Cruising out or Charleston and a Sunshine question

wannagonow123

Been a while since I have cruised out of Charleston, so I want to make sure the procedures are still the same. You drive into the  parking lot line, where they look at your paperwork, then take your checked luggage. You then proceed to park, then walk to a small building where you check in, then wait for a shuttle bus to take you to main building. You go through security there, then get on the ship. That's what I remember. Is that procedure still correct?

Does the Sunshine have mini coolers in the rooms? (We have an interior). Also, does anyone know if the MediCoolers are still available to rent for insulin? I know someone is going to say my insulin does not need to be in a cooler, but my doctor has told me not to leave it out, so I don't

Thank you in advance for your responses. 

You'll have to check with the medical center or guest services for a medication refrigerator. I don't know about that. But otherwise that is how embarkation works at Charleston. As of two weeks ago it was fairly efficient actually, no real chokepoints and my wife and I were on the ship within 20 minutes of parking.

Yeah room had a small fridge, which was plenty cold after I pulled the fridge as far forward as I could in it little cabinet. (amazing how cold they can run when not having the back of the mini fridge pushed into the wall)

Embarkation was exactly as you described, two weeks ago, and much smoother and easier than I thought it would be.

4 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

Thanks folks. I have someone traveling with us that does not need to be walking extra steps. Why he won't use a mobility aid is beyond me......

I have almost gotten to that stage myself in my old age.

DW takes her walker, mostly for being able to sit down on the seated part if she needs to, halfway to a destination on the ship.

She begged me to take one of her older walkers, to which I declined, but I did find myself frequently having to find a chair along the way and make a beeline while walking the ship[.

Whereas with the walker I could have just plopped down whenever I needed to along the way or waiting for a venue to open, etc.

If there is any diubt they can amke the long walks I'd try to sway them to taking it.

DH takes insulin with him, and we have found that the availability of medi-coolers varies a lot.  More often than not when we go to Guest Services as soon as we’re on the ship, they say they don’t have any or they’re already taken by other people.  An alternative is having the medical center store the insulin, which worked for DH.  He went down there whenever he needed to and got his insulin.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

Thanks folks. I have someone traveling with us that does not need to be walking extra steps. Why he won't use a mobility aid is beyond me......

At the small building (324) where you check in, you could drop off your mobility challenged person where the wheelchair people gather.  It's at the base of the ramp going into 324.  They have benches there.  You could have your person sign up for a wheelchair right there.  My mom and I really enjoyed our wheelchair pusher, both at 324 and then our second pusher at the terminal.  Made our embarkation much more enjoyable!

• Like 1

And a quick reminder: with a handicap sticker/placard, parking is free in Charleston Cruise Port.  The handicap parking area is a lot closer to the 324 building, and there are golf carts riding around offering assistance. Enjoy!

14 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

DH takes insulin with him, and we have found that the availability of medi-coolers varies a lot.  More often than not when we go to Guest Services as soon as we’re on the ship, they say they don’t have any or they’re already taken by other people.  An alternative is having the medical center store the insulin, which worked for DH.  He went down there whenever he needed to and got his insulin.

We have always arranged for any medical by phone weeks in advance of the cruise, to avoid having issues once onboard.

12 hours ago, bambam said:

And a quick reminder: with a handicap sticker/placard, parking is free in Charleston Cruise Port.  The handicap parking area is a lot closer to the 324 building, and there are golf carts riding around offering assistance. Enjoy!

DEFINITELY remeber this fact.