Three things you should never do when booking Oceania

Robjame

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Agree ABSOLUTELY! Even worse, I would be spending my long pre-cruise anticipation period on the CC celebrity forum. Those same people are posting on cruisecritic. They are not a welcoming and affirming crowd, (spoken tongue in cheek).

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Whatever numbers you use for comparison, just remember that, when you walk out of the Celebrity cabin, you’re still on Celebrity.

Not sure what you are implying...  Just back from a wonderful time on Reflection in a great cabin and attentive crew - the only downside being the heat in Italy.  Have been cruising since the 1950s and so far O regulars have not, in general, been a "welcoming and affirming crowd."  Reserving judgment and hopefully the O experience on board will be more like Azamara.  So far, pre-cruise, O's excursion policies, high beverage pricing and its absurd air practices/costs have been a complete turn-off.  Thankfully as experienced travelers we have been able to mitigate those challenges.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not sure what you are implying...  Just back from a wonderful time on Reflection in a great cabin and attentive crew - the only downside being the heat in Italy.  Have been cruising since the 1950s and so far O regulars have not, in general, been a "welcoming and affirming crowd."  Reserving judgment and hopefully the O experience on board will be more like Azamara.  So far, pre-cruise, O's excursion policies, high beverage pricing and its absurd air practices/costs have been a complete turn-off.  Thankfully as experienced travelers we have been able to mitigate those challenges.

Old Azamara? Perhaps yes - except for the far better O food. New Azamara (after the Sycamore Partners purchase)? The jury’s still out.

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You seem to be setting yourself up for a disappointment by going on Oceania. You will probably look for every little thing to pick apart. Have you considered canceling and booking a line you know you like?

Funny you mention the high cost of Oceania’s drink package, yet Celebrity’s, which you seem to love, is $20 a day more.  Go figure. Yes, change is hard, it’s a different cruise line with different policies and procedures. It really isn’t that hard, multiple people have posted multiple times explaining the ins and outs of booking Oceania.  All the negativity seems misplaced. 

• Like 2

It’s really amusingly weird and disturbing that too many people on here (entire Cruise Critic spectrum) like to define themselves by the cruise lines they patronize and vice versa.

Life is not that simple or predictable.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Psoque said:

It’s really amusingly weird and disturbing that too many people on here (entire Cruise Critic spectrum) like to define themselves by the cruise lines they patronize and vice versa.

Life is not that simple or predictable.

What’s particularly funny is how some here go on and on about how sophisticated and well traveled Oceania cruisers are versus those other lines, when many of us cruise on multiple lines. I guess in their minds, all that sophistication and travel experience disappears when people step onto another line for what may be a superior itinerary! 😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Old Azamara? Perhaps yes - except for the far better O food. New Azamara (after the Sycamore Partners purchase)? The jury’s still out.

Have you actually cruised on Azamara in the last five years?  Curious because in deciding how much an opinion is worth, I like to know if it is based on firsthand experience.

14 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Have you actually cruised on Azamara in the last five years?  Curious because in deciding how much an opinion is worth, I like to know if it is based on firsthand experience.

Re-read my post. I offered no opinion on the “new” Azamara other than (from what reviews I’ve seen plus common sense) it’s too early to know how the purchase by Sycamore in spring 2021 has affected Azamara’s previously fine reputation. Ergo, “the jury’s still out.”

40 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Re-read my post. I offered no opinion on the “new” Azamara other than (from what reviews I’ve seen plus common sense) it’s too early to know how the purchase by Sycamore in spring 2021 has affected Azamara’s previously fine reputation. Ergo, “the jury’s still out.”

OK let's try this differently, have you EVER cruised on Azamara or are you are opining about the food of a cruise line you have zero firsthand experience with?  It's a really easy yes or no question. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

What’s particularly funny is how some here go on and on about how sophisticated and well traveled Oceania cruisers are versus those other lines, when many of us cruise on multiple lines. I guess in their minds, all that sophistication and travel experience disappears when people step onto another line for what may be a superior itinerary! 😂😂

Well stated.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

You seem to be setting yourself up for a disappointment by going on Oceania. You will probably look for every little thing to pick apart. Have you considered canceling and booking a line you know you like?

Funny you mention the high cost of Oceania’s drink package, yet Celebrity’s, which you seem to love, is $20 a day more.  Go figure. Yes, change is hard, it’s a different cruise line with different policies and procedures. It really isn’t that hard, multiple people have posted multiple times explaining the ins and outs of booking Oceania.  All the negativity seems misplaced. 

Why would you even write something like that?  We cruise based on itinerary and ship.  Do not buy "drink packages" as we may imbibe 4 or 5 times during a cruise - even when drinks are included.  Not "foodies" either.  RCI is now charging $70pp for a "specialty" restaurant.  Crazy.  FYI, tried Celebrity's Edge class once - no intention of doing that again.  Fed up with Princess.  Have sailed with RCI and have no interest on setting foot again on an Oasis class.  Liked our one cruise on Hurtigruten south of the Antarctic Circle - Fram is a nice ship with great crew.  Like river cruising but that is now becoming iffy with the low river levels in Europe.  Might do a Mekong cruise - would like to experience Ankor Wat.  Cruising Oz was great - especially the land tours.  

We have experienced many cruise lines and more ships then I want to recall.  So far, Oceania has presented itself as the worst to do business with with its convoluted practices.  Don't care for that.  Seems officious and condescending at the same time.  Again, as I previously stated, the confusing price structures appear to be designed primarily to squeeze monies out of passengers, not to help decide options.  The air fees are ridiculous - its like they don't want passengers using O Air.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Again, as I previously stated, the confusing price structures appear to be designed primarily to squeeze monies out of passengers, not to help decide options.  The air fees are ridiculous - its like they don't want passengers using O Air.

As mentioned several times  on this forum 

you do not need to take the air  just book the "cruise  only fare"

Simple & straight forward 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

OK let's try this differently, have you EVER cruised on Azamara or are you are opining about the food of a cruise line you have zero firsthand experience with?  It's a really easy yes or no question. 

Even better…

I was once at a meeting almost a decade ago attended by the then CEO of Azamara, Larry Pimentel, and I had the opportunity to ask him how HE compared the two lines - Oceania and Azamara - since they were considered by many in maritime circles to be the poster children for “premium” cruising. His answer was simple with words to the effect: “Oceania is for food. Azamara is for overnights in ports.” 

I’ve always been fine with that truthful answer (and glad that, in recent years, O has added so many port overnights to its longer itineraries). Most importantly, however: Since the food issue is so high on my cruise requirement list, I’ve never felt the need to prove Mr Pimentel wrong about his line’s priorities. 

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Even better…

I was once at a meeting almost a decade ago attended by the then CEO of Azamara, Larry Pimentel, and I had the opportunity to ask him how HE compared the two lines - Oceania and Azamara - since they were considered by many in maritime circles to be the poster children for “premium” cruising. His answer was simple with words to the effect: “Oceania is for food. Azamara is for overnights in ports.” 

I’ve always been fine with that truthful answer (and glad that, in recent years, O has added so many port overnights to its longer itineraries). Most importantly, however: Since the food issue is so high on my cruise requirement list, I’ve never felt the need to prove Mr Pimentel wrong about his line’s priorities. 

So no, thanks for clarifying.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

So no, thanks for clarifying.

You keep missing the point.

Personally,  I have no “opinion” about (nor interest in) Azamara. What I initially stated in this thread was a summary statement about what my, your (or anyone’s) search on CC (particularly regarding first hand experiences about the two lines’ food posted over many years) would find.

And then I provided you with Azamara’s former CEO’s conclusion on the issue. 

Still not enough for you? Just do your own search here (for first hand opinions, albeit sans any academic rigor) and add to that some research on what food publications and major metro news food writers have had to say about their conclusions regarding the best in cruise line food. 

Or, you could just try the “new” Azamara for yourself.

8 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I am not disparaging your opinion. However I notice in your description of celebrity, never do you mention how much you enjoyed making new acquaintances on X. I have posted more than once on the O forum that the best thing I like about O are my fellow passengers. I meet really interesting people, not many tr011s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I am not disparaging your opinion. However I notice in your description of celebrity, never do you mention how much you enjoyed making new acquaintances on X. I have posted more than once on the O forum that the best thing I like about O are my fellow passengers. I meet really interesting people, not many tr011s.

I have met interesting people on every one of the cruises we have taken, so unless I have really low standards, there are "interesting people" everywhere, even on non-Oceania ships.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I really got the point.  You expressed an opinion of the food on a line you have never been on, that was the point I got.

You are still wrong and illogical. Out of courtesy, I won’t ask where you were taught about logic. Let’s just leave it at “agreeing to disagree” and move on with a focus on this Oceania “Do & Don’t” topic.

What have your many O experiences taught you?

Although a seasoned traveller I was a little confused by Oceania’s pricing. However I did not get the chance to be educated by this board and went for: beverage pack which I will upgrade for a short Caribbean cruise; OBC for a three week cruise SA cruise. 

I booked via different UK TAs and managed a couple of percent off and indifferent service. I believe US TAs add value but with recent exchange rates and need to use specific sterling CCs (for airpoints) with forex charges not viable. The Caribbean cruise originally was a transpacific which I cancelled thinking O would do (it did). The TA had the temerity to charge me an Admin fee and the rearranged cruise was the book price😡

Saved several hundred dollars on the SA cruise by arranging small group tours and will bring my own wine for dinner and gin for the cabin. OBC will pay gratuity, corkage and G&Ts in bars. Am earning little in deposit account anyway.

That OBC is worth more to me now than previously with the demise of sterling🙁.

As said am a seasoned traveller so flying Biz class direct on airpoints and hotels on  Hilton points/ Hotels.com points. 

Good tip about booking onboard. 

• Like 1

I feel that we got screwed with our 3 free OLife excursions choice because we had 1 port cancelled (at sea), 1 excursion cancelled, and 1 port switched for another/new port (both of these were tenders with rough waters).  It got very complicated with swapping out the OLife excursions or getting some kind of credit for them- they would not give us the full value credit of the excursion booked and cancelled due to port changes; we only got $100 OBC.  There were other guests upset and haggling with Destination Services on these same issues.  

5 minutes ago, adorocke said:

I feel that we got screwed with our 3 free OLife excursions choice because we had 1 port cancelled (at sea), 1 excursion cancelled, and 1 port switched for another/new port (both of these were tenders with rough waters).  It got very complicated with swapping out the OLife excursions or getting some kind of credit for them- they would not give us the full value credit of the excursion booked and cancelled due to port changes; we only got $100 OBC.  There were other guests upset and haggling with Destination Services on these same issues.  

OLife shore excursions are never a good deal. They are offered to the guests for the pure sake of convenience and represents a significant profit center for Oceania. Even with the possibility of a 25% discount from volume purchases, one is still typically paying 2X+ the cost of a comparable private tour. Multiply that by two people and it’s often silly.

• Like 2