Whiskey lovers beware!

Rickster

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

We've been told by a whiskey connoisseur that the supply chain disruption is with the bottle companies. They haven't been able to produce enough bottles.

Yep.  I live in a very large subdivision and we have a neighborhood bourbon club with over 30 members.  Several distributors have come to us to present their products and that's exactly what they said - plenty of booze, not enough bottles.  The main issue is that the bottles come from China.  The brands that source bottles from other countries (such as in the USA for bourbon) are doing better, but still challenged with a lack of trucks to deliver.   

Just off Symphony and I have to say they really upped their bourbon and whiskey game.

In the Pub I saw the best bourbon selection I’ve ever seen on a ship.

Elajah Craig

Buffalo Trace

Four Roses

Angels Envy

Woodford Reserve 

Wild Turkey 101

Gentlemen Jack

Makers Mark

Old Forester

Jim Beam

As well as a selection of Irish whiskey and scotch.

Schooner Bar had Whistle Pig 10 year

• Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 7:44 PM, mac66 said:

Celebrity was having the same problem. Had the premium package, only trouble was the only "premium" whiskey they had left was Maker's Mark.   I generally drink Scotch but the only scotch they had was Dewars, Can't drink that so I settled for bourbon.

And I got used to drinking Guinness when I was in Ireland. Got the last two cans on the ship, that's all they had. Went to every bar multiple times, asked the bar managers on several occasions. None to be had. What a bummer.

It is strange that they WILL NOT restock during a cruise.

• 6 months later...
On 9/25/2022 at 12:48 AM, Rickster said:

Just returned from Bermuda on the Enchantment of the Seas and the selection of whiskey on board was very limited.    No Crown Royal, Bulliet, Woodford, Jim Beam and on and on.  One bar had a bottle of Makers, Buffalo Trace was very scarce.  Probably the only brand fully stocked was Wild Turkey 101.  The gift shop was fully stocked.  RCI should have placed some of these bottles in their bars.  Thankfully I did not purchase a drink package.  We did find an excellent bartender at the Schooner Bar who took pretty good care of us.  Overall a great cruise to Bermuda and back.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, rudeney said:

Yep.  I live in a very large subdivision and we have a neighborhood bourbon club with over 30 members.  Several distributors have come to us to present their products and that's exactly what they said - plenty of booze, not enough bottles.  The main issue is that the bottles come from China.  The brands that source bottles from other countries (such as in the USA for bourbon) are doing better, but still challenged with a lack of trucks to deliver.   

Yes...Buffalo Trace is almost impossible to get in Florida. I say if it is a bottle issue...well time to do like they did back in the day with pop bottles...pay a return deposit for each bottle. 

11 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Can we order a bottle of booze for cabin delivery? I know the selection would be very limited, and the price very high, but sometimes the convenience of a bottle in the cabin trumps quality. 😉

Doug

it depends on the ship.  

Shop Onboard Wine & Liquor with Royal Gifts | Royal Caribbean International

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't see where it varies by ship at that link. All one can do on that page is choose between the three spirits offered. Clicking on one of those three then shows fields for the ship and the date appear and are for selecting your cruise.

Or are you saying that once onboard I might be able to order a bottle for delivery to my cabin? Princess is/was like that; either pre-order, or order from cabin service once under way.

We're still working on how we're going to handle the adult beverage situation on the Brilliance....but we have lots of time; our sail date isn't until October of 2024. 😎 We also need to figure out if we can bring soft drinks with us when we board. Anyone know?

Doug

On 9/25/2022 at 7:44 PM, mac66 said:

And I got used to drinking Guinness when I was in Ireland. Got the last two cans on the ship, that's all they had. Went to every bar multiple times, asked the bar managers on several occasions. None to be had. What a bummer.

Even pre-pandemic we used to always drink them out of whichever IPA they had on board in the pub.  I think it used to be Red Hook Long Hammer IPA.  I give up on good beer on board though, hopefully no vodka shortages!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Even pre-pandemic we used to always drink them out of whichever IPA they had on board in the pub.  I think it used to be Red Hook Long Hammer IPA.  I give up on good beer on board though, hopefully no vodka shortages!

I have to agree with you.  Although, in 2017, During march break, Anthem had Dogfish 90 IPA at the "English" pub.  It only took us (We were a few families) 2 days to clean out their stock, but yummy!!!

Other than that occasion, Red Hook and Goose Island were the most seen IPAs onboard.

dp

21 minutes ago, dpostman said:

I have to agree with you.  Although, in 2017, During march break, Anthem had Dogfish 90 IPA at the "English" pub.  It only took us (We were a few families) 2 days to clean out their stock, but yummy!!!

Other than that occasion, Red Hook and Goose Island were the most seen IPAs onboard.

dp

I always get excited when I find drinkable (to me) IPAs - the only reason I tolerated Red Hook was I was on a ship lol.  Given IPAs really shouldn't sit, I get why they don't stock them, but at least now with Playmakers there is often something drinkable on draft.  I'll be curious what I found on board in October but am 99.9% certain I'll be focused on vodka/waters as they're easy and I won't have to worry about which I start drinking first lol!  Long gone on the days I could mix it all up! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twangster said:

Honestly Royal has never been a great whiskey line.  Usually I can find something, but rarely has it been my preferred label.

My Anthem cruise this past February only had Glenfiddich single malt scotch.  No Macallan.  No Balvenie. I survived, though, it was a near thing 🙂

Teddie

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I don't see where it varies by ship at that link. All one can do on that page is choose between the three spirits offered. Clicking on one of those three then shows fields for the ship and the date appear and are for selecting your cruise.

Or are you saying that once onboard I might be able to order a bottle for delivery to my cabin? Princess is/was like that; either pre-order, or order from cabin service once under way.

We're still working on how we're going to handle the adult beverage situation on the Brilliance....but we have lots of time; our sail date isn't until October of 2024. 😎 We also need to figure out if we can bring soft drinks with us when we board. Anyone know?

Doug

If you use the drop down menu, you can see that not every ship is listed.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you use the drop down menu, you can see that not every ship is listed.

Ours is, Brilliance of the Seas. But ouch! So some ships you cannot even pre-order from that meager triad! That's really rotten. 😳

Doug

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Honestly Royal has never been a great whiskey line.  Usually I can find something, but rarely has it been my preferred label.

When I cruised in 2017/2018 I was able to find Blantons and Four Roses in a few bars. In Oct 2021, not as much luck as in the past.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, Aquahound said:

No Crown Royal on Ovation.  One of the bartenders said something about RCI falling out of contract with someone.  It was a bummer because Washington apple martinis are one of my favorite drinks.  

That’s my favorite too🍸!