You think it's only Princess?...

JF - retired RRT

8 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Princess cruises to Hawaii have the lowest per person per day cost (around $50-60 per day).  I don't understand his "wisdom"

Who you kidding? A 15 day cruise in November to Hawaii on the Royal starts at $2500 per person ($160/day). Get out of here with your $50/person babble.

Edited by FrugalVoyager
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FrugalVoyager said:

Who you kidding? A 15 day cruise in November to Hawaii on the Royal starts at $2500 per person ($160/day). Get out of here with your $50/person babble.

Just curious, are you referring to this one? An inside cabin without any extras is $1,099 per person or about $73 per person per day.

Cruise Details - 15-Day Hawaiian Islands - Princess Cruises

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrugalVoyager said:

You can book an inside out of SF on the Ruby in early November for 1000 per person or in Mid November for 950. So in the 60 to 70 dollar per person per day range. Similar price for the Crown out of LA in December.

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

However there is one big difference.  Status on airlines (and Hotels) resets each year.  Cruise line status is forever. So airlines do not have to deal with the lifetime status situation that the cruise lines have.  The only people that have lifetime status on airlines are those that have hit million miler.

Cruise lines also do not have a point or mile system for getting free cruises or cabin upgrades so there is not a counterpart to the airlines point system.

You lose all your points if your don’t travel with MSC within a 3 year period and within 5 years for Fred Olsen. People drop off their schemes so they have fewer on the top levels.

We lost all our Fred points but as their loyalty scheme is poor anyway I was less than bothered. I would however be annoyed to lose my perks with some other lines but all I and anyone else would do is time cruises to keep them.

Loyalty schemes worked back in the day when cruises were extremely expensive so each and every passenger was a valuable commodity to be retained. In the days of sell them cheap and stack them high they are more replaceable. That’s probably why the “class” systems are coming back. Celebrity for example have always given more points for suites, Aqua and concierge class as they spend so much more to get onboard in the first place.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, mom says said:

I don't disagree with anything he said on the video. But to be fair,  he did stress that this change is really only apparent on the newer E class ships. For now.

Thank you for adding some perspective.  My husband and I are both 68.  We just did a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.  It had some families on board and a wide range of adults.  We were very active and found it to be a wonderful cruise.  Just my experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FrugalVoyager said:

Nuts!! We've been on at least 6 Princess cruises and are on a B2B in November (not the Royal). Our first HI cruise was in 2013 & we paid $1800pp. The current one (both insides). Paid $1104pp midforward for the first one, waited until final payment & the price was at $1013 aft (lowest category all the way forward was $900).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, caribill said:

Of course the addition of a 10% discount on Princess excursions is an added benefit, but the more cruises a Princess customer has been on, the less likely booking Princess excursions is.

I have a couple of excursions booked for our December cruise. I'm trying to remember how they handled the discount when we cruised in May. Does it show up as OBC once you are on the ship?

29 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have a couple of excursions booked for our December cruise. I'm trying to remember how they handled the discount when we cruised in May. Does it show up as OBC once you are on the ship?

I just checked my bill for my Feb 27-Mar 6th 2022 cruise and the 10% is credited on my bill, not as OBC.  It says "10% Shorex Discount-Elite Member Exclus" and then lists it as a minus amount.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

I just checked my bill for my Feb 27-Mar 6th 2022 cruise and the 10% is credited on my bill, not as OBC.  It says "10% Shorex Discount-Elite Member Exclus" and then lists it as a minus amount.

Hmmm... We are paid in full and used OBC to book the excursions. Had to have someone at Princess do it as our OBC was split up and they no longer just pool it together. (Stupid change.) Looking at my Travel Summary we were charged the full price. The discount should amount to $43.98 but I don't see it in the TS or anywhere in the Personalizer.

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hmmm... We are paid in full and used OBC to book the excursions. Had to have someone at Princess do it as our OBC was split up and they no longer just pool it together. (Stupid change.) Looking at my Travel Summary we were charged the full price. The discount should amount to $43.98 but I don't see it in the TS or anywhere in the Personalizer.

Your Elite  10% excursion discount will be

onboard credit after your excursion.

18 hours ago, FrugalVoyager said:

$999 for 15 days comes out to 66.60 per person per day.  There were lower rates earlier in the season.  Presuming that a balcony is the minimum cabin that can be booked is presumptuous and misleading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Shows up as refundable OBC onboard, same as the Internet discount

An inside out of San Francisco on Ruby for $1,064 before taxes and fees without single supplement.

This is only about $70 per person per day, and you can enjoy the whole cabin by yourself.

Keep in mind that this price is for general public, and you do not have to be a past guest or a gambler to get it.

This is really a steal. Find me a deal from other cruise lines that can beat this one.

image.thumb.png.390884e3105abf104341ea9b5894d0e1.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

I had no OBC on that cruise so paid cash for them prior so maybe that is the difference.  So if paid for with OBC, then I would guess that it will show as additional OBC after you get on.  Interesting.  I will see on my upcoming cruises in Feb and April as I do have OBC on those and quite a bit.  Thanks for the info on what happens with OBC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

I had no OBC on that cruise so paid cash for them prior so maybe that is the difference.  So if paid for with OBC, then I would guess that it will show as additional OBC after you get on.  Interesting.  I will see on my upcoming cruises in Feb and April as I do have OBC on those and quite a bit.  Thanks for the info on what happens with OBC.

Even if you pay cash prior your CC is charged full price and the discount shows up as a refundable OBC on board.