Dining Package mess

myacuna

I am trying to find the logic here (aside from money, clearly).

I booked a 3 night dining package for myself ($120) because the system would not allow me to book for both myself and my husband. I called and dealt with a rep for over 45 min who ultimately told me I got the last package and my husband would have to book online because the restaurants are sold out (HA).

Chops +1 and UDP are still for sale. Should I cancel my 3 night and book us both for C+1 or wait til we board and see what 3 night package they can sell to husband. Clearly not dining alone, and want to make sure I can cancel my 3 night package on board if needed.

I am also not stupid...reservations are not sold out. 🙄

Keep your package for now, and watch the cruise planner for more offers.  It could be they are no longer selling the package at the price you paid.  You can cancel at anytime before the cruise (on the cruise, too???) and get a refund back to your credit card.

If they have more for sale later, cancel yours, and then book for 2.

I agree they most likely do not have every table for every night booked with the package.  They're playing with the availability.  They always sell the packages on board the ship, too.

Edited by pcur

9 minutes ago, myacuna said:

I am trying to find the logic here (aside from money, clearly).

I booked a 3 night dining package for myself ($120) because the system would not allow me to book for both myself and my husband. I called and dealt with a rep for over 45 min who ultimately told me I got the last package and my husband would have to book online because the restaurants are sold out (HA).

Chops +1 and UDP are still for sale. Should I cancel my 3 night and book us both for C+1 or wait til we board and see what 3 night package they can sell to husband. Clearly not dining alone, and want to make sure I can cancel my 3 night package on board if needed.

I am also not stupid...reservations are not sold out. 🙄

they do sell out of dining package, I have seen it happened but then might add some back later.  When is your cruise?  just keep checking and see if it opens back up.

We just did this. Be aware when you book Chops for the first 2 nights, we picked the 2nd night at 8:30.  When we got on the ship to make the next 2 reservations for the other 2 specialty restaurants, we were told we had not reservation for that day/time.  Ugggg. Had to have Chops the first night at 8:00 I believe it was.

All dining packages are capacity controlled so there is availability for reservations at full price.  If they oversold the dining packages they'd lose money since no one could book a specialty venue either in advance or on board at full price.  

They aren't trying to pull the wool over your eyes, it's not a matter of being stupid.  You probably did get the last dining package available.  

• Like 2

On our last WotS cruise we could not get a 3 night dining package so bought 3 meals at 3 restaurants...once on board we asked about the 3 night package and they sold us one straight away and cancelled our individual meals. I would wait until you are on board and check then.

Just a suggestions.  Book Chops +1 for your husband and then book a 3rd restaurant separately in the cruise planner, if availability.  You need to coordinate the nights and time.

Some years ago, I was told that Royal kept some 25% for on board booking of excursions, restaurants and theater/entertainment, when we were able to make them in the cruise planner.