Hotel in Valpariso or Santiago

highplanesdrifters

33 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I hear ya on the double check and connection time.  We're flying in to DFW the night before our flight to SJO just to be safe. Plus we don't have to get up at 3am to catch a flight. 😉

For pure convenience, the Grand Hyatt is physically attached to Terminal D.  The other hotel within the airport terminal area is the Hyatt Regency, which is next to, but detached from, Terminal C.

2 hours ago, caradara said:

We leave Nov. 11 and SS ticketed us on AA Sept. 16 (actual ticket numbers).

@caradara Thanks! So that's 57 days before departure. We're at 60 days out before our cruise, so hopefully we'll see ticket numbers issued within the next week.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Please remember that even after you are ticketed, you may still have schedule changes.  The difference is that these would be carrier initiated changes, not ones done by the cruiseline.  So please don't go into "everything is locked in stone" mode - things can, and do, change after ticketing.

@FlyerTalker Of course, schedule changes are always possible. But as noted in that American Airlines video you previously linked to, the significant changes occur when the "placeholder" schedule gets locked into a "published" schedule about 90 days out. Our schedule changes took place at that point; when we get ticketed now, less than 60 days out, schedule changes are still possible but much less likely.

Another thing everyone should note: don't rely on what you see in My Silversea to know if you have any schedule changes! My Silversea is still showing the original flight numbers and times for our four flights on American; I only found everything had changed when I logged into my American account today and saw the current schedule. I have no idea when (or if) My Silversea will catch up to the revised flight information.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

For pure convenience, the Grand Hyatt is physically attached to Terminal D.  The other hotel within the airport terminal area is the Hyatt Regency, which is next to, but detached from, Terminal C.

Greag minds! Love the Grand Hyatt. Steps to AA checkin and the restaurant is pretty good.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency when Grand was booked and it was pretty good. But as you said, not nearly as convenient. 

On 10/17/2022 at 5:21 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

@kimanjolooks perfect for our post cruse chill. Did you eat at any of their restaurants? Still no word from SS on the post cruise hotel.  We leave in a week.  🤣

We did not dine at the hotel at all.  We are big walkers, miles and miles, so we would just pop into a restaurant that looked good.  We did, however, search to no avail for a restaurant we ate at Nov 2021, that had the best chocolate cake we've EVER had, by a long shot.  Never found it.

If I were a guessing, it would be the MO, but throwing the Ritz or Singular in wouldn't surprise me.  Can't go wrong at any of them.  We just really enjoyed the MO pool area for relaxation.

Edited by kimanjo

2 hours ago, kimanjo said:

We did not dine at the hotel at all.  We are big walkers, miles and miles, so we would just pop into a restaurant that looked good.  We did, however, search to no avail for a restaurant we ate at Nov 2021, that had the best chocolate cake we've EVER had, by a long shot.  Never found it.

If I were a guessing, it would be the MO, but throwing the Ritz or Singular in wouldn't surprise me.  Can't go wrong at any of them.  We just really enjoyed the MO pool area for relaxation.

I'd walk miles for Chocolate Cake.😃

To close the loop on one of the topics earlier in this thread, we were just ticketed for our American flights today, October 20, for flights on December 15 — 56 days before departure, 58 before sailing.  That's consistent with what @caradara reported.

Now that we finally have confirmed flights, I can focus on what to do in our two days in Santiago. Any recommendations for things to see, tours to take, or restaurants to dine in would be appreciated.

----

Chocolate cake: we did a hike a few years ago at Lake Louise in Banff National Park. The hike we picked, to the tea house/chalet was a bit longer and steeper than what we normally do. My wife got tired, but she was determined to make it. The payoff for reaching the tea house was a very basic lunch (all the supplies are flown in only once a year) capped with their high-altitude chocolate cake. Each time she wondered whether she could make it to the top, I called out "chocolate cake!" It kept her going. 😉 We made it, and the cake was quite good (although hardly the best in the world). Ever since, we have faced any challenge on a journey with a cry of "chocolate cake!" as encouragement to make it to the end. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Any recommendations for things to see, tours to take, or restaurants to dine in would be appreciated.

The Museum of Memory and Human Rights is fascinating if you’d like to understand the human rights violations committed during the military dictatorship led by Augusto Pinochet aided by America’s involvement.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Any recommendations for things to see, tours to take, or restaurants to dine in would be appreciated.

Last time we were there we took the Hop on Bus and went to the Archeological Museum. Both good. We stayed at the Westin in El Golf.  Like @kimanjowalked a lot and popped into places that looked good. Mostly along Isidora Goyenechea road.  Never had a bad meal.  Pizzeria Tiramisu was casual and very tasty.  Le Due Torri Isidora very yummy and excellent Gin & Tonic.

This trip we'll be in a different part of town at the MO.  Would love any recommendations for that area.  We are there on Nov. 18. If we find anything good, I'll post. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Thanks for the recommendations. (Keep 'em coming.)

@highplanesdrifters I think we'll be at the MO, but of course SS is not sharing info on the hotel until close to the time of departure, so it's hard to plan. Since you'll be there a month before us, I'd appreciate any tips you have after your visit!

The MO is a really nice hotel but be aware that they took almost all of the tubs out of the rooms when remodeling it from the GH. If you can get a room with club access, the food there was excellent. It's also worth joining the MO Fan group.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Thanks for the recommendations. (Keep 'em coming.)

@highplanesdrifters I think we'll be at the MO, but of course SS is not sharing info on the hotel until close to the time of departure, so it's hard to plan. Since you'll be there a month before us, I'd appreciate any tips you have after your visit!

Will do!   I may do a live, but not sure. Did them for our trips in June and August.  Lots of work!

Also just arranged Blacklane transfer from ship to MO for $300 for 4 people. Anything to avoid the SS bus.

@Silver Spectre Thanks for the tip. I love when a place has a Club .  I'll just use the pool instead of the bathtub. 😁

• Like 1

I just got confirmation that we will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental on the night before our November 27th Silver Cloud Antartica cruise.

It still doesn't show which hotel we will be at for the night in Santiago at the end of our cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

I just got confirmation that we will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental on the night before our November 27th Silver Cloud Antartica cruise.

Thanks for that information. Our cruise is about two weeks behind yours, so maybe they'll let us know one of these days. 😉 

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

It still doesn't show which hotel we will be at for the night in Santiago at the end of our cruise.

You have a night in Santiago at the end of your cruise? Did you add this on? Ours ends with the charter flight to Santiago in the morning, and our flight home late at night; unknown what they will do with us for the 8-9 hours in between! But there's no overnight. 

13 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

If you can get a room with club access, the food there was excellent.

Is this is you're booking your room independently? We're there for two nights prior to the cruise through SS Air, so I'm guessing we'll get a standard room. I doubt there's a way to pay an additional fee to get a Club room, right?

13 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It's also worth joining the MO Fan group.

What does that get you? 

9 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Also just arranged Blacklane transfer from ship to MO for $300 for 4 people. Anything to avoid the SS bus.

Are you staying overnight at the MO after your cruise? We're flying home that night, and I have no info about what they will do with us between the charter flight and getting us back to the airport at night for our flight home. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Thanks for that information. Our cruise is about two weeks behind yours, so maybe they'll let us know one of these days. 😉 

You have a night in Santiago at the end of your cruise? Did you add this on? Ours ends with the charter flight to Santiago in the morning, and our flight home late at night; unknown what they will do with us for the 8-9 hours in between! But there's no overnight. 

Is this is you're booking your room independently? We're there for two nights prior to the cruise through SS Air, so I'm guessing we'll get a standard room. I doubt there's a way to pay an additional fee to get a Club room, right?

What does that get you? 

Are you staying overnight at the MO after your cruise? We're flying home that night, and I have no info about what they will do with us between the charter flight and getting us back to the airport at night for our flight home. 

Yes you can pay to upgrade to the club, but you are supposed to get it from the MO FAN base, go try!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Yes you can pay to upgrade to the club, but you are supposed to get it from the MO FAN base, go try

Will do; thanks. (Of course, this depends if we're actually at the MO, which we still don't know!)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiseej said:

We have booked our own air, and I got a call from LATAM to say they had changed the time of our flight from an evening one to a late afternoon one. I called SS to see if the earlier flight would be OK, and they said that we were actually staying overnight in Santiago the last night of the cruise. This was the first I had heard of it, and sure enough on the MySilversea page there is the notification for the Simply hotel for that night. I just checked, and it still doesn't say which hotel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, safarigal said:

they said that we were actually staying overnight in Santiago the last night of the cruise.

Hmm, that's so interesting. I would think they have the post-cruise charter flight back to Santiago at the same time at the end of each cruise, so why would they add an overnight for your cruise but not for others, I wonder? So were you able to change your LATAM flight to the following day without trouble?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Hmm, that's so interesting. I would think they have the post-cruise charter flight back to Santiago at the same time at the end of each cruise, so why would they add an overnight for your cruise but not for others, I wonder? So were you able to change your LATAM flight to the following day without trouble?

I know it's weird. I still can't work out why we get the extra day in Santiago!

This was the 6th time LATAM had changed our flights, and I was getting anxious that with all of the changes, we could end up missing the charter flight, so I cancelled with a full refund (which we haven't seen yet) and switched to American Airlines. Of course, there's no guarantee that AA will be any better 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:29 PM, cruiseej said:

Are you staying overnight at the MO after your cruise? We're flying home that night, and I have no info about what they will do with us between the charter flight and getting us back to the airport at night for our flight home

Our cruise ends in Valparaiso. We've booked 3 nights at the MO. Turns out air was $1,200 cheaper to leave a day later, so no brainer .  

I've read some unpleasant stories about that dead time between the charter and flight home.  My guess is that they will throw you on a bus and drive you around.  Looks like there is a Holiday Inn at the airport. Maybe you can book a day room to relax and avoid the chaos. Keep us posted.

20 hours ago, safarigal said:

I cancelled with a full refund (which we haven't seen yet) and switched to American Airlines. Of course, there's no guarantee that AA will be any better 🙂

If it's any consolation, American just did their major schedule adjustments for December, so I think it's unlikely the intercontinental flights will change at this point. 😉  (Of course, any issue from bad weather  to staffing shortages to equipment problems can conspire to mess up carefully arranged travel plans at the very last minute!)

I still don't understand why your trip is overnighting in Santiago post-cruise. If I understand correctly, if you hadn't called SS to find out if the LATAM flight would work for you, you wouldn't even know that you had an extra day added, right? While I'm happy with have our business class air booked and now ticketed through SS, how would we even know if they decided to add an extra night at the end? 

5 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I've read some unpleasant stories about that dead time between the charter and flight home.  My guess is that they will throw you on a bus and drive you around.  Looks like there is a Holiday Inn at the airport. Maybe you can book a day room to relax and avoid the chaos.

It's an interesting idea. I think I'd probably prefer a bus trip and a meal somewhere to sitting in an airport Holiday Inn for 10 hours, even though we'd be with the herd from our cruise. Of course, it would be nice if Silversea just told us what the plans were for the day, so we could decide if we wanted to make alternate plans — but that seems to be asking too much of SS these days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If it's any consolation, American just did their major schedule adjustments for December, so I think it's unlikely the intercontinental flights will change at this point. 😉  (Of course, any issue from bad weather  to staffing shortages to equipment problems can conspire to mess up carefully arranged travel plans at the very last minute!)

I still don't understand why your trip is overnighting in Santiago post-cruise. If I understand correctly, if you hadn't called SS to find out if the LATAM flight would work for you, you wouldn't even know that you had an extra day added, right? While I'm happy with have our business class air booked and now ticketed through SS, how would we even know if they decided to add an extra night at the end? 

Yes, hopefully American will stick with their schedule!

If I hadn't called SS about LATAM changing our flight, I would not have known about the extra night. It is also now showing up in our MySilversea page. I agree, this is most strange. I sincerely hope that just as the extra night appeared spontaneously it doesn't just suddenly disappear again! I will keep you posted 🙂