Our first transocean is a long one.

We're jumping into transocean cruising with both feet!  Our first transocean voyage will be 29 days from Los Angeles to Auckland.  What do we need to know?  Weather in January?  Packing tips?  How did you manage close quarters for such a long time?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

We're jumping into transocean cruising with both feet!  Our first transocean voyage will be 29 days from Los Angeles to Auckland.  What do we need to know?  Weather in January?  Packing tips?  How did you manage close quarters for such a long time?

Congratulations!  I think you have made a wise choice; that's a great cruise and Auckland and New Zealand are a wonderfully pleasant and friendly places to visit.

On what ship?   Pack as one would do for a 10-14 day cruise; plan to either do laundry or use the ship's laundry services.  What type of cabin have you booked?  I have never had any "tight quarters" feel to an outside cabin.  If there is a veranda, that makes the cabin experience even better.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, rkacruiser said:

On what ship?   Pack as one would do for a 10-14 day cruise; plan to either do laundry or use the ship's laundry services.  What type of cabin have you booked?  I have never had any "tight quarters" feel to an outside cabin.  If there is a veranda, that makes the cabin experience even better.  

We'll be on Oceania Insignia in a veranda cabin....hoping my husband and I are still friends when we disembark!  🤣

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

We'll be on Oceania Insignia in a veranda cabin....hoping my husband and I are still friends when we disembark!  🤣

We have done 32  days  in an Ocean view  & lived to tell the tale 😉

Just do not stay in the cabin  all day ..get out & enjoy the ship  or  meet others to chat with

JMO

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We have done 32  days  in an Ocean view  & lived to tell the tale 😉

Just do not stay in the cabin  all day ..get out & enjoy the ship  or  meet others to chat with

JMO

No worries about staying in the cabin, Lynn.  We previously cruised on Regatta and loved being up on deck.  We love the small ships.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, YoPhilly said:

Have fun and plan on reading, relaxing and dining.  And don’t forget the corkscrew…lol.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

There is usually one in the cabin 😉

“Don’t forget the corkscrew “…Just an old joke from a seagoing era of long ago.😉

Many people do not realize that by making an ocean crossing they are repeating some of the same rituals that their ancestors did.  The whole ocean crossing experience is really reliving history from the 1850’s onwards.  Walking the decks, lounging in deck chairs, dining lavishly, dressing for dinner, The Captain’s Reception, The Captain’s Dinner, dining at the Captain’s Table, cocktails and dancing to a live orchestra, cabin stewards caring for their passengers, etc. etc. All of these rituals are traditions that have evolved and have been handed down over the centuries. Dining in an extra tariff restaurant while onboard was a feature that started on the HAPAG liner Amerika in 1903.  To me, there is nothing in this world that is more satisfying than preparing for an ocean voyage and experiencing a ship at sea with all the rituals and traditions of the daily routine of a crossing.  Ships might cruise but they are built to sail.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

“Don’t forget the corkscrew “…Just an old joke from a seagoing era of long ago.😉

Many people do not realize that by making an ocean crossing they are repeating some of the same rituals that their ancestors did.  The whole ocean crossing experience is really reliving history from the 1850’s onwards.  Walking the decks, lounging in deck chairs, dining lavishly, dressing for dinner, The Captain’s Reception, The Captain’s Dinner, dining at the Captain’s Table, cocktails and dancing to a live orchestra, cabin stewards caring for their passengers, etc. etc..  

well I guess not all people had that experience

My GF  came in 1890  at the age of 14  as  a HOME CHILD  with several hundred other children destined for farms in Canada

not a lavish experience for them

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Many people do not realize that by making an ocean crossing they are repeating some of the same rituals that their ancestors did.  The whole ocean crossing experience is really reliving history from the 1850’s onwards.  Walking the decks, lounging in deck chairs, dining lavishly, dressing for dinner, The Captain’s Reception, The Captain’s Dinner, dining at the Captain’s Table, cocktails and dancing to a live orchestra, cabin stewards caring for their passengers, etc. etc. All of these rituals are traditions that have evolved and have been handed down over the centuries. Dining in an extra tariff restaurant while onboard was a feature that started on the HAPAG liner Amerika in 1903.  To me, there is nothing in this world that is more satisfying than preparing for an ocean voyage and experiencing a ship at sea with all the rituals and traditions of the daily routine of a crossing.  Ships might cruise but they are built to sail.  

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of "Real" sailing. I was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of the great days of steaming on real ships.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Many people do not realize that by making an ocean crossing they are repeating some of the same rituals that their ancestors did.  T

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

To me, there is nothing in this world that is more satisfying than preparing for an ocean voyage and experiencing a ship at sea with all the rituals and traditions of the daily routine of a crossing.  

I agree.  My husband and I love just being out on the open ocean.  There's NOTHING more relaxing than that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

well I guess not all people had that experience

My GF  came in 1890  at the age of 14  as  a HOME CHILD  with several hundred other children destined for farms in Canada

not a lavish experience for them

My great great grandfather landed at East Boston in 1849 after an excruciating voyage from Ireland.  When he got off the ship the locals threw rocks at him and told him to go back.  Good thing he was resilient.  He met my great great grandmother to-be on that voyage.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of "Real" sailing. I was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of the great days of steaming on real ships.

Thanks Heidi, our ranks are rapidly thinning.  Most of the folks on CC only started cruising in the eighties and nineties.  They will never know what a proper ship was like…or a five day crossing for that matter.  The SS France was capable of doing a constant 32 knots…unheard of in this day and age.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Heidi, our ranks are rapidly thinning.  Most of the folks on CC only started cruising in the eighties and nineties.  They will never know what a proper ship was like…or a five day crossing for that matter.  The SS France was capable of doing a constant 32 knots…unheard of in this day and age.

Great ships.

While we routinely cruised at 20 - 25 kts, I recall once on SS Oriana, when based in Sydney, we opened up all 4 boilers and was making 31 to 32 kts. Amazing experience.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:55 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

To me, there is nothing in this world that is more satisfying than preparing for an ocean voyage and experiencing a ship at sea with all the rituals and traditions of the daily routine of a crossing.

Well said and my thoughts as well.  I encourage people that have any interest in learning the background of what they are experiencing to read some of the excellent maritime histories that have been written.  John Maxtone-Graham's books, particularly The Only Way To Cross, are must reads.  A book titled The Elizabeth (don't recall the author) is an informative and interesting read.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We just booked a transatlantic for November 2023 on Windstar's Wind Surf. Starting that cruise off in Barcelona- Lisbon, then 14 days to St Maarten.  22 days total!

Just got off the Windstar, 18 days- Barbados to Puerto Caldera. Beautiful adventure, only 106 passengers!

Looking forward to a transatlantic, been a bucket list item for me for years.

Edited by Cometman
spelling

29 days sounds awesome, but I know what you mean about tight quarters. My advice is to give your husband (and he gives you) plenty of space throughout the cruise. For example, maybe don't wait on each other for EVERY breakfast or lunch. If one of you wants to sleep in, let them...and the other can go eat alone. Take breaks, take naps (separately), don't refuse to go to something unless your husband goes with you (and vice versa--such as the gym, or trivia, or a walk), etc. And this goes without saying, but the main way to keep it from being "too much" is to avoid criticizing. I've seen couples pick and nag about what the other one is eating, wearing, why are they walking in the wrong direction, why do you want to (take a nap or walk or whatever) RIGHT NOW? I've seen pouting and sulking when one spouse doesn't want to do what the other one does. Give each other lots of breathing room and make sure the goal is to enjoy your trip, both as individuals and as a couple.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We were on the SS France in 1964 across the north atlantic.  I remember it being very cold and rough.  Before the age of stabilizers!  Almost drowned in the pool, the water was sloshing so much from side to side, caught me off guard and under I went!

6 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

We were on the SS France in 1964 across the north atlantic.  I remember it being very cold and rough.  Before the age of stabilizers!  Almost drowned in the pool, the water was sloshing so much from side to side, caught me off guard and under I went!

Folks have to realize that crossing the North Atlantic in those days was a different experience than repositioning a ship in the Southern Atlantic is today.  The SS France made a 5 day crossing at about 28 knots…that’s a land speed in excess of 30 mph!  The France could cut through the choppy seas.  OBTW…you might be surprised to know that the SS France did have stabilizers.  A lot of times they were not used because it would slow the ship down and in those days schedules had to be maintained.  The SS France was in transatlantic competition with the Queen Elizabeth 2.  They were the only express liners, at that time, capable of handling the North Atlantic in all weather conditions.  

We were sailing out of Miami in 1993 on the Norway which was the original SS France converted for NCL.  There had been a storm and the seas were still churning up. The RCL Sovereign Of The Seas sailed out 2 hours ahead of us and had to return to Miami.  The seas were too rough!  The Norway ex SS France left Miami on time as we waved to the folks on the Sovereign.  The seas were rough but the old girl extended her stabilizers and sailed on magnificently.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We did a transpacific and enjoyed most of it. We found several nice groups to hang out with. Look to see if there are folks on your roll call. We were assigned seating in the MDR with a pretty horrible group (our first time ever) and asked to be changed. The second group was a lot of fun and we did some activities together, like games. Load up your device with some books, take advantage of the ship's offering like dance classes during the day. You will have lots of fun. We hope to repeat this voyage in the fall.

BTW, in Auckland, don't miss their wonderful Auckland Museum. One of the best in the world. Also, we took a day trip to Hobbiton- one of our favorite excursions ever!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2022 at 7:39 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My husband did numerous crossings on the SS United States as a child in the 60s. The last one the family was moving back from Germany, they had the dog in the kennel, the car in the hold, and the hamster in the cabin. It took 3 days. 

Last summer he really wanted me to try and have a crossing experience again. We did 9 nights from Hamburg to NYC on the QM2. He expected it to be a one and done. Much to our surprise I really enjoyed it despite turbulent seas and a lot of gloomy weather. We are doing the QM2 crossing again after our Arctic/Europe vacation this summer. It sure beats flying. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 4:57 PM, JSR said:

My husband did numerous crossings on the SS United States as a child in the 60s. The last one the family was moving back from Germany, they had the dog in the kennel, the car in the hold, and the hamster in the cabin. It took 3 days. 

Last summer he really wanted me to try and have a crossing experience again. We did 9 nights from Hamburg to NYC on the QM2. He expected it to be a one and done. Much to our surprise I really enjoyed it despite turbulent seas and a lot of gloomy weather. We are doing the QM2 crossing again after our Arctic/Europe vacation this summer. It sure beats flying. 

Great to hear you enjoyed your Cunard experience.  We have done the Cunard TA 4 times.  My first crossing was on the original Queen Elizabeth in 1965…😳. Crossing on the QM2 certainly beats flying.

• Like 1