Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

On 12/29/2023 at 12:28 PM, GMIAC said:

Does anyone have experience with earning American Airlines frequent flyer miles when flying on American via Regent Air (i.e., negotiated fare)? It seems unlikely, but you never know.

We received AA miles for the AA portion of the trip and the JAL portions that were booked as AA flight (operated by JAL).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, traveljkkk said:

We received AA miles for the AA portion of the trip and the JAL portions that were booked as AA flight (operated by JAL).

How were you able to get you AA frequent flyer number associated with the flight that Regent booked? We tried doing this and were not successful. Regent told us we needed to do it through AA, and AA told us we needed to do it through Regent.

12 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

How were you able to get you AA frequent flyer number associated with the flight that Regent booked? We tried doing this and were not successful. Regent told us we needed to do it through AA, and AA told us we needed to do it through Regent.

Had to wait until after flight is paid and ticketed to start. Make sure at every opportunity your AA number is associated with reservation as time of flight approaches and as a last resort make sure at check in that your AA number is in the account for both passengers.  Do all this on other associated airline (JAL in our case had our AA number in record).  Just need to keep on it as time progresses - I just kept trying until I was able to enter the data.  There is always after the flight paperwork possible if all else fails.

• Like 1

How long does it take for flights on AA to be paid for and ticketed by Regent Air? I see the flights in my AA account (so our Advantage numbers are linked, by my TA), but the status shows as "unknown" and they're not ticketed yet. There's also a message to contact my TA to pay for the ticket. 

Edited by GMIAC

I wondered if anyone here knows if Regent has a contract with Air Canada for flights between Vancouver and Europe. We are booked for our first cruise with Regent - Rome to Barcelona - in Oct /24. I will have to use wheelchair assistance and am worried about both short layovers and really long layovers. We have booked thru a Canadian company - Cruise Connections - with economy air included so interested in both finding my own flights earlier than 80 days and paying the fee plus asking about the upgrade for business class. Also if anyone else has used Cruise Connections would you know if Regent deals with us about the flights or if they only deal with CC? Thanks for your help.

12 minutes ago, 5107 said:

I wondered if anyone here knows if Regent has a contract with Air Canada for flights between Vancouver and Europe. We are booked for our first cruise with Regent - Rome to Barcelona - in Oct /24. I will have to use wheelchair assistance and am worried about both short layovers and really long layovers. We have booked thru a Canadian company - Cruise Connections - with economy air included so interested in both finding my own flights earlier than 80 days and paying the fee plus asking about the upgrade for business class. Also if anyone else has used Cruise Connections would you know if Regent deals with us about the flights or if they only deal with CC? Thanks for your help.

It's not an exact match, but we are flying home from Lisbon in June. Regent put us on Air Canada to Toronto, and Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Phoenix. It's business class with no upcharge and a reasonable layover in YYZ.

• Like 1

Thanks - so it seems they do use AC. Did you get the info on your own first or did you wait for Regent to assign it to you? If this is too personal a question - sorry - new to cruising!

3 hours ago, 5107 said:

Thanks - so it seems they do use AC. Did you get the info on your own first or did you wait for Regent to assign it to you? If this is too personal a question - sorry - new to cruising!

We started by looking at flights on our own so were prepared. There weren't a lot of choices from Lisbon, especially after noon, but we found a couple. Then we talked to Regent's air dept. and they offered the flights I mentioned above. They also offered some other options that had an upcharge, but the AC flights were fine for us.

19 hours ago, 5107 said:

We just got back from a Japan cruise with Regent and the flights over were Air Canada from CLT to Toronto with a nice layover for brunch and then a AC flight to Tokyo. All in all it was a pleasant day.  Got United Air Miles immediately.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, 5107 said:

I have flown Rouge several times. It is beyond horrid unless you are upgraded. I believe they have some of the worst seat dimensions in Economy in North America!

3 hours ago, TheShag said:

I have flown Rouge several times. It is beyond horrid unless you are upgraded. I believe they have some of the worst seat dimensions in Economy in North America!

I agree Rouge is not great but i doubt Regent would use them for anythign but the domestic portion of an itinerary as I believe they don't have business class. 

Regent has us in "business class" on the Rouge portion of our return home (YYZ to PHX). It looks to me like what they call business class is equivalent to first on domestic flights in the US, which is fine with us.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:28 PM, cAPS lOCK oN said:

It's not an exact match, but we are flying home from Lisbon in June. Regent put us on Air Canada to Toronto, and Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Phoenix. It's business class with no upcharge and a reasonable layover in YYZ.

Similar for us (except in the spring). We are flying home from Lisbon. Regent put us on LH from Lisbon to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Vancouver.  The last leg, Vancouver to PHX, is on Air Canada.  All of these are in business class.

Edited by ysolde

15 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Regent has us in "business class" on the Rouge portion of our return home (YYZ to PHX). It looks to me like what they call business class is equivalent to first on domestic flights in the US, which is fine with us.

I stand corrected. I suspect you won't be impressed by the Rouge portion but i hope that once again i am wrong. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I stand corrected. I suspect you won't be impressed by the Rouge portion but i hope that once again i am wrong. 

It's the last leg of a very long day. I'm hoping for uneventful.

I keep seeing the term "upcharge" used. Is there a difference between an upcharge and a deviation fee? We are starting to plan a Mediterranean  cruise for Spring 2025 with an older couple with mobility issues. After my last experience with Regent flights, I'm concerned about the flight options that will be available. We will need to avoid multiple stops with tight connections. They would also like to arrive at the port city a day or 2 early and depart a day or two after debarkation. I'm trying to understand what constitutes and upcharge vs a deviation and the ramifications of either. I know if you deviate you loose the transfers but what about if it's considered an "upcharge"? I hope this makes sense. This will be their first Regent cruise and I want to make sure it's a good experience. Any insight or advice is appreciated.

48 minutes ago, IotaEtaPi said:

I keep seeing the term "upcharge" used. Is there a difference between an upcharge and a deviation fee? We are starting to plan a Mediterranean  cruise for Spring 2025 with an older couple with mobility issues. After my last experience with Regent flights, I'm concerned about the flight options that will be available. We will need to avoid multiple stops with tight connections. They would also like to arrive at the port city a day or 2 early and depart a day or two after debarkation. I'm trying to understand what constitutes and upcharge vs a deviation and the ramifications of either. I know if you deviate you loose the transfers but what about if it's considered an "upcharge"? I hope this makes sense. This will be their first Regent cruise and I want to make sure it's a good experience. Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Deviation fee is paid when you change a date or request specific flights/routes/airlines.  An upcharge occurs if they cannot match their fare bucket  on your particular flight request which would be the difference in the fare less regents rate.  You could also be charged an up charge if you are coming from a smaller airport vs one of regents gateway cities.

We always pay a deviation fee on Regent since we don't want to wait until the last minute to get a good flight. We've done that for all of our Regent cruises, and we have never asked for a specific flight or airline, only a flight from the 2 closest airports near us (FLL or MIA), with direct flights outside of the US nearer to where our cruise embarks.

If you wait until Regent will book a flight without a deviation fee, there won't be any good flights or any seats for 2 near each other. We don't want that.

However, on our upcoming cruise, after paying for the deviation, and receiving flight confirmations (with business class seats assigned) that we accepted, we later found out that no seats were assigned in business class on out outgoing flights. Everything was as expected for our return flights. A few months later, we found out that Regent would not pay to assign our business class seats, and that we would have to pay 400 dollars to have business class seats assigned for our outgoing flights assigned. We found that out earlier this week, and by that time, only the least desirable business class seats were still available. We took them anyway since there's no chance any business class seats would still be available at check-in 3 months from this week. We consider this an upgrade fee since we were told we had business class seats, and they weren't booked for us without us paying for seat assignments.

12 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We always pay a deviation fee on Regent since we don't want to wait until the last minute to get a good flight. We've done that for all of our Regent cruises, and we have never asked for a specific flight or airline, only a flight from the 2 closest airports near us (FLL or MIA), with direct flights outside of the US nearer to where our cruise embarks.

If you wait until Regent will book a flight without a deviation fee, there won't be any good flights or any seats for 2 near each other. We don't want that.

However, on our upcoming cruise, after paying for the deviation, and receiving flight confirmations (with business class seats assigned) that we accepted, we later found out that no seats were assigned in business class on out outgoing flights. Everything was as expected for our return flights. A few months later, we found out that Regent would not pay to assign our business class seats, and that we would have to pay 400 dollars to have business class seats assigned for our outgoing flights assigned. We found that out earlier this week, and by that time, only the least desirable business class seats were still available. We took them anyway since there's no chance any business class seats would still be available at check-in 3 months from this week. We consider this an upgrade fee since we were told we had business class seats, and they weren't booked for us without us paying for seat assignments.

What airline did they book you on without seat assignments ? BA?

1 hour ago, IotaEtaPi said:

How many days will Regent allow you to fly in early and fly out at a later date without paying a deviation fee if you are not booking concierge level?

Zero.

Dave