Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

On 9/26/2022 at 3:17 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Not really.  🐀s don't typically answer to anybody.   That said, some 🐀s are bigger 🐀s than the others.  I may be the elder 🐀 but not the biggest 🐀.  To be continued in the 🐀place? 🤣

ETA: can we get more of that fiddle and bagpipes?  That stuff is crazy good!😎

I think you remember how to drop the 🧀 if the 🐀 overlords want to increase their numbers.

7 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

How long are you guys going to drone on about how much you would hate to hear someone playing an instrument from the soundproofed lounge on board a cruise ship?

Where is such said soundproofed public lounge? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I think you remember how to drop the 🧀 if the 🐀 overlords want to increase their numbers.

Yeah, but I really just want more of that fiddle and bagpipes.  It's been stuck in my head for a day or two now.  Could be worse..... (like Cow bell). 🤣  Although, that BOC classic is timeless, and Christopher Walken is unbeatable.  The dude just exudes uniqueness.  Does that make any sense??  

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, ColeThornton said:

No offense intended but where would one play and sing without disturbing and annoying other passengers?

Cabin with balcony door shut. I'm assuming a "normal" voice and acoustic (not amplified) instrument. I did that for years with an acoustic guitar or uke and never had an complaints....I did ask our neighbors when I saw them. According to them they never heard me.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Cabin with balcony door shut. I'm assuming a "normal" voice and acoustic (not amplified) instrument. I did that for years with an acoustic guitar or uke and never had an complaints....I did ask our neighbors when I saw them. According to them they never heard me.

doug, were your neighbors elderly or hard of hearing?

i see post after post on cruise critic about how even thinking about amorous activity can cause noise that can be heard in adjacent cabins, but somehow a guitar and "normal" singing can not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

doug, were your neighbors elderly or hard of hearing?

i see post after post on cruise critic about how even thinking about amorous activity can cause noise that can be heard in adjacent cabins, but somehow a guitar and "normal" singing can not?

Were they hard of hearing? Maybe....they could have been as old as I was at the time!😎 I can only report my person experience. 

I don't recall being disturbed by noises from an adjacent cabin more than once or twice in the 40+ cruises we've taken. Usually that noise was from folks talking too loud on their balconies, but occasionally kids slamming doors, running down the passageways, etc. I hope that experience continues!

Doug

On 9/24/2022 at 6:02 PM, Maleficent's Dad said:

I don’t want her to bring the instrument(s), so I’m hoping to tell her they’re not allowed.  It is crazy that some people think everyone want s to hear them play and sing!

I can totally relate.  We have a woman in our social circle who is becoming a nuisance.  She has taken up an instrument and now turns us into a captive audience at gatherings.  Many of us prefer to have interesting conversation instead but polite hints do not deter her.  As far as there being lots of music all over the ship, that is true but your attendance is voluntary.  Generally you pass by and sit down to listen because you like what you hear and you are interested.  I think a lot depends on her being sensible as to time and place (and duration!) 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

Sometimes there are empty lounges during the day she may be able to play in so it would not disturb others. Or, a far away corner on one of the upper decks . . .

Uh oh!  You are describing the very places those of us who like to read deliberately seek out for quiet.  Many types of music, especially vocalists, are pretty disturbing to people wanting to read in peace.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

She has taken up an instrument and now turns us into a captive audience at gatherings.  Many of us prefer to have interesting conversation instead but polite hints do not deter her. 

Cowards.  Why not just have a face to face, one on one, toe to toe, adult discussion?  That's exactly how grown ups deal with such "problems."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Cowards.  Why not just have a face to face, one on one, toe to toe, adult discussion?  That's exactly how grown ups deal with such "problems."

Well, for one thing it is quite rude when you are a guest in someone's home to get into a confrontation with another guest.  I did actually tell her not to bring her instrument (or her kids or her pets, etc.) when it was my turn to host.   

55 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well, for one thing it is quite rude when you are a guest in someone's home to get into a confrontation with another guest.  I did actually tell her not to bring her instrument (or her kids or her pets, etc.) when it was my turn to host.   

An adult discussion isn't a confrontation unless one or both parties aren't adults.

Acoustic guitars are not necessarily loud instruments.  I think it's very plausible that it could be played in one's stateroom without disturbing neighbors.  I could also imagine it being played on an uncrowded deck at night or an unoccupied lounge or other room.  Even later at night on the waterfront there are usually very few people out.

I can also imagine it being played in inappropriate locations or inappropriate times or inappropriate volumes as others have suggested.   That doesn't mean it can't be played appropriately. 

• Like 2

Let me be amongst the minority to state that I hear no issue with someone who wants to bring an instrument on board. I'd quite delight to hearing music while on the balcony. I asked my husband if he would mind. He's of the same mindset. These Millennials in NY will be your neighbor's wife's balcony neighbor if she needs an audience. I'd much prefer this arrangement to being in the atrium, or elsewhere as I do not enjoy crowds.

One request - the neighbor's wife needs to play me some Jack Johnson!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Let me be amongst the minority to state that I hear no issue with someone who wants to bring an instrument on board. I'd quite delight to hearing music while on the balcony.

How about a fifth-grader practicing clarinet endlessly? 🙉😖

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, KurtMo said:

How about a fifth-grader practicing clarinet endlessly? 🙉😖

How about an old, rich couple two sheets to the wind and screaming at the top of their lungs out on the balcony in front of god and everybody?

Are we going to huff and puff about every single possible anecdotal mathematical possibility about everything that could possibly annoy us on a cruise?

How about someone with a train set out in the hallway, whistles blaring, bells ringing?  Good god, imagine that!!

• Haha 2

This conversation about noise and kids reminds me, this is one area where I have evolved as a human being.  I was a peace & quiet guy, but I married a woman who's at home with utter chaos.  She won.  I still need quiet if I'm studying--e.g. if I'm studying mathematical modelling of physical behaviors, I can't do the noise--but I've come to appreciate what I would categorize as happy sounds.  The squirrels and birds outside fighting over the bird feeder.   The dogs trying to feed on the squirrels.  The kids discussing how to beat the Nintendo.   And now, unfortunately, I'm dealing with all the sounds inside a nursing home, and they're not so good.  I've had hard times in my life where my business duties or marital situation meant that I came home to a dark house.  The dog's not barking because...well...the dog's no longer with us.

The kids and the instruments are happy noises.  And I'm usually not particularly trying to focus on anything on the ship (unless I'm actually the contestant on one of the cruise director's game shows).  I can deal.  The sadness comes when the covid comes and the noises are NOT there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

One request - the neighbor's wife needs to play me some Jack Johnson!

I’d be OK with that, but only if it’s Jack Johnson playing and singing.

I love that this thread is ongoing. It’s a hoot.

Rather like the neighbor‘S wife playing and singing, I have had group conversations in which the person who dominates that conversation believes that by speaking ever louder, they become more interesting and credible.  They seek the attention and that’s their way of getting it.

I hope this lady isn’t the same….perhaps regardless of her talent (or lack thereof), it’s the attention she is seeking, not demonstrating her prodigious musical talents (or lack thereof).

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

....................One request - the neighbor's wife needs to play me some Jack Johnson!

Too bad I don't play anymore. Some of his and Jimmy B's were my favorite go-to's. Alas, old age has taken  another thing from me: trigger finger and arthritis in the hands means no more ukes or guits.

Doug

• Like 1