Do I have to buy a drinks package.

AKGOFF

Hi,

As per title please, do I have to buy a drinks package or can I just buy drinks as and when we would like one?

We are sailing on RC Harmony in April 23 if that makes a difference.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I’m pretty thick when it comes to forums and have no idea how to look for it!!

Thankyou

Adam

8 minutes ago, AKGOFF said:

Thank you.

We’re not heavy drinkers but I’m really not sure what the cost of drinks will be.

How much for example would a large house red or a pint of beer be?

On Cunard, for example, a pint of beer would cost $6.50.  A drinks package would cost $69 per day (you cannot buy it for just one day) - so if your daily average was less than 10, you might prefer to forget the package.

52 minutes ago, AKGOFF said:

Thank you.

We’re not heavy drinkers but I’m really not sure what the cost of drinks will be.

How much for example would a large house red or a pint of beer be?

Since you are asking about a specific cruise line (RCL) you should ask on that forum.   Here is the link for you....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AKGOFF said:

Thank you, I told you I was a bit of a div when it comes to forums!

We were all forum beginners at some point!  Just keep asking, don't be shy.

We have never bought a beverage package, as we are not big drinkers at all.  The decision comes down to the number of drinks a day you might want. Maybe some others can share figures on this.

Will this be your first RC cruise?  Are you a member of Crown & Anchor?  If you eventually do lots of RC cruises, someday you will qualify for several free drinks a day.

Hi, Adam,

Except where a drinks package is included in the cruise price you have the choice of buying a package or individually as you go.

Sorry, I'm way out-of-date on RCI's drinks prices - ask on the RCI forum linked by Cole. And bear in mind that there's a service charge (?15% ? on RCI?).

BTW as you've probably already learned, ships are cashless - they set you up with an on-board account when you register at the cruise terminal, and you sign for all purchases. That's everything you buy on-board, including any ship's excursions, speciality dining, purchases from ship's shop etc. You'll get a copy each time and a statement on the last full day (check for any rare mistakes), and It all gets charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise.

NB For those who have a non-US credit card - like most cruise lines,  in the last few days of your cruise RCI will probably offer to charge your credit card for your on-board account in your own currency "for your convenience" 🙄. DECLINE that kind offer - always leave the charge in ship's currency  (US$ on RCI) because your card issuer will give you a far better exchange rate than any cruise line.

Figure how many drinks you expect to buy each day (and probably add at least 25% - cruising is thirsty work 😏), but bear in mind that you'll drink a lot less on port days, then do the maths to decide if its worthwhile.

BTW, even on expensive packages (no, make the especially on expensive packages), folk do seem to make sure that they get their money's-worth 😀

RCI's a good cruise line, and all first cruises are great.

Have a good one

JB 🙂

at the present time the RCL cruise I have booked for next moth has the drink pac at $75 (plus qratuity) a day per person

even at 4 drinks a day that's STEEP ... you must buy for all in your group/room

on the other hand a different cruise I have booked offers a 'drink pak' for $20 a day 😁

So, in round numbers if a mixed drink is about $17 on average (including the mandatory 18% grant) and the drink package is $70 per day, one would want to have 5 drinks each day to justify the package.  I imagine beer and wine is less, so those choices would require more imbibing to break even.  

I'm kind of pulling these numbers off the top of my head.  Does this sound right?   

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

So, in round numbers if a mixed drink is about $17 on average (including the mandatory 18% grant) and the drink package is $70 per day, one would want to have 5 drinks each day to justify the package.  I imagine beer and wine is less, so those choices would require more imbibing to break even.  

I'm kind of pulling these numbers off the top of my head.  Does this sound right?   

Close —- as far as I can figure the drinks package on Royal Caribbean for example will be about $70 per day (plus 18%) - but only covers basic drinks - which usually run $13 each - anything with premium liquor will be surcharged. Beers/wines usually about $7.50.  So 5 or 6 drinks per day should be about break even.  Of course, if you have a lot of good ports, you will be playing catch up in the evenings.

I’m usually more than OK with no more than  2 or 3 per day average, plus 2 or 3 beers/wines, (less on long port days) so I prefer to pay by the drink.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Close —- as far as I can figure the drinks package on Royal Caribbean for example will be about $70 per day (plus 18%) - but only covers basic drinks - which usually run $13 each - anything with premium liquor will be surcharged. Beers/wines usually about $7.50.  So 5 or 6 drinks per day should be about break even.  Of course, if you have a lot of good ports, you will be playing catch up in the evenings.

I’m usually more than OK with no more than  2 or 3 per day average, plus 2 or 3 beers/wines, (less on long port days) so I prefer to pay by the drink.

Aw, that is why some folk don't like those port intensive cruises!  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, that is why some folk don't like those port intensive cruises!   ..

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, that is why some folk don't like those port intensive cruises!  

Someone who regularly has five or more drinks per day (or regularly more than 14 per week) is generally recognized as a problem drinker. If they only hit that level on an occasional cruise, it probably is not a serious problem.   But then, if they do not usually have more than one or two drinks per day when at home and they step it up to six or so every day on a cruise, they are likely to be buzzed most of their time on board.    Either way - drinking enough to make the package make

economic sense strikes me as a stupid way to cruise..

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Someone who regularly has five or more drinks per day (or regularly more than 14 per week) is generally recognized as a problem drinker. If they only hit that level on an occasional cruise, it probably is not a serious problem.   But then, if they do not usually have more than one or two drinks per day when at home and they step it up to six or so every day on a cruise, they are likely to be buzzed most of their time on board.    Either way - drinking enough to make the package make

economic sense strikes me as a stupid way to cruise..

That kind of had occurred to me, but I don't drink much alcohol so thought it better to keep my peace. 

Way back when, I figured I would need to drink at least 3 sodas per day to break even on the cost of a soda package.  So, I didn't buy it.   

On our cruise next month Mrs Ldubs and I will receive 4 drinks each per day on-the-house.   I imagine we will hand most of them out to our family traveling companions.   

It is important to understand that there are different reasons for buying a drinks package.

If you are a very heavy drinker, it may sometimes actually be a good deal - financially.

More often it is a form of convenience, to avoid the perceived nickel and diming, check signing, etc.

In the “good old days” of cruising, you had to pay for everything up front, whether or not you actually wanted or used it. This made cruising a bit more expensive and out of reach of the masses.

Then the public demanded that the cruise lines only charge them for what they wanted. The cruise lines obliged, but then were accused of nickel and diming. 

Now the cruise lines are offering a hybrid solution. You can pre-pay for certain packages that include some/all of the things you want onboard.

These are rarely bargains, but allow you to avoid paying for other things that you do not want to pay for.

17 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

It is important to understand that there are different reasons for buying a drinks package.

If you are a very heavy drinker, it may sometimes actually be a good deal - financially.

More often it is a form of convenience, to avoid the perceived nickel and diming, check signing, etc.

In the “good old days” of cruising, you had to pay for everything up front, whether or not you actually wanted or used it. This made cruising a bit more expensive and out of reach of the masses.

Then the public demanded that the cruise lines only charge them for what they wanted. The cruise lines obliged, but then were accused of nickel and diming. 

Now the cruise lines are offering a hybrid solution. You can pre-pay for certain packages that include some/all of the things you want onboard.

These are rarely bargains, but allow you to avoid paying for other things that you do not want to pay for.

So, about that "convenience" thing.  if I have a drink package don' t I still need to present my card?  Seems like a pretty big stretch as a excuse to pay more than I have to for drink(s).    And, last two cruises, I haven't had to sign anything.  

Edited by ldubs

1 minute ago, MWarren3549 said:

Wow ... Everyone is only discussing liquor/beer/wine.  Think about coffee drinks, sodas, bottled water, etc.  ALL of the drinks you have in a day.  NOT just downing/chugging liquor.  

Don't buy water on board.   I do occasionally purchase a soda, but less than one per day.   Coffee depends on how bad the free stuff is.  For me I just can't justify the package. Gosh, I hope I'm not as boring as I sound.  Haha.   

6 minutes ago, MWarren3549 said:

Wow ... Everyone is only discussing liquor/beer/wine.  Think about coffee drinks, sodas, bottled water, etc.  ALL of the drinks you have in a day.  NOT just downing/chugging liquor.  

The ship's tap water is as pure as you could ask - most people who buy bottled water are kidding themselves healthwise and tastewise, while adding to the waste of petroleum and contributing to the world wide pollution problem.  There is always plain tea and coffee available at no charge.  If you are addicted to sodas - do the math and buy the package if it makes sense.

The success of Starbucks et al is an amazing demonstration of the fact that too many Americans have more dollars than sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The ship's tap water is as pure as you could ask - most people who buy bottled water are kidding themselves healthwise and tastewise, while adding to the waste of petroleum and contributing to the world wide pollution problem.  There is always plain tea and coffee available at no charge.  If you are addicted to sodas - do the math and buy the package if it makes sense.

The success of Starbucks et al is an amazing demonstration of the fact that too many Americans have more dollars than sense. 

I was with you up to the last paragraph.  Not sure I follow the fault finding.  I don't have a fancy machine to make expressos, Americanos or Lattes.  If going to a  coffee vendor means I lack sense, what am I supposed to do if I want a fancy coffee drink?  

On 10/15/2022 at 12:41 AM, ldubs said:

So, about that "convenience" thing.  if I have a drink package don' t I still need to present my card?  Seems like a pretty big stretch as a excuse to pay more than I have to for drink(s).    And, last two cruises, I haven't had to sign anything.  

If you are a mass market passenger, it is hit or miss if t you need to present your card to show you have the package.

The better, smaller, pricier ships all know your name / cabin number / package status and do not require you to show anything.

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Don't buy water on board.   I do occasionally purchase a soda, but less than one per day.   Coffee depends on how bad the free stuff is.  For me I just can't justify the package. Gosh, I hope I'm not as boring as I sound.  Haha.   

The only disadvantage of ship's water is that because it's stored in tanks rather than from underground pipes or springs it's not particularly cold. No problem in public areas - plenty of ice machines. In your cabin put some in the fridge or ask your steward for a bucket of ice.

Coffee from the public urns is hit-and-miss, usually miss 🤮.  If you want to know how bad it can be try it at about 3 am 🤣🤣🤣. Sometimes decaf is DIY sachets, sometimes we bring our own jar of instant, usually we switch to tea, very rarely do we pay extra for a good cup. 

JB 🙂

8 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

If you are a mass market passenger, it is hit or miss if t you need to present your card to show you have the package.

The better, smaller, pricier ships all know your name / cabin number / package status and do not require you to show anything.

I believe that.  And actually, on our last cruise I showed nothing to make onboard purchases.  They see my ID just from my being in proximity.  I don't know the name of the technology other than that "thingy" they gave me.  lol.