Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean (& back)

Host Hattie

We had the curtains changed while we were waiting. There was a final call for all passengers to disembark at about 9.20. I tried to call the Purser's Office to check whether that included us. There was no answer so we used our initiative and left. To be met by quite a lot of luggage with the same tags and a slightly harassed member of staff saying you should have waited to be collected to another couple. We told him we'd been released and he let us go.

I called the taxi and they arrived very quickly so we were on our way to the hotel to collect our car by 9.45.

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We had the curtains changed while we were waiting. There was a final call for all passengers to disembark at about 9.20. I tried to call the Purser's Office to check whether that included us. There was no answer so we used our initiative and left. To be met by quite a lot of luggage with the same tags and a slightly harassed member of staff saying you should have waited to be collected to another couple. We told him we'd been released and he let us go.

I called the taxi and they arrived very quickly so we were on our way to the hotel to collect our car by 9.45.

I have so much enjoyed your account of this holiday. It has been nearly as good as being there. I have also appreciated your good humour, even in the face of trying events. I realise how lucky we were, when we got Covid on QM2 in the summer, that it was so near the end of the cruise, so we had only three nights in quarantine. If it happened again, now that they seem to be allowing people to remain in their booked cabins, we would again choose to stay together, as we did last time, but I think Mr. HH is a definite hero, and hope he wasn’t too lonely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all your comments, it's been lovely to have so much company on this somewhat unusual trip.

We drove home through brilliant sunshine in England and pouring rain in Wales, typical.

Insurance claim forms have been submitted.

I'll probably post a few final thoughts but for the moment some things I might not have mentioned -

Key cards - my previous cruises have involved numerous trips to the Purser's Office for a new/repaired card. Since the redesign they are much more robust, just don't punch a hole in them.

My voyage - it only works when you're connected to the ship's wifi but when it works it's useful to be able to keep track of your spending, check bar menus and read the Daily Programme.

New wifi - was fine, we would have been able share one account via Bluetooth if we'd stayed together. That combined with roaming during our port stops would have made our diamond allowance last the whole trip. I had my additional spend refunded when I made that point.

It was more relaxing being able to browse when you wanted/needed to rather than rushing because the minutes are ticking away. Service was poor in 4014, good in the public areas and so-so in 5153. 

Cabin - I wouldn't choose 4014 again, I like the Deck 4 balconies but it was too far forward and the bow thrusters were noisy and made the bed vibrate. (I did get used to it though) You can also hear singing from the theatre during rehearsals and performances. I didn't find it particularly annoying but others might.

Toiletries - I didn't mind the big bottles, I found them easier to use but the body wash seemed watered down.

Insight Talks - I like the system of showing them live and recorded.

Apologies @frankp01 I didn't check out power sockets.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, techteach said:

😞 

Never fear.

When you board your cruise, after a day or two so you are familiar with the wait staff, ask the Head Waiter/Maître' d if there's a possibility you can have a seafood platter like/ similar to the Verandah platter.

You might not get exactly the same but I'm pretty sure the galley will come up with a decent plate for you.

If I could have cavier every night if I'd wanted, I'm pretty sure some seafood will be available.

Ask.

In fact, ask and ask!

Just ask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for all your comments, it's been lovely to have so much company on this somewhat unusual trip.

and thank you for your daily reports. 

It's been a pleasure, and really insightful, to read even if the pleasure might not have been yours when writing at times.

Loved that seafood platter! Definitely on my radar for next year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and thank you for your daily reports. 

It's been a pleasure, and really insightful, to read even if the pleasure might not have been yours when writing at times.

Loved that seafood platter! Definitely on my radar for next year.

Yep ,    I told you , there's life outside the grills ...  

Exchange  your afternoon  lunch voucher for the evening  .....and  stick the balance on your OBC 😉  

6 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Understood, you were distracted. I'll just carry adapters for every possibility.

There is a US socket at the desk so as long as your laptop has a reasonable battery life you should be OK.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Yep ,    I told you , there's life outside the grills ...  

Exchange  your afternoon  lunch voucher for the evening  .....and  stick the balance on your OBC 😉  

Better still if it was life inside the Grills! 🙂 Might have to decamp one night if not possible.

Does look fantastic. Right up my street!

• Like 2

Hatty - last question on the mask topic I promise!  You mentioned that there was very high compliance after the letter on masks was sent out - did that a mean a few people on board weren’t wearing them?  On my TA in May they were super strict - so much so that they were stopping people walking into the Chart Room on a few occasions if they didn’t have a mask on.

I didn't notice anyone that's why I am puzzled why people are claiming that they weren't mandatory. Anyone who heard the Captain's announcements and read the letter would have understood that it was an instruction not a suggestion.

At this stage I had to wear a mask outside my cabin any way.

I did see someone wearing a face visor with a sunflower lanyard saying he was exempt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I didn't notice anyone that's why I am puzzled why people are claiming that they weren't mandatory. Anyone who heard the Captain's announcements and read the letter would have understood that it was an instruction not a suggestion.

At this stage I had to wear a mask outside my cabin any way.

I did see someone wearing a face visor with a sunflower lanyard saying he was exempt.

Thanks Hatty.  If I was being cynical I would think that Cunard deliberately phrased the letter in a way that could be open to interpretation - knowing that the majority of people would assume we ask means the same as you must.  It still then allows for a few people not wearing them without the crew having to get involved - for example the person with the sunflower lanyard.  

Of course there is the always the possibility that the employee at the Pursers desk gave out incorrect information!

15 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Returning to QV after a 3 year absence. Can you watch the evening shows live on the in-cabin tv?

Wasn’t possible in QM2 in May.  some of the insights lectures were repeated though.

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Returning to QV after a 3 year absence. Can you watch the evening shows live on the in-cabin tv?

If you are referring to the Royal Court Theatre 'Singers, Dancers and other entertainers ( in the evenings) the answer is no, these are not recorded  , only the day time Insight lecturers.  

Hi HH 

Been loitering following your posts and am amazed how stoic you have been through out taking us along on your trip. Great to have a balanced view. Bravo 👏 

Hope Mr HH is soon recovered and you remain lurgy free. 

All the best x

• Like 2