Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

TAP flight - We flew a TAP A321LRneo aircraft from Dulles to Lisbon using Star Alliance FF miles. It was a very satisfactory flight for DW and I. The aircraft is very small for transcontinental trip and had an unusual configuration. Business Class ("Executive") held 17 passengers and was configurated as 2-2, 1-1, then 2-2 etc. Seats, when flat, would only be comfortable for persons under about 5'10". Also, window seat passengers may have to climb over the aisle passenger in the 2-2 aisles.

We submitted a request for AA flights back from Lisbon. 2 weeks later were instead offered flights on Air Canada.  Totally not close to what we requested, will take the credit and book our own.  First time sailing Regent and totally not impressed with the air department nor assigned hotel included with penthouse booking.

We will be on the Splendor Rome to Miami TA next November.  Hopefully, we can get the ORD-FCO nonstop flight.  If not, we would probably fly ORD-EWR-FCO.  In that case I understand that the ORD-EWR portion we would be in First Class.  However, I am told that the MIA-ORD flight at the end of the TA would be in economy.   Does anyone know why the ORD-EWR would be in First but at the end of the trip we'll be in economy?   New to Regent and trying to figure things out.

1 hour ago, IrishKathy said:

We will be on the Splendor Rome to Miami TA next November.  Hopefully, we can get the ORD-FCO nonstop flight.  If not, we would probably fly ORD-EWR-FCO.  In that case I understand that the ORD-EWR portion we would be in First Class.  However, I am told that the MIA-ORD flight at the end of the TA would be in economy.   Does anyone know why the ORD-EWR would be in First but at the end of the trip we'll be in economy?   New to Regent and trying to figure things out.

I will explain. Regent only guarantees the over water portion of your flights. Connecting domestic flights such as ORD connecting in the US to your overwater to Rome are subject to airline availability snd may or may not be in first

your flight from MIA to ORD for sure will be coach as no overwater connecting flight. 

As far as the flights you will be booked on without deviating they will be flights available at the booking time of approx 75 days out and have lower cost to Regrnt so connections can be in many different cities and airlines. 

hope this helps. Without deviating at 270 days out you pays your money and take your chances. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, Lonedaddy said:

My regent air flights to Auckland were ticketed 60 days prior though the reservation was made 270 days out so I could choose seats AA DFW-AKL.  We paid deviation to go 3 days early.

Did you have an upcharge beyond deviation fee? Did you get a non stop?

45 minutes ago, edgee said:

Did you have an upcharge beyond deviation fee? Did you get a non stop?

Just the deviation fee.  Originally the booked me DFW/LAX/AKL when there wasn't a NS.  AA changed their flights and automatically put me on the DFW/AKL non-stop as they eliminated the LA route.  Unfortunately they couldn't book me a return out of Singapore since that is considered Asia and I guess BALI is south pacific.   I just used miles from Singapore to DFW via Haneda on JAL.  I booked my own flight from Bali to Singapore on Scoot air in their "scoot plus" class (like domestic US first) for 240 bucks for 2 people.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Flight question

i know it’s early, but I love planning and anticipating our trips.  We’ll be aboard the splendor Barcelona to Venice in October. Our “home” airport is jfk.  As long as we can fly non stop both ways, we’ll go out of any of the three area (JFK, LGA orEWR) 

For those who’ve done this trip, what are your experiences?

Oh I should also add this is our first cruise with Regent and I am so excited!!!

Thanks!

Mary Alice

2 hours ago, Mapomp said:

Flight question

i know it’s early, but I love planning and anticipating our trips.  We’ll be aboard the splendor Barcelona to Venice in October. Our “home” airport is jfk.  As long as we can fly non stop both ways, we’ll go out of any of the three area (JFK, LGA orEWR) 

For those who’ve done this trip, what are your experiences?

Oh I should also add this is our first cruise with Regent and I am so excited!!!

Thanks!

Mary Alice

EWR-BCN is united and JFK -BCN Delta or AA return:  VCE-JFK Delta and VCE-EWR united are the choices depending on who regent has contracted seat availability.  If you flew out of MXP ( post cruise train to milan and spend a night or two if you have time will give you more options including Emirates.  You should look at the deviation to ensure you get some flights you might want.

This is our first Regent Cruise to Japan in October.  We will pay the Air Deviation fee to arrive a few days early and stay an extra day.  We have been checking prices on round trip business flights from IAD to HND and many are over $10,000 pp.   If Regent will deduct approx. $7,000 pp for your flights (if you book on your own), will they pay $10,000 for a nonstop flight?  Please share your experiences on the actual amount they will pay.  We know they will pay their contracted rate, but how much higher is the contracted rate over the allotted airfare rate?  Please share your thoughts and any helpful tips..

56 minutes ago, many cruises said:

This is our first Regent Cruise to Japan in October.  We will pay the Air Deviation fee to arrive a few days early and stay an extra day.  We have been checking prices on round trip business flights from IAD to HND and many are over $10,000 pp.   If Regent will deduct approx. $7,000 pp for your flights (if you book on your own), will they pay $10,000 for a nonstop flight?  Please share your experiences on the actual amount they will pay.  We know they will pay their contracted rate, but how much higher is the contracted rate over the allotted airfare rate?  Please share your thoughts and any helpful tips..

No way to know as you have to remember that $7k refund covers the entire US and Canada so for instance the fares are less from the west coast. Relatively sure all their air costs are for the average costs for the entire country. 

and since nonstops generally are higher than multiple stop flights so even if they have contracted rates for your itinerary there might be an up charge to go non stop. 

1 hour ago, many cruises said:

We recently booked our air to Japan for our cruise in October 2023.  We fly out of LAX so with the (IMO) generous air credit from Regent, it made (economic) sense to take the credit and book our own flights.  There are any number of direct JAL, ANA and/or United business class options (all around $4.3K return) into Haneda. (Seems much more convenient to get into Tokyo from there rather than Narita.  I did consider Singapore Airlines (this flight was also under $5K return but it flew into Narita, not Haneda.)  It might be worthwhile for you to look into booking your own flight, first flying into LAX from your home base.  With the $7K credit, you should be able to save quite a bit (particularly if you also use some points).  Only thing I am not sure of is how much it might cost getting from VA (would you fly out of DC?) to LAX.

Hope this helps!

rkaratsu:  We are on the same cruise...nice to meet you!  Thanks for your response.  We would be flying out of D.C. and right now an economy ticket is about 1,300 pp. to LAX.  This is getting more confusing by the day.  I really do not want to leave from the west coast because we would have to fly in a day early and get a hotel for the night on both ends of the trip.  I will keep checking prices and see what happens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, many cruises said:

Regent isn't charged the 10000 they have a special fare worked with the airlines so it is best to book out 270 days with them to ensure you get two of those seats in that bucket.  They should be able to get a nonstop out of IAD or certainly a one stop out of the east or midwest.  Just look on expedia or something and pick out the flights you want and send to TA or regent.  Don't worry about the price.  We had similar situation on our flight to auckland as best price was over 5K and AC was 3500, But we got the flight we wanted with regent air.    

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:37 PM, IrishKathy said:

We will be on the Splendor Rome to Miami TA next November.  Hopefully, we can get the ORD-FCO nonstop flight.  If not, we would probably fly ORD-EWR-FCO.  ...  However, I am told that the MIA-ORD flight at the end of the TA would be in economy.   

Usually the non-stops to FCO end mid October when the tourist season ends.

For the MIA-ORD leg you can take an air credit for just that leg and buy your own FC ticket home. The credit will be Not be 50% of the full $1550. It will be related to the price of a discounted economy ticket, maybe $250.

My recent experience with the Regent deviation process was painless and I am happy with the results even though I am not flying from a gateway city (Austin). I gave my TA our preferred flights and Regent came back with an alternative that works well for me. I was willing to drive to Dallas (a gateway city) to get better flights if necessary but it turns out I got better flights from Austin than my friends originally got from Dallas. We fly from Austin to London to Copenhagen on the out bound flight on BA with their new business class seats and have a direct flight from London to Austin on Virgin Atlantic on the return. Seats have been assigned with no cost for selecting seats. I know that BA charges for selecting seats even in business class if you don’t have certain BA status. As an update from my friends from Dallas, they didn’t like the original Regent air offer so they had their TA keep working with Regent and Regent came back with a better flight plan for them that was acceptable to them. The moral of the story is to keep trying until you get what works best for you. 

• Like 4

We will be doing the Rome to Miami TA next November and plan on seeking an air deviation at the 270 day mark. Any thoughts or experience on how Regent will handle us flying into Florence instead of Rome? We are considering spend a few days their and then taking to the train (at our expense of course) to Rome the day before the cruise departure and checking into the Regent provided hotel as part of our concierge suite amenitity. 

And one other question in case folks have an answer. Will Regent provide the meet/greet and transfer to the hotel should we arrive by train? I'm assuming not.

Thanks for your input.

6 minutes ago, Mystictraveler said:

We will be doing the Rome to Miami TA next November and plan on seeking an air deviation at the 270 day mark. Any thoughts or experience on how Regent will handle us flying into Florence instead of Rome? We are considering spend a few days their and then taking to the train (at our expense of course) to Rome the day before the cruise departure and checking into the Regent provided hotel as part of our concierge suite amenitity. 

And one other question in case folks have an answer. Will Regent provide the meet/greet and transfer to the hotel should we arrive by train? I'm assuming not.

Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't think the deviation would be a problem for regent to florence, but will require a connection.  We looked at transport for our upcoming trip from florence to room - might consider a driver to take you hotel to hotel and stop along the way at basically your choice like orvieto, sienna, Civita de bagnoreggio, winery or a combination called " From Rome to Florence and other Tuscan Towns"

runs about 900 bucks but save the hassle of luggage transfer on the train and provides a nice day of sight seeing.

• Like 1

AA flight 35 dfw to akl in flagship lounge very nice ample Room they offered me flagship first dining being an EXP but we ate earlier with kids And grandkids.  Just having some nice Champaign and wine for a couple Hours before the 1045 flight  that will take 15 hours.  A lot

less chaotic than LAX or JFK

• 2 weeks later...

We have flights from Anchorage to Seattle then Seattle to Heathrow London in September.We want to keep the first leg but want cancel BAirways to Heathrow and use Virgin with air miles to upgrade.Regent has said we cannot cancel second leg only, we have to cancel both flights with them home.Is this normal?

15 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

We have flights from Anchorage to Seattle then Seattle to Heathrow London in September.We want to keep the first leg but want cancel BAirways to Heathrow and use Virgin with air miles to upgrade.Regent has said we cannot cancel second leg only, we have to cancel both flights with them home.Is this normal?

Yes this is normal. You see flights are priced from origin to destination. If you want to say stop for more than 24 hours or buy 2 tickets one to Seattle and one Seattle to London that would be 2 separate tickets called point to point as nd much more expensive. You cannot simply split the ticket as you have tried to do. You would need to cancel both flights and then purchase tickets separately for each leg. 

• Like 1