Formal night ??

Zeno

10 hours ago, Zeno said:

How many formal nights on a 14 day cruise?  Is formal wear mandatory or suggested on formal nights?  My husband simply will Not dress formally - nice pants, nice shirt and tie - no problem.  What alternative dining possibilities that are not formal on formal nights would be available

Thx

NO, not required to dress formally.  Let the DH wear what ever he wants.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Our 15 day cruise has three formal nights. I believe MDR is the only place where an effort is made to make things more formal.

Our cruise is a Hawaii one so I am going to wear a sport coat (blue blazer) grey slacks and no tie. If I didn't have a sport coat I'd skip the MDR and do the Crown Grill or Sabatini's (o buffet). I don't see many tuxedos on Hawaii cruises. I think they look nice, but I am not taking one to Hawaii.

On our Hawaii cruise I'm going to wear a Hawaiian style shirt and slacks most evenings, even on formal night. It's a Hawaii cruise, not a job interview. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

On our Hawaii cruise I'm going to wear a Hawaiian style shirt and slacks most evenings, even on formal night. It's a Hawaii cruise, not a job interview. 

On our Hawaii cruise I'm going to wear an Aloha shirt (Reyn Spooner) and slacks most evenings, and on formal night I'll add a sport coat if I go to the MDR.

• Like 2

I used to bring and wear my tux on every cruise.  Then at some point (I believe it was on a European cruise,) I realized that I was in the minority and felt strangely out of place.  On my next cruise I brought my black funeral suit (only suit I still own,) and wore it with a white shirt and colorful tie (not the black one.)  That lasted one cruise.  I then graduated to a blazer with a couple of dress pants (I brought a tie but didn't always wear it.)  I'm now going to vary between dress shirts and polo shirts (I have one or two that costs more than a tuxedo) with the blazer or maybe just a dress shirt and slacks (depending upon the weather, I may skip the blazer.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Zeno said:

How many formal nights on a 14 day cruise?  Is formal wear mandatory or suggested on formal nights?  My husband simply will Not dress formally - nice pants, nice shirt and tie - no problem.  What alternative dining possibilities that are not formal on formal nights would be available

Thx

Normally about 4 formal nights on a 14 day trip.. The Captain has the final say. It is strongly suggested. I mean is it that hard to wear a decent shirt nice pants? If he wears decent clothing(NO SHORTS) on any night in the mdr, I doubt he'll be relegated to the buffet. Just decent clothes such as: Nice collared shirt(no cut offs t's or similar)decent pants Khakis or similar. If he wears jeans they need to be decent quality. In other words dress like you would if going to a fairly nice restaurant & not Golden Corral

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 12:18 PM, Alaskanb said:

My husband wears black or grey dress pants, white or grey shirt, and a tie --as well as undies, socks, and shoes. 

Thank God for the undies LOL! Tie is not necessary. We usually wear similar, but add a sport coat on occasion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I had about 8 Tommy Bahama shirts & they looked great.

6 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Normally about 4 formal nights on a 14 day trip.. The Captain has the final say. It is strongly suggested. I mean is it that hard to wear a decent shirt nice pants? If he wears decent clothing(NO SHORTS) on any night in the mdr, I doubt he'll be relegated to the buffet. Just decent clothes such as: Nice collared shirt(no cut offs t's or similar)decent pants Khakis or similar. If he wears jeans they need to be decent quality. In other words dress like you would if going to a fairly nice restaurant & not Golden Corral

3 if it is a true 14-night cruise.  If it is actually 2x 7-nighters, then 2 each week.

20 hours ago, CruiseSter1ing said:

Smart casual is the style. "Anything" he wants could be trashy. Some boundaries need to be kept. Sorry, but cutoff t shirt & skanky shorts are not acceptable at night.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, sloopsailor said:

Good. Going "commando" would hugely upset the formal night purists. 

I'd make a joke(Pee Wee Herman style) but those who don't get humor would be upset.

21 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Our 15 day cruise has three formal nights. I believe MDR is the only place where an effort is made to make things more formal.

Our cruise is a Hawaii one so I am going to wear a sport coat (blue blazer) grey slacks and no tie. If I didn't have a sport coat I'd skip the MDR and do the Crown Grill or Sabatini's (o buffet). I don't see many tuxedos on Hawaii cruises. I think they look nice, but I am not taking one to Hawaii.

That will fit the formal nights fine.

12 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Has he tried going commando? It can be so freeing. 🤣

Those with the kilts will have the tux guys in their polished patent leather shoes seeing what the Scots wear or not wear under those kilts. Like Pee Wee Herman wearing "Shoe Mirrors" There I said it. That's the Pee Wee Herman gag from his stage act.

1 hour ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Why is it that some people feel it necessary to name drop something as inconsequential as who makes an aloha shirt. 

Everyone who is impressed, raise your hand. 

Some shirts are well made like TB & some like the cheap ones that last a week are not.Why do some people use the names of celebrities & some use their own name?

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

General
On our Cruise Boards, this information may sometimes provided by our volunteer Community Hosts and more often by other contributors, the majority of whom use anonymous user names and are people we've never met. You have no idea who they are, what they do, or what their agenda could possibly be -- and neither do we. The only requirement for membership is a valid e-mail address.

Such an adorable little rabbit. 

On 10/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, Bobbiegentry said:

Why is it that some people feel it necessary to name drop something as inconsequential as who makes an aloha shirt. 

Everyone who is impressed, raise your hand. 

On 10/1/2022 at 5:51 PM, rbtan said:

Some shirts are well made like TB & some like the cheap ones that last a week are not.

rbtan, are you aware of the "Ignore User" function on CC?  Go to your profile.  I find it a very useful tool, particularly when unpleasant types (who have signed up recently, in many cases) show me they will  likely never post anything I find worth my time (i.e., trollesque comments.)  Just a heads up, my friend.

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, CruiseSter1ing said:

It's like that all over now. At the SF Philharmonic Saturday night the most common attire was a version of

On 9/30/2022 at 8:06 PM, malba2366 said:

Canadian Tuxedo

Saw the same leaving the Opera. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:41 AM, Zeno said:

Thx

I used to always wear a tuxedo, but then I realized that standing out in the crowd.

I started wearing a dark business suit (with tie.)   Still stood out like the proverbial sore thumb.

I went to the traditional blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, with gray slacks ... still a little out of place.

I then went to a blazer, dress shirt, tie, and khaki slacks ... a little better but still stood out.

On my last cruise, I brought a blazer, dress shirt, tie, slacks, fancy polo shirt, but just wore the blazer, and polo shirt with slacks.  The next formal night I just wore the dress shirt with slacks.  Thank goodness the tie didn't take up too much space.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:13 PM, Kay S said:

rbtan, are you aware of the "Ignore User" function on CC?  Go to your profile.  I find it a very useful tool, particularly when unpleasant types (who have signed up recently, in many cases) show me they will  likely never post anything I find worth my time (i.e., trollesque comments.)  Just a heads up, my friend.

Thanks. Appreciate the heads up on the ignore button.

I guessed wrong on when Formal nights would be and booked Specialty Dining for those 'incorrect' nights and so, went to MDR with Dockers and Short sleeve shirt on actual Formal Nights. Counted five or six Tuxedos, including one at our table, but did not feel out of place. DW always has a dressy top, so it is never a problem for her.

Edited by Tedferg