Free airfare on Regent

StarFlyr

Been a while since we used Regent with Air included.  Does Regent usually allow travel on different days.  What I mean is we always want to come in a day early and in some causes depart for home a day later than the day the cruise ends.  In either case we would probably pay for the extra day(s)

Edited by StarFlyr

5 minutes ago, cwn said:

There is a deviation fee for that. 

Does Regent usually allow deviations?  I've only used Regent once where they allowed me to come in a day early (Istanbul) and I don't remember paying a fee. Thanks for reminding me about deviations!

‘Free Airfare” is a misnomer. You pay for that with your cruise fares. If you choose to book your own flights, you are subject to a reimbursement on your air travel. Like virtually all cruise lines, the word “free” is very loosely thrown out there. 

8 hours ago, Gpilon said:

‘Free Airfare” is a misnomer. You pay for that with your cruise fares. ...

Completely correct, of course.  But ....
Since Regent books flights for a large number of people, they get a good deal from the airlines. How much money it is and how much of that is passed along to us passengers is not known, but in general Regent air or even rolling your own and paying the deviation fee is usually a pretty good deal.

14 hours ago, cwn said:

There is a deviation fee for that. 

If you have your trip planned out prior to booking, more than likely you will not face a deviation fee. I have done this on 3 out of 5 Regent sailings, and never paid a deviation fee, as long as your airports stay the same.  A regent rep once told me that as long as your flights occur within 30 days of your embarkation or debarkation, they can be included. Tell your TA, or the Regent phone rep your plans, and they will get it done.

If you change something after the initial flight booking, usually 90 dys prior to embarkation,  then you will be charged the deviation fee.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary!

8 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

If you have your trip planned out prior to booking, more than likely you will not face a deviation fee. I have done this on 3 out of 5 Regent sailings, and never paid a deviation fee, as long as your airports stay the same.  A regent rep once told me that as long as your flights occur within 30 days of your embarkation or debarkation, they can be included. Tell your TA, or the Regent phone rep your plans, and they will get it done.

If you change something after the initial flight booking, usually 90 dys prior to embarkation,  then you will be charged the deviation fee.

Correct.

9 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

23 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Correct.

I am confused. As far as I know and have experienced on flights from the US and Canada, if you have a pre-cruise package or a stay at the Regent hotel in the embarkation port, there will be no deviation fee if you arrive at the start of your package or hotel stay. If you arrive earlier than the start of your package or hotel stay, you must pay a deviation fee. If you arrive prior to embarkation day without a package or hotel stay, you must pay the deviation fee. Similarly, unless you have a post cruise Regent package or hotel stay, you must pay a deviation fee if your flight is not on the day you disembark the ship.

It is correct that there is a 30 day window on each side of the cruise in which to use Regent air.   However, that fact does not alter the necessity of paying a deviation fee as outlined above.

Just to be clear, a single deviation fee covers either OW or RT flights to and from the ship.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don’t want to give out incorrect information.

Dave

18 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

I am confused. As far as I know and have experienced on flights from the US and Canada, if you have a pre-cruise package or a stay at the Regent hotel in the embarkation port, there will be no deviation fee if you arrive at the start of your package or hotel stay. If you arrive earlier than the start of your package or hotel stay, you must pay a deviation fee. If you arrive prior to embarkation day without a package or hotel stay, you must pay the deviation fee. Similarly, unless you have a post cruise Regent package or hotel stay, you must pay a deviation fee if your flight is not on the day you disembark the ship.

It is correct that there is a 30 day window on each side of the cruise in which to use Regent air.   However, that fact does not alter the necessity of paying a deviation fee as outlined above.

Just to be clear, a single deviation fee covers either OW or RT flights to and from the ship.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don’t want to give out incorrect information.

Dave

I can only speak from my experiences.....

A few years ago we travelled on Regent through the Med. Embarkation was in Rome (Citavecchia). We wanted to stay in Rome for a few days prior, and only used the standard one night prior hotel stay pre cruise. So when we booked, we stated that we wanted to arrive 3 days early, and would make our own way to the Regent pre-cruise hotel on the day before embarkation. Regent took that as part of our reservation, and the flight details (when they arrived 90 days prior to the cruise) reflected that request. So we stayed in Rome (can't remember the hotel), and then one day prior to the cruise, we caught a taxi to the Regent pre-cruise hotel, which was a Sheraton Golf Resort.

This year, we wanted to change our return flights from Amsterdam. When we booked, we asked for 3 nights in Amsterdam (again, not using the Regent post-cruise package). The flights provided reflected this request, but would have required 2 stops to get back to Orlando. We did not want this, so we requested a deviation. We paid $175pp for this deviation, but this was due to the fact that we did not accept the proposed flights.

Again, I don't know if my experience was unique, but this is what happened. But, even if they had charged $350 per couple for deviations in the first example, that would have been less than 2% of the total cruise fare, and I would have gladly paid it!

Edited by dvalentine823
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

I can only speak from my experiences.....

A few years ago we travelled on Regent through the Med. Embarkation was in Rome (Citavecchia). We wanted to stay in Rome for a few days prior, and only used the standard one night prior hotel stay pre cruise. So when we booked, we stated that we wanted to arrive 3 days early, and would make our own way to the Regent pre-cruise hotel on the day before embarkation. Regent took that as part of our reservation, and the flight details (when they arrived 90 days prior to the cruise) reflected that request. So we stayed in Rome (can't remember the hotel), and then one day prior to the cruise, we caught a taxi to the Regent pre-cruise hotel, which was a Sheraton Golf Resort.

This year, we wanted to change our return flights from Amsterdam. When we booked, we asked for 3 nights in Amsterdam (again, not using the Regent post-cruise package). The flights provided reflected this request, but would have required 2 stops to get back to Orlando. We did not want this, so we requested a deviation. We paid $175pp for this deviation, but this was due to the fact that we did not accept the proposed flights.

Again, I don't know if my experience was unique, but this is what happened. But, even if they had charged $350 per couple for deviations in the first example, that would have been less than 2% of the total cruise fare, and I would have gladly paid it!

Daren, interesting experience. It was certainly unlike anything I or others on this board have experienced. At the time you booked your Mediterranean cruise were you platinum or above or was a deviation a perk of your suite if such a perk exists? Seven Seas Society members who are platinum or above get one free deviation per cruise. If you had a free deviation, that would explain what you experienced. The deviation fee after you changed your flights post cruise would have been assessed because it was your second deviation. If you did not have a free deviation perk, I guess you got lucky and someone made a mistake.

By the way, I’m enjoying your videos. I’m looking forward to the videos from the rest of your cruise since we will be on the Voyager in November.

Dave

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, StarFlyr said:

Been a while since we used Regent with Air included.  Does Regent usually allow travel on different days.  What I mean is we always want to come in a day early and in some causes depart for home a day later than the day the cruise ends.  In either case we would probably pay for the extra day(s)

This might be redundant (sorry) but if you want to pick your own flight itinerary you can do so with a $175 per person non-refundable Deviation Fee.  You can select your flights 270 out.  You contact Regent with your request and if the flights have contract seats you get them for no upcharge, just the $175 fee.  If those flights aren't contract rates you might be able to pay the difference.  BUT, you can also look at other routings.  We had Dublin-Atlanta booked in 2020 (cruise cancelled).  We couldn't get the non-stop without a $1000 per person upgrade fee. But we could get Dublin-Boston-Atlanta for no further charge.  

So if you want to go a few days early or stay late, have a couple of acceptable routings available when you contact Regent and see what they will offer.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

So, I asked my TA about being able to book same to/from but on different day.  Yes, deviation imposed UNLESS you are an upper tier RSSC member (Platinum Seven Seas Society). So, that is why there are varying answers.  Good to know....

+1. Also, fyi, the to/from cities may be different. We have flown from Los Angeles and returned to San Diego. 

Dave

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:51 AM, papaflamingo said:

This might be redundant (sorry) but if you want to pick your own flight itinerary you can do so with a $175 per person non-refundable Deviation Fee.  You can select your flights 270 out.  You contact Regent with your request and if the flights have contract seats you get them for no upcharge, just the $175 fee.  If those flights aren't contract rates you might be able to pay the difference.  BUT, you can also look at other routings.  We had Dublin-Atlanta booked in 2020 (cruise cancelled).  We couldn't get the non-stop without a $1000 per person upgrade fee. But we could get Dublin-Boston-Atlanta for no further charge.  

So if you want to go a few days early or stay late, have a couple of acceptable routings available when you contact Regent and see what they will offer.  

Clarification - pick your own get the charge BUT Regent may have multiple options without charge and one of those may work for you. This might also explain the people getting charged vs. not. 

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Clarification - pick your own get the charge BUT Regent may have multiple options without charge and one of those may work for you. This might also explain the people getting charged vs. not. 

Yes, but in order to secure your flights 270 days out you'll have to pay the $175 deviation fee. If you doh't want to pay that, then you wait until Regent assigns flights at about 75 days or so before the cruise. 

On 9/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, DaveFr said:

Daren, interesting experience. It was certainly unlike anything I or others on this board have experienced. At the time you booked your Mediterranean cruise were you platinum or above or was a deviation a perk of your suite if such a perk exists? Seven Seas Society members who are platinum or above get one free deviation per cruise. If you had a free deviation, that would explain what you experienced. The deviation fee after you changed your flights post cruise would have been assessed because it was your second deviation. If you did not have a free deviation perk, I guess you got lucky and someone made a mistake.

No, I did not have any perks related to the suite or SS Society. Maybe I just got lucky! 

On 9/26/2022 at 8:43 AM, puppyluv1 said:

Does anyone know if Regent only has contracts with certain airlines and which ones they are?

Although I don't know for sure, but seems they have contracts with most airlines.  But they don't have contract rates on ALL flights from each of the airlines.   It tends to vary.  We were trying to deviate to Sydney then home from Tokyo.  I live in Atlanta. We could get the Delta non-stop from Tokyo to Atlanta, but couldn't get ANY Delta flight to Sydney.  The only way to really know if they have a contract rate for the flights you want is to put in for those flights and see what happens. 

Edited by papaflamingo