Sort of live from Discovery 9/16/22

TrustMeI'mANurse

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

TrustMeI'mANurse was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are currently on the Discovery in Alaska. And I thought someone might want to know the good and bad on this 4 month old ship. We've traveled Celebrity and MSC in the past and were looking forward to experiencing the thrill of a ship that wasn't at least a decade old.

The pros- the ship is beautiful and in near immaculate condition. The bathroom in our mini-suite is roomy compared to Aqua Class and laid how super conveniently in our opinion. The room, also, is nicely laid out and roomier than AC on Celebrity. The furnishings are clean and pretty and functional. The staff is exceptionally friendly and eager to please. The medallion app is very convenient for getting into and out of the room without resorting to a key card.

The cons- The Medallion App is glitchy on board. It frequently says I'm 'off ship' when I'm clearly on the ship. As long as it thinks you are off- ship you are not able to access any of the app functions. No contacting crew services, no room service, no checking locations, no ordering drinks.

The wifi is virtually unusable. For a ship that was built in the last two years, it's inexcusable IMO to have no access to wifi for days. I went to the Internet Services office and told them that it takes 15 minutes for a page to load and then you can't click on any links and the crew member told me that is the norm on the ship. WTH? We haven't been able to text with other guests on board because the service is so poor it won't even send IMessage. Really, really irritating when you're trying to prevent 80-year-old guests from having to wander around looking for family. Both Celebrity (20-year-old ship) and MSC (11-year-old ship) had far more efficient wifi. I paid an additional $70 for additional devices and not once has another device been able to connect. This is the first time in 6 days that I've been able to get a page on CC to load.

I tried the super appealing order-to-your-room service on the app and waited an hour for a piece of chocolate cake. After waiting an hour I checked the app and it told me it had been delivered. No, no it had not. I called room service 3 times before someone finally answered and he told me the app is 'glitchy' so I need to call them if I want something. It takes multiple calls to room service before anyone answers.

The productions are not a high priority to us but the two we did see were not to the standards of our previous cruises. The poor little Beatle's impressionist was kind of embarrassing, although a very nice guy it seems.

Our time in port seems to be much shorter than previous cruises, not sure if that's a Princess thing, or an overall cruise situation.

Just our 2 cents. Others will have their own opinions, this is mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Regarding the WiFi...the poor performance you are experiencing is NOT limited to the Discovery.  I was on the Discovery just about a month ago...I know what you mean.  But the entire Princess fleet (depending on the ship location) is dealing with the same issues.  It appears that SES Networks (the satellite services provider) either promised more than they could deliver when Princess started touting "The Best WiFi at Sea" program...or *maybe* Princess, in its currently "strapped for cash" situation cannot step up and pay for the higher level of service that SES claims to be able to provide.  Either way...the Princess forum here on CC has been denouncing this for over a year now.  In some locations (Caribbean, off US coasts) performance is not that bad (according to some).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

We are also on the Discovery and agree with your comments…the pros and cons. The internet connectivity is extremely poor.  Can’t believe they charge for this.  

everything else has been wonderful.  

mthomp5 and TrustMeI'mANurse,

If you happened to pass by the bar next to the International Cafe, or when you order room service,  please kindly ask if the ship carries bottled sparkling mineral water (San Pellegrino and/or Perrier)?  I will be on the Discovery at the end of October and am thinking of exchanging my Elite mini-bar setup for 20 bottles of sparking mineral water.  Thanks in advance!!

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

or *maybe* Princess, in its currently "strapped for cash" situation cannot step up and pay for the higher level of service that SES claims to be able to provide.

The was a very noticeable reduction of signal quality/speed sometime in late January/early February.

I too feel that Princess has opted for a slower, cheaper service.

We sailed the Eastern Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess in early January and everything was fine. Upon sailing the exact same itinerary in mid-February on the Regal, the internet was slower than the dial-up modems on the 1990s. Unusable for the most part.

I believe that they've stopped claiming to have "The Best Wifi At Sea", and rightfully so.

There's only one thing you can do, and that's ask for a refund of your wifi charges, even if it's part of your Plus package. Do it while on board, not after the fact.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The was a very noticeable reduction of signal quality/speed sometime in late January/early February.

I too feel that Princess has opted for a slower, cheaper service.

We sailed the Eastern Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess in early January and everything was fine. Upon sailing the exact same itinerary in mid-February on the Regal, the internet was slower than the dial-up modems on the 1990s. Unusable for the most part.

I believe that they've stopped claiming to have "The Best Wifi At Sea", and rightfully so.

There's only one thing you can do, and that's ask for a refund of your wifi charges, even if it's part of your Plus package. Do it while on board, not after the fact.

With Royal Caribbean going with Musk’s Starlink on all ships, I wonder if other lines will step it up as well. 🤔

26 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

If you happened to pass by the bar next to the International Cafe, or when you order room service,  please kindly ask if the ship carries bottled sparkling mineral water (San Pellegrino and/or Perrier)?  I will be on the Discovery at the end of October and am thinking of exchanging my Elite mini-bar setup for 20 bottles of sparking mineral water.  Thanks in advance!!

I was on the Discovery last April and they did have the small glass bottles of Perrier, had a few everyday. They also had the regular 16oz plastic water bottles, which came in handy when going ashore.

18 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

With Royal Caribbean going with Musk’s Starlink on all ships, I wonder if other lines will step it up as well

I heard one reviewer say Virgin Voyages' connection may be even better than RC.

I'll find out what I can when we sail on the Scarlet Lady next month.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Hi Chubbypiggy,  yes, they have the small glass bottles of Perrier onboard at any of the bars, dining room or via the app.  I would have it at meal time with lime.  No problem getting it.  They also have San Pelligrino.

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Have you tried complaining and asking for a refund?

I submitted a comment card through guest services to complain around Day 2 or 3.  I didn’t ask for a refund but I did tell say that connectivity was so poor, that they shouldn’t be charging passengers for it.  

I’m on Princess Plus so I wasn’t sure how to put a value to how much they should give me.   Maybe what I would’ve had to pay after factoring the Platinum discount?

21 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I’m on Princess Plus so I wasn’t sure how to put a value to how much they should give me.   Maybe what I would’ve had to pay after factoring the Platinum discount?

You are paying $5 a day for internet with the platinum discount.  It's not a lot so even a refund doesn't replace the frustration of not getting what is advertised. Last month I was on the Caribbean Princess and I didn't get any internet for 7 days out of 16. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

You are paying $5 a day for internet with the platinum discount.  It's not a lot so even a refund doesn't replace the frustration of not getting what is advertised. Last month I was on the Caribbean Princess and I didn't get any internet for 7 days out of 16. 

Yikes 7 out of 16 days!  Very true about not replacing the frustration.

17 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Hi Chubbypiggy,  yes, they have the small glass bottles of Perrier onboard at any of the bars, dining room or via the app.  I would have it at meal time with lime.  No problem getting it.  They also have San Pelligrino.

Thank you for finding it out for me; that is great to know.  Hopefully, Room Service is willing to exchange my mini-bar with entirely just sparkling mineral water.

• Like 1

The following was posted on the Princess board regarding the self-laundry on the Discovery Princess.  Those of you who are on the Discovery now, if you happen to pass by the laundry room, please kindly check if the laundry is still free now.  Thank you.

A CC post on 9/2/22.

We were just on the Discovery 2 weeks ago.  I used the laundry facility on the Riviera deck.  Totally free.  The machines are not even equipped with token slots...they are free to use and detergent was available on a shelf.

We were on the Majestic (Mexican Riviera) last October and the WiFi worked great.  We were on the Ruby in June (Alaska) and we, like yourself couldn't use it at all.    I'm not a techie person, but I just thought is was due to the remote location?   I could order drinks 25% of the time, my DH could order anywhere/anytime without issues.   I had the same issue as you with the food.....it says it was delivered but I never got it (we were in our room.....3x this happened).   When my DH would order it would come with no issues.   We both have iPhone 13 Pro Max phones, so I know that's not the issue.    How on earth did we ever cruise before?

I was on this cruise as well and mostly agree with the assessment. The production shows were not good, and the internet was bad. The crew was wonderful, and the ship facilities were great. Medallion worked well for me. I was able to track my son's location, order food/beverages, and look at my folio account without any issues.  Overall, we were happy with the experience.

Sadly, my adult son caught covid on the cruise. That situation was handled very well. They tested both of us (I was negative) and moved him to an ocean-view quarantine cabin. After he left, they cleaned and disinfected our cabin. After that, I self-isolated in our cabin, over and above what was strictly required, out of courtesy to other passengers. He said the cabin was comfortable and they did a good job taking care of his medical needs. Disembarkation was a bit of a hassle since he had to do it separately. Seattle is our home port, so he is now home and resting. I can't say how they would handle the situation if additional services like a hotel was needed after the cruise.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for finding it out for me; that is great to know.  Hopefully, Room Service is willing to exchange my mini-bar with entirely just sparkling mineral water.

Not a problem. We've exchanged for just plain water, coffee cards/pkgs, and a mixture of non-alcohol drinks. (Note: not all at the same time. Different cruises)

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Not a problem. We've exchanged for just plain water, coffee cards/pkgs, and a mixture of non-alcohol drinks. (Note: not all at the same time. Different cruises)

From CC posts that I read, exchanging the mini-bar for all plain water or coffee packages or a mixture of non-alcohol drinks is no problem.  But someone mentioned there might be a problem if exchanging all 20 items for all Perrier or San Pellegrino.  

7 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

The following was posted on the Princess board regarding the self-laundry on the Discovery Princess.  Those of you who are on the Discovery now, if you happen to pass by the laundry room, please kindly check if the laundry is still free now.  Thank you.

A CC post on 9/2/22.

We were just on the Discovery 2 weeks ago.  I used the laundry facility on the Riviera deck.  Totally free.  The machines are not even equipped with token slots...they are free to use and detergent was available on a shelf.

Hi,  we did laundry on the Discovery last week Thursday and there was no charge for the self service laundry and even for the laundry detergent and dryer sheets.  The Medallion app had an option to have laundry detergent delivered so we placed an order for it.  But our steward, must have seen our request and knocked on our door to tell us the detergent was in the laundry room.   The app said there was a fee for dryer sheets but those were also available in the laundry room for no charge.  

There were no token slots on the machines.