Currently On Board...Questionable Call on Sydney NS due to Fiona's Damage

BklynBoy8

As posted on our Roll Call...

Questionable if QM2 will Call on Sydney NS due

to Damage and expected weather...

We are departing Boston after a full day here. Part of the day was with good weather but now raining on our leaving the Port.

We have been notified over the last two days of the destruction of the Canadian Martimes from Hurricane now Tropical Storm Fiona. We had a feeling the Sydney our next Port of Call could be questionable due to the massive damage done by the Storm.

Well before our steaming away from Boston, Captain Hall notified us that the Port of Call can be questionable due to the conditions from the storm and also the weather we will face there.

If it does not look safe we will be cancelling the Port of Call. Also the weather also may factor the chances of Calling also safely. 

A final determation will be made of the Call at Sydney with contact with official at Sydney. If not favorable will remain for an additional day at sea added before arrival at Quebec.

Have not left the cabin yet but will see the reactions of those on board for the next few hours and day..

Will post final decision when announced..on reading local reports in the press. We personally planned to cancel tours..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I can't imagine the port call going ahead. Thousands are still without power, and Cape Breton is in a state of emergency for the next week. 

We will use sea days till Quebec. If no good news. We don't know anything about Halifax also as our last POC for trip. They got really bad too.

This is a Sailing to have patience and keep calm. 

We already got our Sydney refunded thru Concierge. Have to see if Tour Office has a long line tomorrow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

... We don't know anything about Halifax also as our last POC for trip. They got really bad too.

According to some on-line comments, Halifax was spared the worst of it. On Sunday the "novascotiawebcams" showed a cruise ship docked at Pier 22. The sun was shining and the harbour was calm.

As I type this (Monday morning) the webcam is showing Holland America's Zaandam pulling into Pier 22.

Cape Breton was very badly hit by Fiona. Many are still without power and the roads could be impassable due to washouts and fallen trees. They've called in the army to help. Halifax and Charlottetown have been badly affected as well. Most of Prince Edward Island lost power. It was bad in the Magdalen Islands too. I suspect the only port able to receive cruise ship passengers right now would be Saint John, NB, but that is off your route. I will copy and paste on your roll call because I originally joined it because we were supposed to be boarding in Quebec, but had to cancel because of my niece's wedding. So I appreciate the posts about the cruise not taken for us. I've had all the fun of planning three without actually paying for them now because of the wee hiccups in the industry.

• Like 1

Sydney is Out Tomorrow announced by Captain Hall - 10AM.

Due to the severe damage and weather conditions to experience the Port of Call Sydney NS.

In communication which is very difficult to maintain with Sydney a decision made to call the visit off as they are in severe recovery mode at this time. Two other ships are also not calling at the Port.

There are not other Ports we call on at this time since that also takes time to arrange at this time on our voyage.

Passengers are being refunded for the 7 tours that were supposed to be offered.

Not mentioned but must see if Halifax will also be questioned. We also know one of our tours arranged for Quebec was Cancelled and soon be refunded.

• Thanks 1

This sort of thing is just bad luck. But a land based vacation is so much worse in these scenarios. At least you can be positioned where the weather is better.

I had a cruise in the Bahamas the first week in September and knew that there was a risk. Forecast wasn’t great. Turned out that the week was perfect.

I once hit the latest ever hurricane in the Atlantic on a cruise to the Caribbean from NY on the QE2. In those days you knew nothing and no one told you much until afterwards.

8 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

This sort of thing is just bad luck. But a land based vacation is so much worse in these scenarios. At least you can be positioned where the weather is better.

I had a cruise in the Bahamas the first week in September and knew that there was a risk. Forecast wasn’t great. Turned out that the week was perfect.

I once hit the latest ever hurricane in the Atlantic on a cruise to the Caribbean from NY on the QE2. In those days you knew nothing and no one told you much until afterwards.

We are all fine.

3 days in Quebec as beautiful as we can ask.

4 days at sea and had a lot to do. No problem......

Heading out from Quebec tomorrow and moving on to next Port.

All worked out.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying a lunch in Little Québec 

What walk up to Chateau Frontenac. Around Upper Québec. After will visit Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral. What Beautiful City.

Ship leaving 5.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Enjoying a lunch in Little Québec 

What walk up to Chateau Frontenac. Around Upper Québec. After will visit Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral. What Beautiful City.

Ship leaving 5.

Thanks for your updates, Eddie.  So glad that you are enjoying your time in Quebec City.  It is one of our favorite places.  Hoping that the rest of your voyage is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1