Return Of GRF Now That Masking Is Optional

11 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yes, folks, as masks come off I'm seeing more and more cases of GRF on board.  Grouchy Resting Face.  The serious cases won't even smile and return a greeting. 

So, I’m not sure if you are being a comedian or this affects you in some way?  How many of those grouchy old cantankerous folks that you mentioned are the reason you sail?  It’s like reading for the millionth time about wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night, who cares?  If that’s the way you were raised, or if that’s where life has taken you, so what?  When I’m cruising, I am in my happy place!  Nothing some other passenger does will affect me. Enjoy life, enjoy sailing, enjoy yourself!  Just my humble opinion. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, earltonharley said:

So, I’m not sure if you are being a comedian or this affects you in some way?  How many of those grouchy old cantankerous folks that you mentioned are the reason you sail?  It’s like reading for the millionth time about wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night, who cares?  If that’s the way you were raised, or if that’s where life has taken you, so what?  When I’m cruising, I am in my happy place!  Nothing some other passenger does will affect me. Enjoy life, enjoy sailing, enjoy yourself!  Just my humble opinion. 

Oh, I do enjoy myself on cruises and any ship at sea is a happy place.  I just find it interesting that I see so many people walking around with a frown on their face as if they are bound and determined not to have a good time.

"I love waking up in the morning not knowing where I'm gonna go or who I'm gonna meet. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge, and now here I am, on the grandest ship in the world, having champagne with you fine people." Jack in Titanic.

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Oh, I do enjoy myself on cruises and any ship at sea is a happy place.  I just find it interesting that I see so many people walking around with a frown on their face as if they are bound and determined not to have a good time.

"I love waking up in the morning not knowing where I'm gonna go or who I'm gonna meet. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge, and now here I am, on the grandest ship in the world, having champagne with you fine people." Jack in Titanic.

First, no one can smile 24/7.  Second, everyone's resting face is different.  You can be happy and not break your face constantly smiling, but you do you.

20 hours ago, BND said:

First, no one can smile 24/7.  Second, everyone's resting face is different.  You can be happy and not break your face constantly smiling, but you do you.

If I pass you in the hall, I will make eye contact, smile, and say hello or good morning or good evening. Lots of the folks I encounter with GRF won't even acknowledge or return a greeting.

23 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yes, folks, as masks come off I'm seeing more and more cases of GRF on board.  Grouchy Resting Face.  The serious cases won't even smile and return a greeting. 

You can't really blame people.  For three years we have been inundated with messages of fear of our fellow man.  Add to that the dehumanizing effects of wearing masks and it will take years for people to remember how to smile and make eye contact with others again.

• Like 2

I think people in general don't smile very often, not on purpose, but just because they're in their own world and not thinking about it. I smile a lot and have always gotten comments from strangers about it because I guess it makes me stand out. I don't even realize I'm doing it, but it seems to be a welcome difference to people (or so they tell me).

The downside is that I never get left alone. I think it makes me more approachable than I want to be, and I'm constantly "making friends" everywhere I go. I went into a store in a state I don't even live in, went back a week later and a worker there remembered me, purely because of my smile. 

Anyway, my point is just that I think most people's default is to have a neutral face, and some people's neutral tends to look unhappy or grouchy even if they aren't. And as we age, wrinkles pull our faces down into a natural frown and that doesn't help. But a lot of people who look unhappy and grumpy might not really be. But I also don't necessarily think everyone is as happy and smiley all the time as some of us are.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1