Do you know why Norwegian doesn’t have more sailings in the summer months out of NY?

Lreeves316

I’m kind of bummed out here. Only 3 sailings for may and June to Bermuda and Virginia Beach out of ny. My son loves being on the ocean and doesn’t really want to dock for days in Bermuda. It’s beautiful there of course, but we’ve been there many times since this would be our 19th cruise. I had nothing but bad experiences on Royal, Carnival was horrible and Princess was nice but they never go out of ny in the summer anymore. Celebrity I never tried but only going to South Carolina Rhode Island and Bermuda again for days. I’ve had the most fun on Norwegian, but I don’t think they like ny in the summer lol  Do you think they might add some sailings for 2023 summer months or is it too late for that? 

Great to see your first post.

Probably not. Unfortunately, there are not many places to go from NY or Boston. If you go south, it is a long haul to get to Nassau,,, which isn't very exciting. And they sail north for the fall foliage, so May/June is not prime time for that. Consider sailing out of a busier port like Miami. 

Back in the day before the pandemic, they was two ships sailing during the summer months. One ship did the Bermuda runs and the other ship did the Florida-Bahamas

Bermuda cruises is the main money maker for NCL as that is the most popular cruises. The Florida-Bahamas cruises was the least popular which could be why NCL has stop doing those cruises out of NYC. IMHO, it would be nice if they did some of the 8-10 day cruises during the summer months like what they do during the winter.

15 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

For the 2023 season, I see about 40 options for you sailing out of NYC between May - Aug on NCL & MSC if you were willing to give them a try. So you need to get a bit better with how you're searching for trips if you can only find 3 of these.

There are only three different NCL itineraries sailing from NY in May and June 2023, so the OP is right...but should have used the word "itineraries" instead of "sailings". The OP doesn't like the NCL itineraries available during those months so more sailings doesn't result in cruises they want to take.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There are only three different NCL itineraries sailing from NY in May and June 2023, so the OP is right...but should have used the word "itineraries" instead of "sailings". The OP doesn't like the NCL itineraries available during those months so more sailings doesn't result in cruises they want to take.

You’re right. Should of used itineraries 😁. The Gem is going out in April for a 10 day Caribbean trip. Oh how I wish this was a little later lol  I’m still looking at it though. I’ve only done Bermuda and Bahamas/Florida with Norwegian. That April itinerary looks awesome! I love Grand Turk. 

Where exactly is it that you want the ship to go though if it has to leave from NY and can only sail in the summer? You're definitely limited in options since NY is so far from just about everything. 

If it's sea days that you like, why have you not considered a transatlantic sailing? 

Also, if the OP doesn't know, the ship has to make a foreign port call, otherwise the ship would be subject to US laws, that is why there are no cruises to ports along the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. only.  Pride of America is registered in the US and adheres to US laws.

Edited by epanchenko

19 hours ago, shof515 said:

Back in the day before the pandemic, they was two ships sailing during the summer months. One ship did the Bermuda runs and the other ship did the Florida-Bahamas

As life returns to normal, I wonder if they'll bring back the Florida - Bahamas itinerary out of NYC.

I don't particularly want to go on that itinerary, but because it's nice to have more than one option.

Maybe I'm missing something...it's been known to happen! 

Isn't the Florida/Bahamas run sailing out of NYC? Based on @Sailing12Away's post it appears so. Also, @dcipjr weren't you and I just on the same cruise out of NYC to Bahamas/Florida/almost Bermuda, but Hurricane Earl stopped that? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong screenname? Or, are you looking for a similar to what we did itinerary, being only the Bahamas and stops in Florida? 

55 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Maybe I'm missing something...it's been known to happen! 

Isn't the Florida/Bahamas run sailing out of NYC? Based on @Sailing12Away's post it appears so. Also, @dcipjr weren't you and I just on the same cruise out of NYC to Bahamas/Florida/almost Bermuda, but Hurricane Earl stopped that? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong screenname? Or, are you looking for a similar to what we did itinerary, being only the Bahamas and stops in Florida? 

We most certainly were! I was referring more to the pre-COVID summer cruise lineup out of NYC.

NCL is still doing occasional Florida / Bahamas runs from NYC (after all, we were on one!), but in the "before times", it was offered weekly throughout the summer months.

The Saturday departure from NYC would go to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and GSC, while the Sunday departure would be going to Bermuda, pretty much from May through August.

NYC essentially had two ships homeported there for the entire season. NCL isn't back to that service level quite yet—or maybe they've settled on homeporting a single ship for Bermuda runs, with occasional Bahamas / Florida runs from other ships (like we had on the Getaway).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

We most certainly were! I was referring more to the pre-COVID summer cruise lineup out of NYC.

NCL is still doing occasional Florida / Bahamas runs from NYC (after all, we were on one!), but in the "before times", it was offered weekly throughout the summer months.

The Saturday departure from NYC would go to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and GSC, while the Sunday departure would be going to Bermuda, pretty much from May through August.

NYC essentially had two ships homeported there for the entire season. NCL isn't back to that service level quite yet—or maybe they've settled on homeporting a single ship for Bermuda runs, with occasional Bahamas / Florida runs from other ships (like we had on the Getaway).

Ahh, thank you! That's helpful. I didn't really know what occurred pre-COVID as I started cruising NCL during the pandemic. 🙂

Yes, let's hope a few more ports open up! I know we want more than Bermuda too.

7 hours ago, dcipjr said:

As life returns to normal, I wonder if they'll bring back the Florida - Bahamas itinerary out of NYC.

I don't particularly want to go on that itinerary, but because it's nice to have more than one option.

I'm thinking that NCL doesn't want to directly compete with MSC  on the  Florida/Bahama run out of NYC. Also Royal's Oasis of the Seas packs in over 6k passengers weekly (Spring-Fall)  out of Cape Liberty on their Florida/Bahama itinerary. 

I did notice the Bahamas/Florida run is missing this summer with NCL. Hopefully it will come back. It’s just that the last few cruises I went on was RC because they seem to have better itineraries. Unfortunately, I didn’t have such great experiences on their ships. I want to stick with NCL because we always love the experience onboard. The April run out of ny on the Gem looks too good to pass up. I noticed the suites are sold out already. I see another one again in April to Bermuda, Bahamas and Orlando on the Getaway. Have a feeling my summer vacation is going to be in April lol.