Whiskey lovers beware!

Rickster

20 hours ago, teddie said:

My Anthem cruise this past February only had Glenfiddich single malt scotch.  No Macallan.  No Balvenie. I survived, though, it was a near thing 🙂

Try the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15. It is my go to scotch. Also their Project XX and Distillery editions can be pretty good. I think they match up quite nicely to the Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, although I might give the nod to the Project XX and Balvenie 16 (also a triple cask like the solera). I have a Glenmorangie 19 I still haven't opened. 

Johnnie Walker and scotch should never be used in the same sentence, even if the bottle is blue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Try the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15. It is my go to scotch. Also their Project XX and Distillery editions can be pretty good. I think they match up quite nicely to the Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, although I might give the nod to the Project XX and Balvenie 16 (also a triple cask like the solera). I have a Glenmorangie 19 I still haven't opened. 

Johnnie Walker and scotch should never be used in the same sentence, even if the bottle is blue.

Just to be clear, no self-respecting Scot would drink anything <46 proof and, for what it's worth:

WHISKY - Scottish nectar of the Gods 🤩

WHISKEY - the Irish imitation 🤭

SCOTCH - a reel of sticky tape 🙄

Slainte Mhath, mo chairdean 😋

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, allyfree said:

Just to be clear, no self-respecting Scot would drink anything <46 proof and, for what it's worth:

Slainte Mhath, mo chairdean 😋

Oh boy, I can see our Irish members getting "their Irish up" over that! I'm an American with both Scottish and Irish ancestors, so I jump to the side of the boat that yells the loudest usually. I can handle whiskey and whisky equally well, but I do have a problem match the brogue with the drink.😉

Doug

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, allyfree said:

Well for those of us living on the rebellious side of the pond, it is not so simple. It seems some of our early rebellious ancestors decided that corn or (gasp!) rye would make an excellent starting point for an alcoholic beverage  Being of Irish descent or simply a little mad from sampling a first cut, they called it Whiskey. Now it may appear different via the written word, but everyone knows writing and imbibing due not lend themselves to written communication, and Whiskey and Whisky pretty much sound the same, especially when sampling such products. So it is fairly common on this this side of the pond to use the term "Scotch", which as you may know is short for "Scotch Whisky", in order to properly distinguish The Scottish Nectar of The Gods from the Irish Imitation. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:28 PM, 3kidsncats said:

Maybe the distillers need to start a “send in your empty bottle” program—we had a Bourbon deficiency on Anthem in January and it was not fun, lol 

I can see some people being willing to physically bring their own bottles.   I've known some wineries that do that.   Memory is a bit fuzzy on whether any of those were in the US.   I remember my Czech relatives bringing out a bottle of a good red in a big glass soda bottle.  

• 2 weeks later...

Checking to see if anyone has seen Crown Royal back on RCL cruises.

We are going on a 8 night Mariner cruise in a couple of weeks and the wife only likes to drink cocktails made with Crown. Washington Apple is her favorite. I on the other hand like bourbon so not a problem for me. We were on the Harmony back in September and there wasn't any Crown on the ship and the DW was not a happy camper. I have read and heard from some of the bartenders on the ship that Royal had lost the contract with Crown Royal, so I wanted to check if they have ironed things out. I know they still sell Crown Royal in the gift shops, but the shops and the bars are two separate entities and the bartenders can't just go down the shops and grab a bottle. 

Thanks for any updates.

1 hour ago, vett3456 said:

Checking to see if anyone has seen Crown Royal back on RCL cruises.

We are going on a 8 night Mariner cruise in a couple of weeks and the wife only likes to drink cocktails made with Crown. Washington Apple is her favorite. I on the other hand like bourbon so not a problem for me. We were on the Harmony back in September and there wasn't any Crown on the ship and the DW was not a happy camper. I have read and heard from some of the bartenders on the ship that Royal had lost the contract with Crown Royal, so I wanted to check if they have ironed things out. I know they still sell Crown Royal in the gift shops, but the shops and the bars are two separate entities and the bartenders can't just go down the shops and grab a bottle. 

Thanks for any updates.

I have seen Crown on my recent cruises - just back from Harmony 5/6. I don't recall seeing flavors, but I don't drink the stuff (I'm a vodka girl) so may just not have noticed.

38 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

I have seen Crown on my recent cruises - just back from Harmony 5/6. I don't recall seeing flavors, but I don't drink the stuff (I'm a vodka girl) so may just not have noticed.

Thank you NRWPA for the update, hopefully they will have some on the Mariner too.

11 minutes ago, vett3456 said:

Thank you NRWPA for the update, hopefully they will have some on the Mariner too.

Just noticed you're from Summerfield - my parents lived there for many years in Del Webb Spruce Creek community. Unfortunately my Dad died in 2020 and Mom died in 2022. Made me think of them both