Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

I hope this question is appropriate here. You seem like a helpful and knowledgeable group of CC members!

if I book a cruise but take the credit for air (int’l.), but then later, before final pymt., decide to do my air with Regent, will it ALWAYS be at exactly the amount the credit was for, as long as I take what Regent offers me?

I would’ve searched for this question, but I can’t find the Search This Forum button any more.

1 hour ago, TheShag said:

Great question, I would assume so but it doesn't hurt to phone air dept. BTW, I am a bit of a newbie but have found people here GREAT with knowledge AND patience!

Two different Regent reservationists have told me the answer is yes. The second one added a good caveat. Not every airport allows them to offe4 the air at the same cost. If you have to connect from a regional airport, you may have an air add-on.

I agree, people around these parts are mostly all knowledgeable and patient.

22 hours ago, May B said:

if I book a cruise but take the credit for air (int’l.), but then later, before final pymt., decide to do my air with Regent, will it ALWAYS be at exactly the amount the credit was for, as long as I take what Regent offers me?

17 hours ago, May B said:

Two different Regent reservationists have told me the answer is yes.

I am a bit skeptical about the answer. I think it might be true if the air credit does not change from the time you booked until the time you decide but if the price of the cruise and the air credit both increase i wonder if you might be charged the new air credit not the one you originally turned down. I could be totally wrong but in this age of big increases in prices i hesitate to think that Regent will use the original air credit if there is a significant increase. For example if the air credit when you booked is $3000 pp and then when you decide you want the air after all and the air credit is now $4000, i think they will charge you the $4000.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I am a bit skeptical about the answer. I think it might be true if the air credit does not change from the time you booked until the time you decide but if the price of the cruise and the air credit both increase i wonder if you might be charged the new air credit not the one you originally turned down. I could be totally wrong but in this age of big increases in prices i hesitate to think that Regent will use the original air credit if there is a significant increase. For example if the air credit when you booked is $3000 pp and then when you decide you want the air after all and the air credit is now $4000, i think they will charge you the $4000.  Just my opinion. 

Think a better way to say this is that any credits or debits will be calculated at the time of change.  IMHO it is likely any pricing changes are at the current prices whether up or down.  Really doumb any cruise line will not use the price at the moment of the change.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Think a better way to say this is that any credits or debits will be calculated at the time of change.  IMHO it is likely any pricing changes are at the current prices whether up or down.  Really doumb any cruise line will not use the price at the moment of the change.

Really no need to criticize how i expressed my opinion. You may think your way is better, and no problem that may be quite true but i don't think you needed to point that out in order to express your opinion.  We both said the same thing but in our own way. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 11:48 AM, May B said:

I hope this question is appropriate here. You seem like a helpful and knowledgeable group of CC members!

I would’ve searched for this question, but I can’t find the Search This Forum button any more.

My experience adding Regent air to a existing reservation last week may be helpful. In March 2022, I booked the Grandeur from New York to Barcelona in April 2024. At the time I booked, the total air credit was $1200 pp which I took in full. $150 pp of the air credit was for the domestic flight to New York; $1050 pp was for the international flight from Barcelona. The gross total fare for two, after applying the air credit, was $18,198.

Last week I decided to use Regent air for the return from Barcelona. My invoice now shows an air credit of $150 pp. The gross fare total has now been been increased by $2100 to $20,298. So the charge for air was $1050 pp. Thus, I was not charged more for air then the air credit as it existed in March 2022.

I checked the current air credit for the cruise and it is now $1380 pp. $215 pp for the domestic flight and $1165 pp for the international flight. If I had been charged for air based on the current air credit, the gross fare total for two would have been $20,398 instead of $20,298.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ernieb said:

My TA is telling me that Regent is not contracting with Delta and its partners. Does anyone know if that is true?

When I booked air with Regent in June, the agent told me they contracted with ALL major airlines.  They might, of course, have a preferred contractor for certain routes or have sold out of the restricted fare seats for which they contract.  Regarding the latter, as others have posted, if you cannot find a discounted/restricted business class fare on the airline's website, Regent will have no seats on that itinerary to offer.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ernieb said:

My TA is telling me that Regent is not contracting with Delta and its partners. Does anyone know if that is true?

Put us on delta MXP-ATL-DFW.  Called yesterday about a flight change for Nov 8th our connection in Atlanta went from 2 hrs to 1 hr 25 min (the min connection time) so we kept it.  Have global entry and not worried if bags don't make it on time as we are heading back from trip.

Edited by Lonedaddy

Can anyone explain this mystery, please?  Actually, two.

When the Custom Air booking window opened in June for our cruise in January 2024 from Sydney to Singapore, Regent booked us on an itinerary using United on the outbound and EVA Air and Alaska on the return.  Our domestic flights on United changed and when I called the Air Concierge to rebook those, the agent also informed me that Alaska had cancelled our final leg.  The agent changed our port of entry in the United States from Seattle to LAX.  There were three flights (all red-eyes) available to MCO--one each on United, American, and jetBlue.  EVA Air is a United partner, but for some reason Regent could only book us on jetBlue--on an aircraft that only has economy seats.  The agent said the EVA Air and United flight "did not fare together"--direct quote.  Any idea what that means?  Why would flights on partner airlines not be bookable together?

So, back to the drawing board and I found a fare in "P" class on ANA and United.  The ANA flights are codeshared with United.  The flights are also less expensive--at least the prices I can see--than the EVA/jetBlue connection.  Yet, Regent wants to change us an $800/pp surcharge.  Regent's explanation was it was the change from economy to first on the domestic leg.  I thought the upgrade to first was usually included when staying with the same airline/alliance.  Could it be because the flights were booked as ANA rather than United codeshare?  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:53 AM, loriva said:

Can anyone explain this mystery, please?  Actually, two.

When the Custom Air booking window opened in June for our cruise in January 2024 from Sydney to Singapore, Regent booked us on an itinerary using United on the outbound and EVA Air and Alaska on the return.  Our domestic flights on United changed and when I called the Air Concierge to rebook those, the agent also informed me that Alaska had cancelled our final leg.  The agent changed our port of entry in the United States from Seattle to LAX.  There were three flights (all red-eyes) available to MCO--one each on United, American, and jetBlue.  EVA Air is a United partner, but for some reason Regent could only book us on jetBlue--on an aircraft that only has economy seats.  The agent said the EVA Air and United flight "did not fare together"--direct quote.  Any idea what that means?  Why would flights on partner airlines not be bookable together?

So, back to the drawing board and I found a fare in "P" class on ANA and United.  The ANA flights are codeshared with United.  The flights are also less expensive--at least the prices I can see--than the EVA/jetBlue connection.  Yet, Regent wants to change us an $800/pp surcharge.  Regent's explanation was it was the change from economy to first on the domestic leg.  I thought the upgrade to first was usually included when staying with the same airline/alliance.  Could it be because the flights were booked as ANA rather than United codeshare?  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

No one can really tell you the actual reason for any of these situations.  But likely it's how Regent contract flights go with each airline.  Basically if they have contract rates available there is no additional charge.  If not, then there is.  So my guess is the only contract rates for you would be on Jet Blue, no matter how the airline schedules an itinerary or who they partner with. Since you requested United then likely the cost to Regent is $800 above their contract fare.  Regent doesn't guarantee first class domestic, so when they price a flight, they generally can give you first class if it's on the same airlines.  Otherwise you end up in coach for the domestic leg.  It's all how the airline tickets the flights.  Regent doesn't profit (according to them) on any additional flight charges, so the $800 is what THEY have to pay for you to fly United First Class. 

One other point, just because an airlines shows a specific connection, doesn't mean that Regent "sees" that. We are going UAL from ATL to HKG in Feb.  Our connection time in SFO reduced from 4 hours to 1:49.  UAL shows a routing that leaves the night before with a 13 hour layover in SFO.  We decided we would prefer to do that and just get a hotel during the layover.  When I contacted Regent they said that their system doesn't show that itinerary so we'd have to pay a "stop over" fee of $250 per person.  So just because UAL shows it, doesn't mean Regent "sees" it.  

According to United, once the ticket is paid for, I may be able to change the flight myself.  Regent says the ticket will be paid for about 60 days out so I'll try to change the flight myself.  Not sure it'll work though. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Thanks 1

We have a cruise booked Barcelona to Rome in April. Our deviation date is coming up soon. I am concerned that we won't get non stop flights ( both outbound and inbound) since this was one of the reasons we booked this cruise. As we get up in age we shy away from making connections. We fly out of Atlanta and have always had non stop flights to Europe. On looking at the prices for non stop flights....yikes!! 

15 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

We have a cruise booked Barcelona to Rome in April. Our deviation date is coming up soon. I am concerned that we won't get non stop flights ( both outbound and inbound) since this was one of the reasons we booked this cruise. As we get up in age we shy away from making connections. We fly out of Atlanta and have always had non stop flights to Europe. On looking at the prices for non stop flights....yikes!! 

Nobody can guarantee regent will provide included non stop flights round trip. Only way to guarantee that and not sure this will guarantee non stop flights even with a deviation as flights change quite often these days. 

your option at this point is to deviate to non stop flights hoping they don’t change and pay the up charge if any. 

• Like 1

We had a pretty good experience with Custom Air.  For reference, we live in Scottsdale, so our closest airport is PHX.  We have a cruise in the spring from Rio to Lisbon.  We are in a concierge suite this time (oh, I know, la dee DA), but it matters, because it means Regent has to fly us in the day before our cruise.  I had done some research, and when I called, I told the rep that, going from PHX to Rio, I liked the AA flights best.  She looked them up and at first it looked like there would be a fee for those flights, but then it turned out the Regent preferred flights would not get us into Rio until the day of the cruise, so she booked us onto the AA flights.

Then there was the issue of the flights from LIS back to PHX.  There was a pretty good set of flights, leaving LIS at 12:45, going to YYZ and then to PHX.  But there was a deviation fee (not the end of the world), and it was on AC (not our favorite airline) and AC Rouge (really not our favorite airline).  I asked what our options were.  Here's the schedule: LIS-FRA at 7:30 am on LH.  Arrive FRA at 11:30.  FRA-YVR at 1:20 pm on LH (this seems tight, but if something goes wrong, we figure LH will re-book us).  Arrive YVR at 2:15 pm.  YVR to PHX at 4:55 pm on AC.  Arrive PHX at 8:00 pm.

This is far from ideal, but, again, we figure LH will re-book us if something goes wrong.

Edited by ysolde
  • Like 1

We have never used Regent Air before. We have booked a Nov 8, 2024 to Southeast Asia. Regent Air is $6,000 p/p. This price sounds very reasonable to me for roundtrip business class. Should we take this offer?  Your thoughts please. We would be flying from Naples, Florida.

Bryan

Hi Bryan. Again, what are you asking? Is the $6000 the value being given if you arrange your own flights? Are you looking at the pre cruise or the post cruise? A rough look at flights [J class] to and from those locations to/from RSW would be ~$8000 p.p. Most people have great perspectives on advice but you have to be clear on exactly what you are looking for!

Edited by TheShag
additional info supplied.

1 hour ago, bswartz said:

We have never used Regent Air before. We have booked a Nov 8, 2024 to Southeast Asia. Regent Air is $6,000 p/p. This price sounds very reasonable to me for roundtrip business class. Should we take this offer?  Your thoughts please. We would be flying from Naples, Florida.

Bryan

Nobody outside Regent kniws the amount included in your cruise to cover air transfer etc. the only way you have the $6000 pp figure is that is the amount they will give you if you do your own air snd rtransfers 

your decision is should you take the $6k pp and book yourself based on current sir fares. You also need to understand that booking your own flights brings up other risks you don’t have letting regrnt book air including but not limited to your personal air will likely be non refundable from the da yiu book, should regent make itinerary changes you will be responsible to pay for the changes, some trip insurance plans do not cover air unless it is part of an air/sea package,etc 

in the end the decision is yours and yours alone as nobody else knows your exact circumstances. 

TheShag, sorry for not being clear. $6,000 is the amount that Regent will charge r/t business class. We originally did not include Regent furnished air in our quote. We figured we would use airline points but the amount of points required by airlines to/from Asia has skyrocketed (about 200,000 miles p/p one way). Based on cost comparisons ($8,000 r/t business class and up) $6,000 that Regent will charge seems like a good deal.

Bryan