Mobility scooter on board "parking"

katstoy

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Unfortunately she is overweight, around 240?  Some of the smaller sizes I read that could fit seemed to have a weight of 200.  Both her and my father don't have the greatest mobility so them trying to maneuver a scooter around an inside cabin will probably be on the tougher side.  She just may not get to wander around as much as she might like, but we will see how it goes.

Scootaround's "transportable" scooters hold up to 325 pounds and their "standard" scooters hold up to 400.  They both will fit into a standard stateroom.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

Interesting thread, guess it lets me know we just have no ability to get my mother a scooter for an upcoming cruise.  Our sailing is sold out and they have just an inside cabin, no way a scooter will fit in there.  Her feet and knees have just gotten a lot worse since we booked and we were hoping that a scooter could just help her get around a bit more, otherwise she just can't do much walking.  Just getting to and from the restaurants will be quite the chore for her.  Hopefully the little fold up walker she has will be enough of a help.  

Contact Carnival and ask what she needs to provide to prove a medical need for an accessible stateroom.  If she can provide the proof, Carnival will check to see if everyone who booked an assessible interior and has provided the same documentation.  If someone has not, Carnival will move that person to another stateroom, usually an upgrade and reassign the accessible stateroom to your mom.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, Buffalofirsttimer4 said:

No need to assume, scooter in our cabin was pre-covid (my signature does show all sailings 🙃) and Celebration will be in April 2023 which as I stated would have pick up in the terminal. Happy Sailing!

Most of us remove the signatures 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 4:37 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

Interesting thread, guess it lets me know we just have no ability to get my mother a scooter for an upcoming cruise.  Our sailing is sold out and they have just an inside cabin, no way a scooter will fit in there.  Her feet and knees have just gotten a lot worse since we booked and we were hoping that a scooter could just help her get around a bit more, otherwise she just can't do much walking.  Just getting to and from the restaurants will be quite the chore for her.  Hopefully the little fold up walker she has will be enough of a help.  

Get her a rollator.  They can be bought for under 100.00 and you own it.  The airlines do not charge you for transportation if you're flying to the port. This way she can be pushed all around the ship and the rollator is easier to maneuver than an wheelchair.  The only difference is that a wheelchair can be self propelled whereas a rollator needs to be pushed.

16 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Get her a rollator.  They can be bought for under 100.00 and you own it.  The airlines do not charge you for transportation if you're flying to the port. This way she can be pushed all around the ship and the rollator is easier to maneuver than an wheelchair.  The only difference is that a wheelchair can be self propelled whereas a rollator needs to be pushed.

A rollator is a walker with wheels.  A transport wheelchair is a wheelchair that cannot be self-propelled.  There are some combo rollator/transport chairs (see image below).  That is probably what you are thinking of.  They are normally more than $100, but I saw some on Amazon for less than $200.71drUhi14sL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Schoifmom

41 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

A rollator is a walker with wheels.  A transport wheelchair is a wheelchair that cannot be self-propelled.  There are some combo rollator/transport chairs (see image below).  That is probably what you are thinking of.  They are normally more than $100, but I saw some on Amazon for less than $200.71drUhi14sL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You're correct, I was thinking transport chair, not rollator.  But, I was correct about the price.  Just did a quick Google search and 4 different options came up for around 50 bucks for a basic black transport chair probably from Drive.

The light blue one you have pictured would be a Cadillac compared to the Ford Fiesta version from Drive.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:52 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

You're correct, I was thinking transport chair, not rollator.  But, I was correct about the price.  Just did a quick Google search and 4 different options came up for around 50 bucks for a basic black transport chair probably from Drive.

The light blue one you have pictured would be a Cadillac compared to the Ford Fiesta version from Drive.

Yeah.  The one I have pictured is a convertible rollator/transport chair, not just a transport chair.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:30 AM, BonnieH said:

So I am getting conflicting information from Carnival and Scootaround. BF is eligible for a scooter from the VA that is too wide to fit through the doors of our cabin for our October cruise. 

When I called Carnival this morning, I was told we cannot leave the scooter outside our cabin. However, the woman I spoke with today from Scootaround said that Carnival will allow you to park the scooter outside your room (remove battery so it can't be moved).  On previous cruises, I have seen scooters in the hallways. Which is it? 

Please do not share Carnival's policy, I already read it and I spoke with a representative today. Also, please don't tell me to get a handicap accessible room. We don't need all the other amenities that come with an HA room and we don't want an aft cabin. We selected our specific cabin for specific reasons prior to the need of a scooter.  

I did not read the entire thread, so I might be repeating the replies that you have already received. The rules that you should be following are the ones from the specific cruise line you are sailing.  Period.  Just because you may not like those rules, doesn’t mean that you should be searching for different answers.  You risk getting removed from the ship for jeopardizing the safety of ALL of the other passengers and the crew.

We went through the whole scooter situation last summer with my elderly mother.  It was on RCCL, so I am very familiar with their rules.  Check to see if Carnival has a Special Needs department, and they can assist you with the correct guidelines you need to follow, including completing the necessary registration for any special needs equipment, which includes the scooter.  They should know the dimensions of all of their doorways.  In theory, the cruise line should, automatically, move you into a handicapped cabin, whether you want to be in one or not.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 2:14 PM, Schoifmom said:

Scootaround's "transportable" scooters hold up to 325 pounds and their "standard" scooters hold up to 400.  They both will fit into a standard stateroom.

Scootaround’s standard will not fit through the door on the Mardi Gras. You need an accessible cabin. I JUST spoke to accessibility about this today. Doors are 22”,the scooter is 22.5”.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:38 AM, BonnieH said:

Having seen scooters in the hallway multiple times, I highly doubt "the company that makes and enforces the rules" is actually doing anything about them.

Trust me they are. I was witness to one such argument between a guest being asked to move his scooter and ship staff. He was NOT happy about being to,d he couldn’t leave it in the hall and all of us within that area of the hallway heard ALL about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheer25mom said:

Trust me they are. I was witness to one such argument between a guest being asked to move his scooter and ship staff. He was NOT happy about being to,d he couldn’t leave it in the hall and all of us within that area of the hallway heard ALL about it. 

That encounter is exactly why Carnival usually lets things slide, to the detriment of other guests onboard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

It's a YMMV situation.  Spent 28 nights on the Mardi Gras in 2022 and 5 on the Celebration in 2023 and experienced multiple times on each of our sailings scooters illegally parked in the hallway.  Carnival doesn't like to ruffle feathers so the scooters stayed as a fire hazard each evening and made it difficult for others in a scooter to squeeze by.

19 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

Scootaround’s standard will not fit through the door on the Mardi Gras. You need an accessible cabin. I JUST spoke to accessibility about this today. Doors are 22”,the scooter is 22.5”.

We've done it before, admittedly not on the Mardi Gras.  The transportable scooter width is 21", per the Scootaround website.  We always remove the armrests.  It's a tight fit, but DH is an experienced user and always gets it through the doorway without issue.

Since OP was concerned about the user's weight at ~240, they would have no issue with the transportable scooter.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's a YMMV situation.  Spent 28 nights on the Mardi Gras in 2022 and 5 on the Celebration in 2023 and experienced multiple times on each of our sailings scooters illegally parked in the hallway.  Carnival doesn't like to ruffle feathers so the scooters stayed as a fire hazard each evening and made it difficult for others in a scooter to squeeze by.

A call to Guest Services and a follow up photo to JH works wonders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

We've done it before, admittedly not on the Mardi Gras.  The transportable scooter width is 21", per the Scootaround website.  We always remove the armrests.  It's a tight fit, but DH is an experienced user and always gets it through the doorway without issue.

Since OP was concerned about the user's weight at ~240, they would have no issue with the transportable scooter.

YEs, the transportable will fit, the standard will not. The person I quoted said both will fit. At least on the Mardi Gras, that's not the case.