, including the REGAL IIRC.

2. I just assumed it was a kind of semi-official pullback on clothing recommendations, but figured the second menu would still be offered.

3. I seem to recall in late 2019 that they mixed in one or two dishes from a formal menu into other nights???

4. Would you mind indicating the ships you have been on this year and which formal menu items were dropped?  I certainly do not get excited over the MDR lobster.  Pretty much cafeteria level there.  The prawns served with steak were always much better and more flavorful.

5. From what I have read the Captain Welcome Aboard theme night has been labeled as Formal (1st of the 2 nights).  It's the second night that has been re-labeled.

Thanks for any further insight because if there is truly nothing special on a DTI night, I could get those on the list for potential CG night.  (Of course, might still be a fave dish on a DTI night, but I don't expect you to be able to recreate a menu here).  Hmm.. perhaps I could go back and find a "live from" with menu photos from earlier this summer as not much of that going on right now.  And menus can change too. 

We were on Regal for two weeks in the Med this summer.  Club class dining.

First formal night I wore a DJ. Many others did as well. Dress to impress night - I wore my other DJ. But I was very much in the minority.  So, I think,  in reality, Princess have gone down the one formal night per week cruise week. But, we are on Sky out of Southampton in April, and with more Brits on board, the dress to impress night will be more formal.

I'm really sorry, but I have no recollection of the menu offerings on each night, apart from the beef carved and served at your table, which was excellent. 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

First formal night I wore a DJ. Many others did as well. Dress to impress night - I wore my other DJ. But I was very much in the minority.  So, I think,  in reality, Princess have gone down the one formal night per week cruise week. But, we are on Sky out of Southampton in April, and with more Brits on board, the dress to impress night will be more formal.

I'm really sorry, but I have no recollection of the menu offerings on each night, apart from the beef carved and served at your table, which was excellent. 

Okay, thanks.  It was more the menu items I was interested in since your earlier post implied it was more ordinary on the DTI night.  I am finished with dressing up on PCL Formal or DTI nights, and am good with folks being able to dress up/down as they desire.  I a good with a Smart Casual minimum standard.  Since it is Regal you were on, I have been expecting 1 Formal and 1 DTI night in October.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Have they gone back to having all areas of the buffet open? Instead of the 50% they were running on Royal class ships in the spring.

Yes. At the busiest times of breakfast, lunch and dinner everything is open. And then as it gets later / quieter they start closing some bits to clean and prep for the next meal.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Formal or DTI nights, and am good with folks being able to dress up/down as they desire

I have come to accept that expecting everyone to follow formal dress codes, is more or less a lost cause in many instances.

But, On P&O, formal is very much the norm, and Princess cruises out of Southampton also follow the dress code. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Never had beef carved & served at our table. Even in the specialtie rest. I tend to think  things such as this are kicked up a notch or 2 over what we see in the Caribbean.