El Loco Fresh Vegetarian Optiond

zazucirca

Vegan or vegetarian?  

Both are plants so they are in the most simplistic way vegetables so vegetarian.  However some vegans don't consider rice in the most extreme definitions of vegan.  

You may need to explain your idea of the answer you are seeking.  

On 9/17/2022 at 11:46 AM, twangster said:

However some vegans don't consider rice in the most extreme definitions of vegan.  

I find this absolutely hilarious.... in what way, shape, or form could rice be considered "not vegan"? 

Unless they're taking into consideration the minute amount of bug parts that might be in it, but then again, you're gonna get that in any grain and on any unwashed (and even washed) fruits/vegetables.  

57 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I find this absolutely hilarious.... in what way, shape, or form could rice be considered "not vegan"? 

Unless they're taking into consideration the minute amount of bug parts that might be in it, but then again, you're gonna get that in any grain and on any unwashed (and even washed) fruits/vegetables.  

A vegetable is a vegetable and no only science can change that. 

What constitutes vegan and to what extent one follows vegan principles can vary by the individual.  It's not just about the content of the item but in some cases how it is produced.  For example some vegans will apply vegan concepts to clothing.   

For some it's less about being vegetables and more about animal involvement or even carbon footprint to some.  To some if there is the possibility or hint of animal cruelty involved in something that violates their vegan principles.  To some it's more than animal cruelty but any animal involvement at all that will cause a violation.  To others it's about the carbon footprint of an item.  All or some of the above is where rice can run afoul - to some vegans.

The things about veganism is that's it's not a binary science based concept like vegetable is.  Something is a vegetable or it's not.   An item like rice might not cross some vegan thresholds while some vegans may consider the animal involvement in some foreign countries or the carbon footprint of rice as a qualifier to flag it as a violation.  It's not an absolute scientific application, it's up to each individual to draw their own lines.  There will be some vegans that take offense to my use of words as in their minds it is absolute and in their minds so obvious that they are shaking their arms in disgust at my words.  

That's the thing when you venture in vegan questions - you have to know the individual you are talking to and what their personal level of veganism is.  

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's the thing when you venture in vegan questions - you have to know the individual you are talking to and what their personal level of veganism is.  

I guess a "totally strict vegan" would have to literally grow every single thing that goes in their mouths and on their bodies, then, to ensure no animals were involved in the creation of the product.  I mean, what if the tractor ran over an ant in the field?  Or what if the semi that delivered the product to the store ran over a squirrel in the road?  Sheesh.  

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I guess a "totally strict vegan" would have to literally grow every single thing that goes in their mouths and on their bodies, then, to ensure no animals were involved in the creation of the product.  I mean, what if the tractor ran over an ant in the field?  Or what if the semi that delivered the product to the store ran over a squirrel in the road?  Sheesh.  

I don't think most vegans are looking to account for incidentals and apply them in absolutes.   "Totaly strict" isn't defined anywhere.  It's up to each to define the limits they can accept.   

Some people who are religious don't practice their religion in absolutes every day while others try harder to do exactly that. 

It's not anyone's business the degree to which one chooses to follow, but without knowing how strictly they follow makes it difficult to answer a question.   

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's simple.  The traditional way refried beans are made is with lard.  It makes them muy delicioso..   However they are not vegetarian.   Some restaurants now use veggie oils to make them vegetarian friendly.  As for the rice, same thing.  Traditional Mexican rice is sautéed in oil before adding liquid.   If this oil is lard, once again not vegetarian.   I assume this is what the OP is asking about.  

On 9/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, neverbeenhere said:
On 9/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, cndcruiser65 said:

Why can't someone just ask a question without someone having to make a mockery of?

I don't feel twangster or brillohead were mocking.  In fact, I learned a lot about vegan vs vegetarian from their posts.  Did not realize so much was involved.  So I agree the OP needs to clarify what they are willing to accept when asking this question.  If it is just lard, then they need to say that.   

• Like 1