Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

We flew to Bangalore seated in the new arrangement on board an A350 immediately pre covid.  Very comfortable and lots of cubbies in which to stash all my bits and pieces (whilst trying not to forget where I'd put everything so I didn't leave anything behind at the end of the flight!)  The closing doors to each "suite" were proving rather troublesome on that flight, however.  It might take a bit of practice to work out how to get best use of them.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, rallydave said:

The late ticketing is supposed to be only for the included air. When deviating historically defeated custom flights are tic  kg eyed as soon as agreement is reached and the deviation fee plus any up charge is paid. 

Our 10/22 flights to/from IST are not being ticketed until 8/30 for the 10/19 embark and we did the deviation fee and paid in full several months ago.

Question on the process.  If I request for an air deviation for a trip in Mar 2023 and they give me the route I requested, what happens if the cruise is cancelled (Japan)? Do I get the $175 refunded or just is it credited to when I rebook to another cruise?  I'm assuming that the amount paid for the cruise would be converted to a FCC.

1 hour ago, tango223 said:

Question on the process.  If I request for an air deviation for a trip in Mar 2023 and they give me the route I requested, what happens if the cruise is cancelled (Japan)? Do I get the $175 refunded or just is it credited to when I rebook to another cruise?  I'm assuming that the amount paid for the cruise would be converted to a FCC.

I believe the deviation fee is non-refundable.  What you get back for the cruise itself, depends on when you cancel.  If you cancel before final payment, then you should get everything back but a small cancellation fee (usually $125 pp) that can get credited to another booking (once.)  After final payment, the penalties mount by month as the cruise approaches.  You can look at your invoice to see the penalty schedule.

• Like 1

if Regent cancels the cruise then in the past they have refunded the deviation fee or if you transfer the booking to another cruise when they have cancelled they will transfer the deviation fee against the new booking. If you cancel, as Wendy said, the deviation fee is non-refundable. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

if Regent cancels the cruise then in the past they have refunded the deviation fee or if you transfer the booking to another cruise when they have cancelled they will transfer the deviation fee against the new booking. If you cancel, as Wendy said, the deviation fee is non-refundable. 

Thank you 1982 CruzStart and Wendy for your quick reply.  We wanted to know if Japan happens to not open up to cruises in the Spring of 2023 and they have to cancel but we would already have our deviation request in.  Appreciate the information !!!

The saga with Regent continues.  It took two months to get Regent to issue AA air tickets for my cabinmate with payment of the $175 deviation fee.  I told Regent that I was transferring points from a credit card to AA to get the same itinerary as a frequent flyer award.  So, I thought all was done.

Now, Regent tells me it wants to change my cabinmates's flight schedule completely!   I'm resisting naturally.  Who knows how this will turn out.  I have nothing good to say about Regent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 7:12 PM, Borna said:

The saga with Regent continues.  It took two months to get Regent to issue AA air tickets for my cabinmate with payment of the $175 deviation fee.  I told Regent that I was transferring points from a credit card to AA to get the same itinerary as a frequent flyer award.  So, I thought all was done.

Now, Regent tells me it wants to change my cabinmates's flight schedule completely!   I'm resisting naturally.  Who knows how this will turn out.  I have nothing good to say about Regent.

Is it that Regent wants to change the schedule, or is it the airline that wants to change the schedule? I’m suspecting it is the latter and that is out of Regent‘s control.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never used a cruise line's air program before but the business class airfare for an upcoming Regent cruise I am planning is 1/3 of what it would be if purchase directly from the airline. Are the airlines chosen by Regent usually major air carriers as opposed to startup or discount carriers? Do they choose nonstop flights when available? If a nonstop flight is not available do they choose flights with the least amount of stops?

Thank you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ivyleaguegent said:

I have never used a cruise line's air program before but the business class airfare for an upcoming Regent cruise I am planning is 1/3 of what it would be if purchase directly from the airline. Are the airlines chosen by Regent usually major air carriers as opposed to startup or discount carriers? Do they choose nonstop flights when available? If a nonstop flight is not available do they choose flights with the least amount of stops?

Thank you.

In my experience they use major airlines.  But we have always 'deviated', mainly because we like to get to the embarkation port early, but also because we get to choose our own flights so some extent.  We have usually picked the best flights for us and then proposed them to Regent.  If you can't come to a mutual agreement, then you don't pay the deviation fee.  It's always worked out for us in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivyleaguegent said:

Are the airlines chosen by Regent usually major air carriers as opposed to startup or discount carriers? Do they choose nonstop flights when available? If a nonstop flight is not available do they choose flights with the least amount of stops

Regent has contracts with major carriers and generally uses them.. Generally flights are chosen by cost rather than non0stop first priority.   Based on reports the flights if you don't deviate can be anything from non stop to multiple stop with sometimes flights not in the shortest distance.

If non stop not available the number of stops may vary.  These issues are why many people pay the $175 per person deviation fee so that they can choose the best flights for them.  Read the thread pinned about flights with and without deviation for more information.  Many many possibilities and you can get the fights you choose at no additional cost or possibly with an additional up charge.

Not an intuitive or simple process.  Lots of info in an extremely long and detailed thread.  Your TA should be able to help you with the process.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pulling my hair out trying to find the specifics (fine print) for the Air Deviation program.  Where on the RSSC website is this information located?  

Is the following correct (so I am being told)? 

First scenario - If I make an air deviation to fly in a day early - I am charged $175pp deviation fee.  If I decide at a later date to also stay over a day after the cruise I will be charged the deviation fee again??  The tickets have not been issued.  Do they charge the fee twice?

Second scenario - I have a deviation flight going in a day early - again tickets not issued - and decide to add and extra early day - arrive 2 days early - they want an additional deviation fee to move change the date 1 day earlier - same flights.   

Every time you make a change, it will cost you 175. If you deviate both arriving and departing at the same time, it’s 175. Tickets being issued or not makes no difference. Bottom line, decide what you want to do for both arrival and departure and make a single deviation request,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Is the following correct (so I am being told)? 

First scenario - If I make an air deviation to fly in a day early - I am charged $175pp deviation fee.  If I decide at a later date to also stay over a day after the cruise I will be charged the deviation fee again??  The tickets have not been issued.  Do they charge the fee twice?

Second scenario - I have a deviation flight going in a day early - again tickets not issued - and decide to add and extra early day - arrive 2 days early - they want an additional deviation fee to move change the date 1 day earlier - same flights.   

In addition, don't forget there is no guarantee you will get the same flight on a different day plus there is the possibility you will be charged an additional fee for your flight.  The closer you get to your fight date the more likely your price will increase.

Each deviation is a new process to go thru just like the previous one.  As was said, make up your mind in the beginning and stick with it.  And since the fee includes either one way or both ways, again make the deviation and stick to it as the changes can be extremely expensive in addition to the deviation fee.  Plus the deviation fee is per person. 

And don't believe there is any written policy to be found on the website.  Asking the question here is the best way.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, rallydave said:

In addition, don't forget there is no guarantee you will get the same flight on a different day plus there is the possibility you will be charged an additional fee for your flight.  The closer you get to your fight date the more likely your price will increase.

Each deviation is a new process to go thru just like the previous one.  As was said, make up your mind in the beginning and stick with it.  And since the fee includes either one way or both ways, again make the deviation and stick to it as the changes can be extremely expensive in addition to the deviation fee.  Plus the deviation fee is per person. 

And don't believe there is any written policy to be found on the website.  Asking the question here is the best way.

We are doing the Amazon cruise from Rio to Miami in March 2023. There are no direct flights from Toronto to Rio. We knew we would have at least one stopover, but wanted to avoid 2 of them. We also wanted a direct flight home from Miami. Our travel agent found us the best possible flights and submitted these to the air deviation department and the flights were approved. I did learn that while the flights from Toronto to Rio are in business class, the flight from Miami to Toronto is in economy. This is because it is not considered an international flight even though Canada and the US are two distinct different countries. 

25 minutes ago, Shelley G said:

We are doing the Amazon cruise from Rio to Miami in March 2023. There are no direct flights from Toronto to Rio. We knew we would have at least one stopover, but wanted to avoid 2 of them. We also wanted a direct flight home from Miami. Our travel agent found us the best possible flights and submitted these to the air deviation department and the flights were approved. I did learn that while the flights from Toronto to Rio are in business class, the flight from Miami to Toronto is in economy. This is because it is not considered an international flight even though Canada and the US are two distinct different countries. 

If you fly the same airline like American YYZ/MIA/GIG they will usually book you in business all the way.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, Lonedaddy said:

If you fly the same airline like American YYZ/MIA/GIG they will usually book you in business all the way.

This is true if the airline has availability to do this.  Only a limited number of first class domestic seats available and up to the airline not Regent.  I personally have had it both ways in the past so you can't count on it until it actually occurs.  

I have an upcoming cruise from Cape town to Buenos Aries  leaving from Dallas. Using Regent Air. I don't have my schedule yet but just looking at the options  it seems every flight will require a transfer within the US - Atlanta, Newark, whatever.  Since the international flights will be in business class, will I get an upgraded seat for the domestic portion?

1 hour ago, colleenmf said:

Since the international flights will be in business class, will I get an upgraded seat for the domestic portion?

You may or may not. Often if you are on the same airline for the domestic portion as the international portion, Regent will put you in business class all the way through but there is no guarantee.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, colleenmf said:

I have an upcoming cruise from Cape town to Buenos Aries  leaving from Dallas. Using Regent Air. I don't have my schedule yet but just looking at the options  it seems every flight will require a transfer within the US - Atlanta, Newark, whatever.  Since the international flights will be in business class, will I get an upgraded seat for the domestic portion?

I think it depends on distance, airline and also if you change airlines.  In our case we stayed on United the entire trip and we had business class international and first class on all other flights (even lie-flat) on the coast to coast flight getting to San Fran.

3 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Regent will put you in business class all the way through but there is no guarantee.  

To be clear it is NOT up to Regent to put anyone in Business Class other than Regent booking a Business Class flight overseas.  If there are First Class seats available for your itinerary, the airline will issues First Class seats for the domestic flights.  

It is an airline decision and Regent has no control over the upgrades as the computer iwill say yae or nay when the Regent computer system or the agent begins to book the flights.

Other than when on Regent when Flights are included (not free) I always book my flights direct with the airline either online or with an airline agent and when online either First Class comes up or not and I have gotten First Class initially or not.  When not getting First Class I have been put on waitlist for first and sometimes the waitlist clears and sometimes it doesn't.

Simply trying to let people know that Regent or any other third party has no part of getting domestic First Class or not on an International Business Class Flight with connecting domestic flights.

You'll get a locator number on the air proposal from Regent which can be used to retrieve your reservation.  If your TA is on the ball, they will have passed your FF numbers to Regent and the reservation will show up automatically in your account, otherwise you'll need to enter them as jeb_bud notes.  Then you'll want to check to seat assignments since they probably aren't the ones you'd choose.  Especially on United for domestic flights, you'll be able to choose Economy + seats if you have status.

Having dived into the PNR details (not usually visible), I've found that Regent actually tickets the flights about 28 days out, at least for United.  That means that your reservation will show no mileage accrual until after ticketing, but not to worry.  AFAIK, nobody has reported any issues in accruing the miles.

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 1