One Day in Rome - Ideas?

billylen

Will be staying at airport hotel for a day and a half before my cruise. (Staying at airport hotel) Any ideas about tours or activities that begin and end at the airport would be appreciated. My first time in Rome...hope to see a little of it while I am there. Any suggestion are welcomed. (will be there November 3rd to 5th)

My first thought is to stay in Rome instead of the airport hotel,   If you have not prepaid for that hotel, please consider a hotel in Rome.  You will be able to enjoy the city in the evening and have extra time for sightseeing during the day and a half.  There is nothing more dismal than an airport hotel in the evenings.  There are many posts on this board on the subject.  Look at the Rome hotel thread for ideas.

Here are a couple:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2882786-late-nite-arrival-to-fco-for-ncl-cruise-next-day/page/2/#comment-64054438

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Wonderful suggestions, unfortunately for a few reasons I have to remain at the airport. But the train...hmmmm thank you again for the suggestions (and the links)

My thought for you would be to get up early, get into the city and get to The Vatican Museum. Maybe hire a guide that gives you early access-7:30 a.m. maybe but i can't recall. See the Raphael Rooms, the Sistine, and The Basilica itself. The museums of the Vatican are wonderful but take a great deal of time. You might need to skip them this go.  Next I would grab some lunch and then head to Pantheon. It is a marvel. You would likely have time to see the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps while in the area. Grab an espresso and pastry. Head to the Colosseum. You can walk back to Piazza Venezia and at least get a partial view of the Roman Forum on your stroll. At the P.V. you can make your transportation connection back to your hotel. Did i suggest a gelato as a reward for all the walking?  

• Like 1

I totally agree about changing hotels is you can.  Take the Leonardo express into the city.  Taxis will cost 60.00 EUR each way - we just paid that.  

I’d recommend some hotels we’ve stayed - Hotel Oceania, Hotel Sonya, Argentina Delle Torre.  The later 2 are closer to the big sites.  All 3 were great.  I’ve used Rick Steve’s Italy book fir walking tours & he has great maps.  For the Vatican - definitely book a tour. I’ve used Through Eternity tours & they’re fabulous.    

You can’t see all of Rome in a day & 1/2, so try to choose your most desired spots.  Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain & Pantheon are close in proximity.  The Roman Forum & Collisiem are close.  

Enjoy. 

22 hours ago, billylen said:

Wonderful suggestions, unfortunately for a few reasons I have to remain at the airport. But the train...hmmmm thank you again for the suggestions (and the links)

You can add an excursion to your transfer to the port, whether from FCO or Rome.

For example, from Rome Cabs.

https://www.romecabs.com/pre-cruise-tours-civitavecchia/

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The other option, besides the obvious...stay in Rome, is to arrange a private tour from a recommended tour company like Rome in Limo. They will take care of everything...you get to see the sites. 

How are you getting to the port?

This is what I was thinking.  Here is a link to some of our pictures from a one day tour with Rome in Limo

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, mskaufman said:

With the link

Med Cruise 22 (shutterfly.com)

Thanks so much. We are doing a 3 hr post-cruise debark tour with BOB and ending up at our hotel by the Pantheon where we will stay for 2 nights. Dinner and late lunch booked at Armandos! We have mobility issues (old age) and can easily keep occupied in the Pantheon area. The hotel will book us a car to get to the airport for our 8 am flight. 

Edited by Alaskanb

Slightly off topic but I have a question about Armandos. Are their restrooms on the main floor? How is their accessibility? I don't expect them to be anything like ADA compliant but I am worried for a family member with some mobility issues. I reached out directly to the restaurant but got a response that was almost impossible to follow. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Chad_O said:

Slightly off topic but I have a question about Armandos. Are their restrooms on the main floor? How is their accessibility? I don't expect them to be anything like ADA compliant but I am worried for a family member with some mobility issues. I reached out directly to the restaurant but got a response that was almost impossible to follow. Thanks!

It's on the first floor. At the back and to the right of the kitchen. There might have been a step.

As for your one actual day of touring, is there anything in Rome that appeals to you strongly? If there is, and it is suitable for spending most of day, forget about trying to see everything, and go see what interests you. If there is a class of lesser sites that appeal, find or arrange a tour that covers those sites. I am fascinated by cathedral interiors and have made a day of going between cathedrals/churches and appreciating the different surroundings in each one (and I’m not Catholic or even devoutly religious!). Pick one thing or category and see it well, rather than spread yourself thin and exhaust yourself moving around to all the “must sees.”

If all else fails, consider going to The Vatican and losing yourself in the Museum.

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Like 1