Anyone else concerned about the violence in Mexico?

john91498

We're looking at summer cruises next year to Mexico. A seven day on the Panorama to the Mexican Rivera.

We did this cruise a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. But this time around, the reports of the violence is scaring my wife. Especially Puerta Vallarta, one of the cruise stops, is supposedly the 3rd most dangerous city in Mexico.

Having second thoughts and might just do a week in Vegas...

• Like 1

Nope, not even in my top five, I'm much more worried about catching a cold, flu, covid, legionnaires or noro than I am violence is Mexico. Once you understand it, you'll realize that it doesn't concern you, you aren't the target, and that they don't want the backlash of harming tourists, especially cruise tourists, who will cause an international incident and bring a ton of scrutiny/bad coverage. They don't want that black eye and forcing the governments hand to respond because of pressure/embarrassment. Dead tourists isn't a good look. Stick to cruise line excursions if it makes you feel better but press on, plenty of dangerous places right here in America.     

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 11

I understand your hesitation.  I grew up hearing that "Mexico isn't safe" and my family never traveled there. On my Carnival cruises as an adult, I've been to Cozumel many times and the mainland a few times and always felt safe.   Recent news reports shake that confidence. 

With the August 2022 US State Dept advisory about exercising increased caution in Quintana Roo ("exercise increased caution due to crime and kidnapping"), I'd chose to stay on-board or not leave the secure port area.  There is no US State Dept advisory for Yucatan, however.

If you've never stayed on the ship during a port day(s), this could be your opportunity. 

Yes, I am.  I will not go to Mexico again.  If I were ever to book another cruise that stops there, I would stay on the ship.  But I don't book cruises that go there anymore.  Yes, there are other dangerous places, and other, more likely dangers to befall me.   But the risks of travel to Mexico far outweigh the possible benefits for me.  There are beautiful beaches, fabulous food, interesting culture, and historical sites all over the world.  I will spend my tourist dollars in the countries that do a better job of keeping me safe while visiting them.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

A fragment from U.S. State Dept travel advisory (link provided):

Country Summary: Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities.

U.S. citizens are advised to adhere to restrictions on U.S. government employee travel. State-specific restrictions are included in the individual state advisories below. U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including app-based services like Uber, and regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees should avoid traveling alone, especially in remote areas. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico, except daytime travel within Baja California and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D, and between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey on Highway 85D.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Mexico.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Mexico has a high level of COVID-19.  Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel. 

Do Not Travel To:

Reconsider Travel To:

From another site:

"January 2022, two tourists were killed in a shooting in Playa del Carmen, while a gay couple from Texas was found dismembered near Ciudad Juárez.

In November 2021, four American travelers were hurt in an attack in Cancun when gunmen opened fire on the beach. The month before, a California travel blogger and a German tourist were killed in a shooting in Tulum.

The U.S. State Department recently issued an updated Mexico travel warning about U.S. Tourists traveling to Mexico. 

Mexico currently has a level 2 travel warning on a scale of 1 to 4, meaning “increased caution.” And some parts of Mexico where drug cartel violence is at its worst have long been on a no-go list, with a level 4 no-go advisory.

“Violent crime—such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery—is widespread and common in Mexico,” warns the State Department."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wish more people thought like your wife or ShakyBeef so we wouldn't have 4 ships in port in Costa Maya and 8 ships in port in Cozumel when we go in December.

I would prefer 1-2 in Costa Maya and 4-5 in Cozumel.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I will spend my tourist dollars in the countries that do a better job of keeping me safe while visiting them.

The US isn't in the top 10 for safest countries to visit.

27 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

“Violent crime—such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery—is widespread and common in Mexico,” warns the State Department."

In the US it is mass shootings, terrorism, etc.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

And, as I said: 

"Yes, there are other dangerous places, and other, more likely dangers to befall me.   But the risks of travel to Mexico far outweigh the possible benefits for me."

I don't visit the more dangerous places in the U.S. as a tourist, either.  Your point is pointless.  But thanks for the crime report.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't forget to add mass corruption since people like to point that one out for Mexico but conveniently forget we have plenty right here in the good ol USA. I was literally just reading a story about a LAPD officer who was taken out by his own in an "accident" in fact. We tend to see ourselves through rose colored glasses because we're comfortable/familiar with our own problems. Tourists areas in Mexico are probably safer than many big metro areas here in the USA. If it were so bad, so many folks wouldn't be moving to Mexico from the USA. It's gotten so bad that some will soon be demanding to build a wall to keep the gringos out. 😁  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

And, as I said: 

"Yes, there are other dangerous places, and other, more likely dangers to befall me.   But the risks of travel to Mexico far outweigh the possible benefits for me."

I don't visit the more dangerous places in the U.S. as a tourist, either.  Your point is pointless.  But thanks for the crime report.

Yet you judge Mexico as a whole based on limited violence in a few places. Gotcha.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

And, as I said: 

Do you visit Baltimore?

As a transplanted Baltimoron, I'm curious.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Do you visit Baltimore?

As a transplanted Baltimoron, I'm curious.

I, too, am a (sorta) transplanted "Baltimoron" (I like that term🤣).  I am originally from Laurel, right-smack-between Baltimore and D.C.  Yes, I visit Baltimore.  When I have to.  For hospital visits, etc.  I think I know where you're going with this question - Baltimore's disgustingly high crime rate, of which I am quite aware.  I do not do the tourist thing in Charm City.  Been there, done it all, many times.  I cruise out of Baltimore.  But I don't hang around in the city, or spend my tourist dollars there.

20 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

I live in New Orleans. I think I'll be okay when I visit Cozumel in 22 days.

Yeah, here is California we have a serial killer on the lose, kids/coaches getting shot/killed at schools, kids getting robbed/shot after school, shootings/murders/robberies nearly every weekend, an entire family was just kidnapped, multiple domestic murders, some poor lady even got decapitated in the middle of the street recently etc. I'll be safer vacationing in Mexico 😂.  

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yeah, here is California we have a serial killer on the lose, kids/coaches getting shot/killed at schools, kids getting robbed/shot after school, shootings/murders/robberies nearly every weekend, an entire family was just kidnapped, multiple domestic murders, some poor lady even got decapitated in the middle of the street recently etc. I'll be safer vacationing in Mexico 😂.  

And yet there are those who seem 'surprised'.

Edited by bucfan2

I think I would definitely stay on the ship in this port.

448 People Killed in the city THIS YEAR, just through August,with one third of the year to go.

Sixty-six people were killed across the city in August, which brings the total number of homicides in 2022 up to 448 year to date.

34 shot, 5 fatally in weekend violence across city just this last weekend!

Luckily, Carnival doesn’t cruise to .   .    .     .   .    .   

.   .   .   .

.     .    .   .

.   .    .    .   .

.   .    .    .    .    .   CHICAGO!

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

58 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I, too, am a (sorta) transplanted "Baltimoron" (I like that term🤣).  I am originally from Laurel, right-smack-between Baltimore and D.C.  Yes, I visit Baltimore.  When I have to.  For hospital visits, etc.  I think I know where you're going with this question - Baltimore's disgustingly high crime rate, of which I am quite aware.  I do not do the tourist thing in Charm City.  Been there, done it all, many times.  I cruise out of Baltimore.  But I don't hang around in the city, or spend my tourist dollars there.

You have completely missed the point of the Baltimore comparison. In 2021, Cancun had as many murders as Baltimore. Throwing out travel advisories while "I avoid the bad parts of Baltimore and don't vacation there" is some sort of special, different, circumstance. 

The point remains that crime is all over. If you aren't messing around with drugs or dangerous neighborhoods, you'll likely be just fine. A resort strip near the beach is generally a safe spot. There is also much context to "scary place bad" or "American dead" that we don't get. While we should still exercise caution, it is worth looking objectively vs fear.

I did the Panorama cruise last year. I would absolutely do it again.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

.  We cannot choose from where we come, but we certainly can choose where we go for vacation.  I will not go to Mexico, or, for that matter, Jamaica, for the same reasons.

If the location of a vacation is going to stress you out, then clearly it won't be much of a vacation.

• Like 7