Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

16 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Is the Regent Air Department open on weekends, or is it only Monday-Friday?

Can answer my own question...  air desk is open M-F, 9am-6pm ET (according to the recording)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, Gray Lady said:

I am very inexperienced with international air flights. We have never been to Europe, and have booked a Mediterranean cruise in 2024 with Regent. We have already added on a pre-cruise stay through Regent, and when available will add on the same post-cruise. I am reading about so many people being unhappy with the flights they are given through Regent. I had figured that since they were booking the flights, it is in their best interest to make sure they are “doable”, including connections. Are they not responsible for getting you to your cruise on time? Doesn’t trip insurance cover delays? Am I naive to just let them book our flights? I know that flying from the West Coast to Europe will mean a plane change on the East Coast. Will we have more plane changes in Europe? If so, will they be such that we can make our connection? I thought that if we couldn’t make it, then Regent is responsible for getting us to our destination as quickly as possible. I had thought that since they are a luxury cruise line, that they would want to keep their customers happy. They charge a premium price, so shouldn’t they offer a premium product? Thanks in advance for your insights and thoughts. 
PS This is our first cruise. We were unable to go on our Alaskan cruise last year due to COVID (we had a land tour prior). Since we had booked our air through the cruise company, they changed our flights and flew us home at no extra charge. 

Gray Lady... one gets a tremendous amount of good information from this and other forums.  However there's a lot of bad information too.  Most of the problems encountered are not the norm.  Flights are, and will remain, an area that we need to consider very closely since there is a "glut" of travelers, a reduction of  available contract seats to Regent, and staffing problems with the airlines.  But in general all will work wonderfully (or at least get you there for the cruise).  Since you are doing a pre-cruise stay that gives you extra days if there's a flight problem. But as with everything else, you'll find that Regent will work diligently to give you the "premium product" you are looking for.  That doesn't mean things don't happen, they do.  It's a business whose goal is to be profitable. It's a ship so things happen, crews change, supplies can be limited, etc.  So don't dwell on small things, but on the entire experience in its entirety.  And if something doesn't seem right, question it immediately and they will likely do all they can to correct any issue.  

As for flights, deviate 210 days out.  It's worth it.  It's harder now because of airline schedules, but as many have pointed out, pick 3 or more acceptable flight itineraries, be prepared to possibly pay an upcharge if you deem it worth it, and check the itinerary closely for connection times and connecting airports to make sure you have plenty of time to do the connection.  If you do that, you will find the luxury experience you want.  

Stay optimistic but realistic and you'll find that Regent is a wonderful way to cruise and you'll be "hooked" like most of us. 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We just flew in from Barcelona. It’s w good airport. However, we were on the noon flight (United) and while we made it to the airport in plenty of time, we were thankful for the porter who helped with our luggage.  After checking in our luggage, making our way through security was fairly straightforward. However, we thought we would have a bit of time to relax in the lounge. This was not the case. The airport is large and a bit difficult to navigate. Lots of elevators to take up and down to get where you’re going. Especially tiring if you’re in a wheelchair or use a walker. Preboarding is also a lengthy process than expected, with no place to sit, so those that have no problem walking but have difficulty standing should consider requesting a wheelchair at this airport. 

• Like 1

Just our view on this:

We often book our international flights using miles, and will even do so before the Regent Air option opens (now at 210 days prior), so about 330 days out, we have a good plan.  Then, I will ask our TA to get the Regent option(s) including exactly matching what we already have booked with miles.  Since I can do the math WRT the value of the miles and the lack of mileage earning on award flights versus the Regent Air solution (including any surcharges for the flights we want), it is mostly a simple economic decision.  If close, we'll use the Regent option since:

1) no deviation fee as Platinum

2) transfer to/from the ship are included

3) not our problem if Regent, for some reason cancels the cruise

Travel these days is a game.  Since we're retired, we have time to devote to the game which isn't so much to win as to not lose...

• Like 3

This is just a friendly reminder that if you are going to convert credit card points to frequent flyer miles for an upcoming trip, be sure to check the partner airlines for your preferred flights. DW and I are traveling to Bali (via Singapore Airlines) and returning from Bangkok (via EVA Air) next year. I booked both these flights through Air Canada for roughly 15% fewer points than if I booked directly with the carrier. And since the business class flights to Asia are so expensive, this resulted in a huge cost savings. I'm just glad I had saved those points for such an occasion. 

One caveat, I believe AC was only alloted two seats on the flights we wanted so I booked as soon as they became available.

• 2 weeks later...

We will book our own air into Venice but will take the one night hotel.

-If we wish to spend 2 nights at the hotel, do we need to book thru Regent.

Their prices are generally higher.

-Since we will not be using their air, am I correct in assuming that the transfers to the

hotel do not apply? Will they transfer from hotel to terminal fir check in and to Fusina?

A canal city with boarding outside of it is throwing me. Also concerned about the distance

from airport terminal to water taxi as spouse has mobility issues. 

Since you're booking your own air you will also have to get yourself to the hotel.  You can book the second hotel night on your own and then negotiate with the hotel staff over whether you can get the same room Regent reserved for you.  I have heard of petting one room for the entire stay and also people having to move.

The included hotel stay includes the transfer to the ship.

Edited by jeb_bud
clarification

10 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

A canal city with boarding outside of it is throwing me. Also concerned about the distance

from airport terminal to water taxi as spouse has mobility issues. 

There is a (long) moving walkway which takes you to where the water taxis are docked.

unfortunately, the cruise ships were doing a lot of damage to the canal systems and so the Venetians have banned them to protect the infrastructure of the city. When we were there we checked in at the Venice port and were then transferred by coach to the industrial port (It was a few years ago and I assume it was Fusina but we had no idea this was going to happen until we arrived 😁)

• 3 weeks later...

One question that I am sure my CC friends can answer about flight deviation times. I know I can deviate 210 days out. We have booked a 3 day pre-cruise package through Regent. Does our window open 210 days before our actual cruise or 210 days from when we start our trip on land with Regent? 

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

One question that I am sure my CC friends can answer about flight deviation times. I know I can deviate 210 days out. We have booked a 3 day pre-cruise package through Regent. Does our window open 210 days before our actual cruise or 210 days from when we start our trip on land with Regent? 

If memory serves it is 210 before the actual cruise date not the pre-cruise.  I am fairly sure that is how it worked when we deviated in the past with a pre-cruise tour. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoNavyFamily said:

We are booked on a cruise in December with a Regent pre cruise land package. We were able to book our air, paying the deviation fee, 210 days before ship embarkation, not the day of the pre cruise. 

Thanks so much! That saves me calling on the wrong day and having them charge me twice. 210 days out is a Sunday, so I guess that means calling on a Monday.

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Thanks so much! That saves me calling on the wrong day and having them charge me twice. 210 days out is a Sunday, so I guess that means calling on a Monday.

I don't know the weekend hours but when I called the main regent number, they told us that air reservations did not open until

9: 30am.  I suggest you call the main regent reservation number at your convenience and ask the Regent representative if the air department is open on the weekends and what their hours are any day they are open.

16 minutes ago, GoNavyFamily said:

I don't know the weekend hours but when I called the main regent number, they told us that air reservations did not open until

9: 30am.  I suggest you call the main regent reservation number at your convenience and ask the Regent representative if the air department is open on the weekends and what their hours are any day they are open.

Thank you, I definitely will. So many things to do for our first cruise! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be doing a cruise Istanbul to Dubai this November. Working with my TA, we called the Regent air department 210 day out ( FYI: from the end date of the cruise). This is the first time we are using Regent air because we always used points for our long haul business class flights. The cheapest flights I saw started at $4000 one way. So we decided to try the Regent booking. Oh, for our flight to Istanbul we are doing the Regent pre-land program but want to enjoy Istanbul on our own. So we will be arriving 3 days sooner than the Regent program. No extra charge (except the added hotel charges) With Regent they will still pick us up at the airport and the transfer is included. 

I had already researched the flights from and to JFK.  We wanted direct flights too. There were only a few direct flights available with the Regent system. As platinum members there was no deviation charges.  I picked Turkish Air to Istanbul and Emirates coming home. Both direct flights and we even got the seats we wanted.  For these direct flights we had to pay an additional fee. The Turkish Air flight was $600 ea. and the Emirates flights was $1100 each. Still much cheaper than the published price and the flights without an additional charge had at least one 3 hr. layover. 

We also saved our frequent airline points for next years long haul flights. 

As we love everything Regent, so far, adding their air program, for the first time has been seamless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First time user of Regent air here. We will certainly pay the deviation fee and come into South Florida a few days early and stay a day late in Barcelona post our TA cruise. Question: If I pay deviation fee, will Regent air book me into Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach airport instead of Miami? We prefer those, as they are closer to family and friends we want to visit pre cruise. Our home airport is JFK, if that matters.

The Regent Air Concierge also told me yesterday that they make seat reservations when they book your flight.  Mine did not show up on the itinerary they sent me (or my TA) so I had to call to get them.  They do not ticket the flight until 60 days out, however, so you might not be able to access your reservation to change seats, etc. until after that date.  This does seem to vary, however.  I was able to access our reservation on British Airways for a flight last September but cannot access the current reservation on Lufthansa--it pops up a message that "this reservation requires payment."  So, you might want to have the seats you desire in hand on your preferred flight options when you (or your TA) call/s the Air Concierge at the 210-day mark.

Should have thought to ask this question when I called about seat reservations, but I did not.

Does anyone know if you can still call the Regent Air Concierge to obtain the carriers with whom Regent has contract rates for a particular route or routes?  Or does the $75/pp charge apply even to that?

Will give it a try next week and report back my experience.

2 hours ago, loriva said:

Should have thought to ask this question when I called about seat reservations, but I did not.

Does anyone know if you can still call the Regent Air Concierge to obtain the carriers with whom Regent has contract rates for a particular route or routes?  Or does the $75/pp charge apply even to that?

Will give it a try next week and report back my experience.

Yes, I would like to hear what they have to say. Thanks! 

Later in the summer we have our first opportunity to book Regent air. We live in NY metro area and there are 3 nonstop flights from Barcelona back to NY on the day we disembark. If Regent offers me only connecting flights home unless I pay an upcharge, can I request the alternative of going premium economy as an option to fly nonstop home and possibly avoid the upcharge? Or does Regent Air only allow Business Class bookings for Transoceanic flights?

17 hours ago, edgee said:

Later in the summer we have our first opportunity to book Regent air. We live in NY metro area and there are 3 nonstop flights from Barcelona back to NY on the day we disembark. If Regent offers me only connecting flights home unless I pay an upcharge, can I request the alternative of going premium economy as an option to fly nonstop home and possibly avoid the upcharge? Or does Regent Air only allow Business Class bookings for Transoceanic flights?

Yes you can and since PE is usually less money you may also get some money back.  Because air prices have skyrocketed for Biz, Regent has started offering PE with a discount off of the cruise fare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes you can and since PE is usually less money you may also get some money back.  Because air prices have skyrocketed for Biz, Regent has started offering PE with a discount off of the cruise fare.

Thank you, great to hear. I also just looked and saw that United has a very good price on PE nonstop from BCN to New York. Just booked two easily cancelable PE seats for just 50,000 miles each which can be a backup in case Regent cannot find me reasonable flights when my window opens up on Sept. 1.

• Like 1