Gala Nights and Tuxedos

sassystyxfan

17 minutes ago, sassystyxfan said:

Do men rent tuxedos anymore? If so, is there still a service that delivers to the ship?

Cruiseline Formalwear. went out of business.  Don't know of anyone renting them any more.   You can buy a cheap one for almost the price of a rental

https://www.finetuxedos.com/collections/tuxedos/products/cheap-tuxedo

image.thumb.png.50080fa4d6381180bc11baec844d7590.png

• Like 2

To be honest, you will see very few men wearing tuxedos.  The days of true formal wear have sadly passed.  Dress pants and collared shirt, maybe a jacket and tie are all acceptable now.  However, if you want to dress it up with a tux, go for it!  

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Cruiseline Formalwear. went out of business.  Don't know of anyone renting them any more.   You can buy a cheap one for almost the price of a rental

https://www.finetuxedos.com/collections/tuxedos/products/cheap-tuxedo

image.thumb.png.50080fa4d6381180bc11baec844d7590.png

$159 for the formal wear you would need for EVERY gala or formal night for EVERY cruise ... that's a super deal and super easy planning.

I wish we had something like option that for women (as I am currently packing for a cruise)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, dh rented on our first 2 cruises many many years ago but then he bought his present one after renting it for some formal event at home. He just asked the rental company if they ever sold their tuxes and how much. Since then he has had to replace the coat but the pants are still great and have that lovely adjustable waistband. I wish my dresses had an adjustable waist, especially on cruises!! :classic_laugh:

Edited by fatcat04
  • Haha 5

The tux died several years ago.  When the airlines luggage requirements went from 70 to 50 pounds the tux disappeared.  This is a shame since it was nice to be able to really dress up on occasion.  Now anything goes.  You can show up for Gala night looking like you just got off the tractor.  Though we were invited to the Captains table for dinner and most of the men had tuxes on, and I only had a business suit.  No one showed up in a tee shirt and tennis shoes.  Formal night used to have ice sculptures, caviar and the Rosario Strings playing music, along with men in tuxes and women in beautiful dresses.  Luckly I do have the memories. 

• Like 6

If interested, I’ve used this outfit for tux stuff, e.g.

new slacks, tails, dinner coats, cummerbunds, accessories, etc. in the past and was always satisfied with the quality and pricing.

True, formal wear is “dying or evolving” most everywhere, or so it seems.

Not for me. Weight- wise, not  much difference with that silk stripe on a pair of dress slacks or lapels on a dress / sport jacket. Shirts and cummerbund, well, no biggie.

https://www.uniformalwearhouse.com/mens_notch_tuxedos

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1

Unfortunately the tux rental company CruiseLineFormal went out of business; DH rented from there a couple of times before purchasing his own.  If you want to wear a tux on "Dressy" nights, you'll have to rent one from your home town/city and bring it along with you.  That's what a friend of ours is doing for our Caribbean cruise in January; DH wasn't going to bring his this time, but since his friend is going to have one, he figured he might as well dress up as well.  We do enjoy dressing up for special nights on a cruise, as we have so few opportunities to do so at home.  Enjoy whatever you bring to wear!

• Like 2

I guess my point, as expressed by prior postings, is that a tux these days is pretty inexpensive to purchase versus renting, if so inclined.

Being a dinosaur of sorts, I enjoy a tux / dressing up, for whatever they’re calling formal nights these days.

As someone once said, whatever “floats your boat”.

Regardless, Be Well!

Bob

• Like 5

On 9/22/2022 at 9:50 AM, RedmondCruiser said:

The tux died several years ago.  When the airlines luggage requirements went from 70 to 50 pounds the tux disappeared.  This is a shame since it was nice to be able to really dress up on occasion.  Now anything goes.  You can show up for Gala night looking like you just got off the tractor.  Though we were invited to the Captains table for dinner and most of the men had tuxes on, and I only had a business suit.  No one showed up in a tee shirt and tennis shoes.  Formal night used to have ice sculptures, caviar and the Rosario Strings playing music, along with men in tuxes and women in beautiful dresses.  Luckly I do have the memories. 

I’m from the Midwest and not a farmer but I resent the farmer comment about not wearing a tux.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, prescottbob said:

new slacks, tails, dinner coats, cummerbunds, accessories, etc. in the past and was always satisfied with the quality and pricing.

Not for me. Weight- wise, not  much difference with that silk stripe on a pair of dress slacks or lapels on a dress / sport jacket. Shirts and cummerbund, well, no biggie.

Be well.

Bob

This is a great option for tuxedos, and other accessories! So affordable and true to size!

21 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Be well.

Bob

That's great site Bob - Thanks!   I only have 4 tux jackets - I am looking at this one to get a little more variety.   

image.png.a326f7434a072a18e18daeff3edebb6d.png

or this one - I don't have any tails!

image.thumb.png.3e66cf3dd4a5727efaabcdb5565b5d67.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

That's great site Bob - Thanks!   I only have 4 tux jackets - I am looking at this one to get a little more variety.   

image.png.a326f7434a072a18e18daeff3edebb6d.png

or this one - I don't have any tails!

image.thumb.png.3e66cf3dd4a5727efaabcdb5565b5d67.png

Peter,
The tails and white vest is a must (last worn on the ‘20WC), prior use equals a local ball and a Cunard crossing (where some smart guy thought I was a maitre de).

I didn’t pack for the upcoming adventure since another HAL word salad is in the making, I.e., gala versus dressy versus formal.

I get confused so easily anymore.😀😀.

Be well.

Bob & Judy

• Thanks 1

We find it fun to embrace Gala Nights and always bring along dressy clothing and shoes for the occasion. I found a tux jacket at our Steinmart (before it closed) and some surprisingly matching satin striped trousers online at Kohl’s.  Also found some very reduced price Ecco dress shoes and a wonderful clip-on bow tie (I absolutely cannot tie a real one).  Yes Amazon offers a number of appropriate pleated shirts and some fantastic buttons & cufflinks to match.  I just have to remember socks or I just don’t feel right.  We certainly understand others may not want to travel with all these items and thus have no problem sharing the evening with folks in all types of attire.  We don’t have many opportunities beyond our Cruise Bookings to dress in formal clothing.  

• Like 4

I own a tuxedo and I love to wear it---I mean, how else can a guy who looks like me be instantly transformed into the second coming of Cary Grant?---but I only wear it when we sail on Cunard. Ten or fifteen years ago, I'd wear it on HAL cruises, but it just isn't much fun these days to be in a 2% minority. However, I do always pack a sport coat or two, even on hot weather sailings.

• Like 3