T Mobile International Coverage

The-Inside-Cabin

I am looking at switching from ATT to T Mobile - they have - on paper - great prices and terms for international coverage.   But this fine print caught my eye.

"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the US and primary usage must occur on our network. Device must register on our network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for our partners’ networks."

I chatted with T mobile and they said the 6 months is the limit for consecutive international use.   

Appreciate any insight from T Mobile customers - Is the international coverage as good as they claim?  Any issues with "extended international use?"

46 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am looking at switching from ATT to T Mobile - they have - on paper - great prices and terms for international coverage.   But this fine print caught my eye.

"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the US and primary usage must occur on our network. Device must register on our network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for our partners’ networks."

I chatted with T mobile and they said the 6 months is the limit for consecutive international use.   

Appreciate any insight from T Mobile customers - Is the international coverage as good as they claim?  Any issues with "extended international use?"

I chatted with a second T Mobile agent who at first said - the max consecutive time away was 30 days - when I pressed - they said - Oh - it was 90 days - of course they won't put anything in writing outside chat.

In most places overseas, we have had really good T-Mobile coverage at 4G-LTE speeds.  We switched to T-Mobile after the last world cruise we did, so we know we might get caught in the "primary usage must be on T-Mobile network" issue this time ... we will be gone for over 200 days next year.  They send a message when your roaming exceeds the domestic/international time restrictions and you call to explain your circumstances and it is handled on a cases by case basis (we were told when we called).  I imagine that if your usage overseas is over the top, they might be less lenient.  I understand they have a monthly pass we can purchase ... but we can't, as far as I understand, add it in advance since our plan (now retired) already has the generous roaming terms.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

In most places overseas, we have had really good T-Mobile coverage at 4G-LTE speeds.  We switched to T-Mobile after the last world cruise we did, so we know we might get caught in the "primary usage must be on T-Mobile network" issue this time ... we will be gone for over 200 days next year.  They send a message when your roaming exceeds the domestic/international time restrictions and you call to explain your circumstances and it is handled on a cases by case basis (we were told when we called).  I imagine that if your usage overseas is over the top, they might be less lenient.  I understand they have a monthly pass we can purchase ... but we can't, as far as I understand, add it in advance since our plan (now retired) already has the generous roaming terms.

Thanks - appreciate the insight - I could save $150 a month on the  world cruise - but not worth it if I am going to get hassled...

26 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thanks - appreciate the insight - I could save $150 a month on the  world cruise - but not worth it if I am going to get hassled...

Friends who had it on the 2017 world cruise did not get hassled.  But I believe they were on a family plan and the rest of the family was using it in the USA.  I guess we will find out.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

Friends who had it on the 2017 world cruise did not get hassled.  But I believe they were on a family plan and the rest of the family was using it in the USA.  I guess we will find out.

I went to the local T Mobile store and the manager said 3 months max - only active duty military gets exceptions.    

That was that.

I called again on the phone and finally ended up with a manager - who said the same thing.

As you noted he went on to say if I am on a family plan and one line is active in the USA the other lines won't get flagged.  

Also, you get flagged if you use 50% more data overseas than when you were in the USA.  Some folks online have recommended that you run up a huge domestic download in December - so that will be enough to carry you over for four months of lower international usage.

Many people here have reported no issues on previous world cruises, but I don't want to rely on getting an exception to T-Mobile's now clearly established policy.  

I wonder if someone with years as a T-Mobile customer might get better treatment if their account gets flagged. Hard to say.  

In my case, I would be a new customer for less than 2 months - then leave for 4 months.  I don't want to have to deal with pesky text messages in the Canary Islands to save $450 or so.   

It's a great plan - with that one potential drawback.   

Google Fi is almost there were iPhones - but not quite - "Google Fi is in beta for iPhone®. Bringing your iPhone® to Fi requires some extra setup, like changing a few of your Settings. We'll walk you through it step-by-step, and our support team is always available if you need help. Currently, iPhone® does not have network-switching technology, and 5G is not supported for iPhone®, but you'll still get great coverage"

Oh Well - I learned a lot about cell phones over the last week!

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I went to the local T Mobile store and the manager said 3 months max - only active duty military gets exceptions.    

That was that.

I called again on the phone and finally ended up with a manager - who said the same thing.

As you noted he went on to say if I am on a family plan and one line is active in the USA the other lines won't get flagged.  

Also, you get flagged if you use 50% more data overseas than when you were in the USA.  Some folks online have recommended that you run up a huge domestic download in December - so that will be enough to carry you over for four months of lower international usage.

Many people here have reported no issues on previous world cruises, but I don't want to rely on getting an exception to T-Mobile's now clearly established policy.  

I wonder if someone with years as a T-Mobile customer might get better treatment if their account gets flagged. Hard to say.  

In my case, I would be a new customer for less than 2 months - then leave for 4 months.  I don't want to have to deal with pesky text messages in the Canary Islands to save $450 or so.   

It's a great plan - with that one potential drawback.   

Google Fi is almost there were iPhones - but not quite - "Google Fi is in beta for iPhone®. Bringing your iPhone® to Fi requires some extra setup, like changing a few of your Settings. We'll walk you through it step-by-step, and our support team is always available if you need help. Currently, iPhone® does not have network-switching technology, and 5G is not supported for iPhone®, but you'll still get great coverage"

Oh Well - I learned a lot about cell phones over the last week!

I believe someone who was using Google Fi also ran into similar restriction issues to T-Mobile on this year’s Oceania world cruise.  They may have been an Android user.

• Thanks 1

On the Inaugural WC on Viking we had AT&T even with their extra charge Passport Plan.  We got almost no service all over the world.  Meanwhile a buddy onboard was going about his business, calling, texting, emailing.  Yep he had T-Mobile.  We switched to T-Mobile and on the next WC had almost continual coverage for 4+ months.  No extra charges, no warnings of impending doom, just good service.  Monthly bill stayed the same the entire time.  Have since used them in Mexico, Caribbean. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We had T-Mobile on our 2019 world cruise - 114 days.  The last 7 days were at sea.  Never had a problem.  Got coverage everywhere except French Polynesia.  Never heard anything from T-Mobile.  We weren't big users as was had unlimited on the ship.  Every country you get a text message "Welcome to _____".  So they knew where we were.

We had google fi for a couple of months while overseas this summer.  Put our normal ATT phones on suspend.  Bought a new android phone, got a new number for that phone through google. Fi.  When we got back home, we cancelled google fi and sold the new phone to friend.  It worked perfectly.  Planning to do that again for WC2024. 

Looked at T Mobile but google fi was a better option for us.  I cannot remember specifically why, but I remember that T Mobile would work better for us if we switched our phones from ATT to T Mobile.  We cannot do that because we also travel throughout the US in areas where T Mobile doesn’t have coverage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is that 3 month max per year?

On 10/5/2022 at 6:02 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Is that 3 months max per year?  What if I cruise for 3 months, back 'home' in Florida for a week and then out cruising for another 3 months?

On 11/20/2022 at 10:50 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I switched to T Mobile but I am keeping my current phones.   I will get $200 per line sign on bonus and no contract.    I will upgrade phones next year after I see how our 2023 World Cruise goes

how about 1 line for 3 month in your name and one line for 3 month in your husbands name activated after your phone completed the 3 month? Don't know whether that is possible, maybe someone else has to open it for the 2nd line or just use someone else (relative, best friends) to apply for the 2nd segment phone.

43 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Is that 3 month max per year?

Is that 3 months max per year?  What if I cruise for 3 months, back 'home' in Florida for a week and then out cruising for another 3 months?

It was 3 months in a row.    Back for a day at it reset apparently.    Very fuzzy rules and not sure they ever actually cut anyone off.   If it happens to me I will call and make my case.   They are trying to stop expats from getting a USA plan. 

4 minutes ago, BVILady said:

how about 1 line for 3 month in your name and one line for 3 month in your husbands name activated after your phone completed the 3 month? Don't know whether that is possible, maybe someone else has to open it for the 2nd line or just use someone else (relative, best friends) to apply for the 2nd segment phone.

I am not worried about it.  If it happens I will use my GlocalMe hotspot as I used to do anyway.  

I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile in October, just before my 50-day (four B2Bs) cruise in the Mediterranean and a transatlantic crossing.  I had only one week in the US before the departure.  T-Mobile worked great in all the countries...Spain, Malta, Israel, Turkey, Greece, Croatia, etc., etc.  I called T-Mobile Customer Service before departure to verify coverage, and they had service in every country.  No cost texts and data usage on the Magenta 55+ plan.  I loved getting the text when approaching a port, "T-Mobile welcomes you to _________".  Good luck in your evaluation as to what works best for you.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Viking Star for their 2022 World Cruise--121 days and we were able to use T-Mobile to call home to loved ones in every port we visited. And as an added bonus, I could text with our fam while on the ship through Viking's wifi without any charge, even when we were bobbing around in the middle of nowhere. 

It's excellent coverage! 

• Like 1

DW and I switched from AT&T to the T-Mobile Magenta Max Military plan.  We now pay the same for our phone service with international coverage as we were for AT&T without international coverage.

I know that the Military plan waives the consecutive US usage requirement.  You do not need to be active duty or retired military (as DW and I are).  Any veteran is eligible for the Magenta Max Military plan.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:50 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I switched to T Mobile but I am keeping my current phones.   I will get $200 per line sign on bonus and no contract.    I will upgrade phones next year after I see how our 2023 World Cruise goes

I am finishing a 128-world cruise using T-Mobile for the first time - No problems - excellent service - No issue with a 3 month limitation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am finishing a 128-world cruise using T-Mobile for the first time - No problems - excellent service - No issue with a 3 month limitation.

Thanks for the info!  I’ve enjoyed your blog about that cruise.