Grand Turk Dock Damage

Mr305

Hearing that the dock at Grand Turk has been damaged by Hurricane Fiona, with some pieces breaking apart.  Has anyone heard of the same?  We have a cruise to this port in November, this would be a shame.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone on the island, wishing them the best.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr305 said:

Hearing that the dock at Grand Turk has been damaged by Hurricane Fiona, with some pieces breaking apart.  Has anyone heard of the same?  We have a cruise to this port in November, this would be a shame.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone on the island, wishing them the best.

Where did you “hear” this?

There's a Twitter video from The Big Speaker that shows the beach area and says the dock is damaged.  You can see the metal walkways on the beach and in the distance you can see pieces of the pier/dock still standing.

10 minutes ago, bobbins1961 said:

Scheduled to be at Grand Turk on the Mardi Gras next Thurs Sept 29th.  We'll see if we even get to visit.  Also supposed to go to San Juan, PR and to Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  Might be a wholesale rerouting of our cruise.  😬

You’ll have to come back and let us know what Carnival does. I’m sure once the damage can be surveyed they’ll know more. But I don’t have a good feeling about your cruise going to GT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

They can aways tender in in grand turk

2 hours ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

I don’t think they have enough/adequate water shuttles to tender Mardi Gras 6,000+ passengers every week plus she’s usually there with Freedom. That’s almost a 10,000 port load. 

And...I don't believe there is an adequate dock near their terminal for the shuttles to dock at.

Out on Jack's Shack FB page there's a US Coast Guard video surveying the entire island for damage.  Lots of roofs off (some might be from prior hurricane).  Small excursion pier looks undamaged from air.  Main pier looks like the very end got washed away.  Might have been part of the new extension construction.  Lots of damage on beach heading up to Jack's and lots of flooding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

small dock where snorkeling and whale watching boats depart. 

If the strong concrete pier didn't survive I find it hard to believe that one survived, but stranger things have happened...

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If the strong concrete pier didn't survive I find it hard to believe that one survived, but stranger things have happened...

I think the portion of the big pier that washed away was the under construction portion.  Not sure how complete that was at the time.  Pilings still up.

1 hour ago, bobbins1961 said:

Scheduled to be at Grand Turk on the Mardi Gras next Thurs Sept 29th.  We'll see if we even get to visit.  Also supposed to go to San Juan, PR and to Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  Might be a wholesale rerouting of our cruise.  😬

Yikes! 3 of the 4 ports you were visiting have significant hurricane damage.  Don't be surprised if you get switched to a totally different route.  But look at the bright side - you will be going somewhere!

1 hour ago, bobbins1961 said:

We’re on the same itinerary in January. It will be interesting to see what damages there are. If there is major dock damage, I don’t know how long that takes to fix but I’m sure it not quick. We really love this itinerary because the only port that is a repeat is GT and I love it. And Puerto Rico is somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit too. It’s a bummer, but I’m sure if needed, carnival will change it around to allow us to have a good cruise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Yikes! 3 of the 4 ports you were visiting have significant hurricane damage.  Don't be surprised if you get switched to a totally different route.  But look at the bright side - you will be going somewhere!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, so to speak, I'm supposed to be in Jamaica on Tuesday (27th), Grand Cayman on Wednesday (28th), Cozumel on Thursday (29th).  With this big tropical storm approaching, possibly turning into hurricane this weekend, don't think I'm gonna visit any of my places either. This is cruising during hurricane season, you gotta be ready and flexible for changes.

Edited by BeachDiva101