Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

On 7/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, CJANDH said:

Thank you RJ. I must have missed this. Understandable. Hope they get me sorted in a week or so.

It was approximately two weeks before we received our confirmation of flights after our submittal for flight deviation.  We received the flights we requested (MCO to MIA and nonstop MIA to BCN) with no additional charge other than the deviation fee.

I have twice requested Regent to provide custom (deviation) air, and have only received an auto response that Regent is busy and will respond.  How long does it usually take Regent to respond?

As an interested question to those who have taken both RSSC and Seabourn: How do you compare (ease/reachable, flexibility, pricing) the two for a preference? I understand the differences between the two lines - We have been SB patrons, but we are now exploring more options in these post-Covid times. Thank you in advance, jdk

4 hours ago, jdk-atlga said:

As an interested question to those who have taken both RSSC and Seabourn: How do you compare (ease/reachable, flexibility, pricing) the two for a preference? I understand the differences between the two lines - We have been SB patrons, but we are now exploring more options in these post-Covid times. Thank you in advance, jdk

Are you talking just about comparing the air programs of the two lines?  If not, why not start a new thread about this?   (BTW, I've done one Seabourn and quite liked it.)

On 7/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Are you talking just about comparing the air programs of the two lines?  If not, why not start a new thread about this?   (BTW, I've done one Seabourn and quite liked it.)

Hi Wendy - thank you for the follow-up. And, yes, I am asking about the air programs. I know that RSSC "bundles" its air within the "per person" pricing and SB does not. That said, I have found the SB Flight-Ease platform somewhat easy to maneuver and I have had luck with direct contact. I do not know if RSSC has the same capabilities to review, revise or price update - for me, this flexibility could be an important factor, especially for future trips. Thank you in advance, jdk

On 7/12/2022 at 7:44 AM, jdk-atlga said:

Hi Wendy - thank you for the follow-up. And, yes, I am asking about the air programs. I know that RSSC "bundles" its air within the "per person" pricing and SB does not. That said, I have found the SB Flight-Ease platform somewhat easy to maneuver and I have had luck with direct contact. I do not know if RSSC has the same capabilities to review, revise or price update - for me, this flexibility could be an important factor, especially for future trips. Thank you in advance, jdk

I've never experienced the SB system--for my sole Seabourn trip in the St. Lawrence River, I was able to take the train.  All I can tell you is that Regent does have a flexible system, referred to as a "deviation".  There is a fee for that, which goes up over time, but right now is $175pp I think.  For that, you can choose your own flights and present them to Regent for approval.  Some flights will cost an additional fee, which apparently can vary quite a lot (I've never experienced this situation, all my deviation plans have been accepted at no additional cost.)  Until you and Regent come to an agreement, the deviation fee is not charged.  You can open this negotiation 270 days before your flights (which usually means before your last fight.)

I find that Regent can do better almost always, in terms of price, than booking Business class international flights independently, lots better.  Of course, if you can do it on points, you may do better than that.  I also like that you don't have the burden of having flight cancellations to worry about, if your plans change (and of course doing it on points you're usually protected as well.)

As I said, I can't compare this to the SB system, but hope this helps.  Regent has saved us big bucks in the past.

51 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've never experienced the SB system--for my sole Seabourn trip in the St. Lawrence River, I was able to take the train.  All I can tell you is that Regent does have a flexible system, referred to as a "deviation".  There is a fee for that, which goes up over time, but right now is $175pp I think.  For that, you can choose your own flights and present them to Regent for approval.  Some flights will cost an additional fee, which apparently can vary quite a lot (I've never experienced this situation, all my deviation plans have been accepted at no additional cost.)  Until you and Regent come to an agreement, the deviation fee is not charged.  You can open this negotiation 270 days before your flights (which usually means before your last fight.)

I find that Regent can do better almost always, in terms of price, than booking Business class international flights independently, lots better.  Of course, if you can do it on points, you may do better than that.  I also like that you don't have the burden of having flight cancellations to worry about, if your plans change (and of course doing it on points you're usually protected as well.)

As I said, I can't compare this to the SB system, but hope this helps.  Regent has saved us big bucks in the past.

Wendy - I second that - for us, Regent's air/deviations have always worked very well for us (up to 2019, that is) with good routings and no upcharges other than the $175/pp.  I think where the upcharges tend to come in (based on my reading on CC) is for flights through and to the Middle East and Asia on some of the more 'upscale' airlines, specifically Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Etihad, etc...maybe someone who has flown these can verify?

But for us, there's never been an upcharge flying from Denver, Louisville, Charlotte, Atlanta to Europe or Alaska...but we've never flown with Regent to Asia, Africa, or the Middle East, so I'm sure not the expert...

• Like 1

We are on the Navigator starting August 24 of this year.  We let Regent do our air from Los Angeles to Barcelona.  The flights were fine, but I started to get concerned since we were flying in the morning the ship was departing.  As a result, over two weeks ago, I booked a night in a hotel the day before through Regent. At this point, our flights have not been revised.  I contacted our TA and Regent has responded to her.  I'm thinking I should have new flights by now.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:12 AM, thealohastate said:

We are booked on the Sydney to Bali Cruise  in January.    We live in Hawaii and do not want to fly to the Mainland and then to Sydney, so we've asked for deviations.  We have sent our TA the routes we would like to get.  To fly to Sydney, Quantas has a direct route from Honolulu to Sydney.

The problem we are finding is getting back home from Bali.

We've looked and looked at flights and a variety of air lines.  So far it looks like Quantas from Bali to Sydney and then Sydney to Honolulu--BUT, there is a 15 hour layover in Sydney.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better routing?

Looking at current flight schedules, there isn't much of a choice. QANTAS does have a flight from Denpasar to Melbourne, then Jetstar to Honolulu, but there is still a long layover just short of 10 hours.  There is some fabulous routing with various airlines through Jakarta and Tokyo!  Or Singapore.  But all with long layovers.  Do you have lounge access to help ease the pain?

• 2 weeks later...

Things are not improving. It has been three weeks since we asked for a deviation to select a first class flight for our Christmas Panama canal cruise. Over a week ago they sent a proposed schedule which we immediately accepted. They have issued a flight schedule but not ticketed it. So we have no seats selected. Despite repeated emails from out TA (they are not accepting phone calls yet), no response and AA is showing the flight almost sold out. We have now paid in full for the cruise including the deviation fee and the upcharge for first class. But no flights ticketed. They must be having serious staffing problems.

49 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Things are not improving. It has been three weeks since we asked for a deviation to select a first class flight for our Christmas Panama canal cruise. Over a week ago they sent a proposed schedule which we immediately accepted. They have issued a flight schedule but not ticketed it. So we have no seats selected. Despite repeated emails from out TA (they are not accepting phone calls yet), no response and AA is showing the flight almost sold out. We have now paid in full for the cruise including the deviation fee and the upcharge for first class. But no flights ticketed. They must be having serious staffing problems.

Flights are generally not ticketed until 30 days out - that is the limitation in booking cruise air. We have an AA flight booked through Regent and they assigned seats at booking.

25 minutes ago, BBWC said:

We have an AA flight booked through Regent and they assigned seats at booking.

I have seats for the outward leg, but not for the homeward trip. Something slipped somewhere. The AA site says the status of our booking  is "unknown". I have never had this problem before. Seats always allocated at booking and then changeable on the airline web site.

41 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Flights are generally not ticketed until 30 days out - that is the limitation in booking cruise air. We have an AA flight booked through Regent and they assigned seats at booking.

The late ticketing is supposed to be only for the included air. When deviating historically defeated custom flights are tic  kg eyed as soon as agreement is reached and the deviation fee plus any up charge is paid. 

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

The late ticketing is supposed to be only for the included air. When deviating historically defeated custom flights are tic  kg eyed as soon as agreement is reached and the deviation fee plus any up charge is paid. 

We deviated and have a flight coming up on September 1 (with Finnair) and it is not ticketed yet.

Follow Your TA, and Fear NOT, what the Airlines can do to You!  

There are four of us trying to get to LHR from Honolulu next month.  We already had our seat assignments on a UA 777-200 to SFO when all of a sudden I looked and the flight was leaving 2 hours later.  Not a bad thing since we'd need to be at HNL at 0500 to catch the original flight...  But wait,  now we're on a 737-800 with only 16 FC seats  -  and there is only ONE seat available...   [I put my LW in that one;  I'm no fool.]   My TA spoke with Regent Air and they said the original seats [from the 777] are the same ones on the 737.  But wait, there is no row 7, or even seats 'L' or 'K' on a 737...

So far [days later] two additional FC seats became available.  Now we're only waiting for that last seat to open up.    

What do you want to bet that another UA  777-200 will miraculously reappear and it'll all be a bad dream.   Like Greyhound used to say "It's got to be the Going, not the getting there, that's Good!"

Edited by daetchief
sp

so Regent will not allow my cabinmate to use Regent air unless I do as well.  I could have used frequent flyer miles for my ticket, but now I'll have to buy Regent air since my cabinmate doesn't have miles for a ticket.  Bad policy from Regent.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, Borna said:

so Regent will not allow my cabinmate to use Regent air unless I do as well.  I could have used frequent flyer miles for my ticket, but now I'll have to buy Regent air since my cabinmate doesn't have miles for a ticket.  Bad policy from Regent.

Well that's weird.  Do you have sufficient miles for both of you?

10 hours ago, Borna said:

no, just for me.

not sure what program you are in but have you looked at booking main cabin (coach) tickets for both and using miles to upgrade to business.  But not sure if regent will book you in coach at a lower price.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first and last cruise with Regent.   Two months of back and forth with Regent about "custom" air.   Air department message states they're too busy, so I should deal with general reservations.  General reservations tells me I have to deal with air department.    On the rare occasion I can speak with someone in the air department, they promise to call me back with answers, but never do.  Worst customer service.

Borna,

I pray that your airline concerns are satisfied by whatever means you utilize to get booked and comfortable and that you soon get aboard a Regent Ship.   The effort is worth the reward.

We have all recently been dealing with 'Airline Problems' whenever we travel - which when related specifically to your cruise then reflects poorly on Regent's Air Services because "Garbage In - Garbage Out!'    

In 'normal' times the services are excellent.  Regent could use a few more agents - but all their agents really need more flights to offer customers...   When in doubt about what you hear from your TA or from Regent, surf the website of the airlines and see if the seats you're asking for are actually available.   I know all the planes are pretty full now...

Ah Hui Hou!

Edited by daetchief
Hawaiian Salutation

1 hour ago, Borna said:

Worst customer service.

This is why we love working with one of the top Regent Travel Agents.  Email your desired itinerary, they take care of it all, it's never a problem to call with a question or make changes when necessary.  We have many cruises under the belt and look forward to many more -- ulcer free...

• Like 1