diamond or sapphire princess info

eyegirl

For those of you who have sailed on these ships, how does La Patisserie compare to the International Cafe. We really like the IC, that they have pastries/sandwiches all day. Is La Patisserie similar?

Also, is there an Ice Cream place onboard?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, eyegirl said:

For those of you who have sailed on these ships, how does La Patisserie compare to the International Cafe. We really like the IC, that they have pastries/sandwiches all day. Is La Patisserie similar?

Also, is there an Ice Cream place onboard?

Thanks

Sapphire has the International Cafe--was basically the same as on the Grand in January except they have some new menu items & have removed some we loved. & yes Swirls ice cream (no coffee or drinks there just ice cream)

Edited by travelin.sisters

The LaPatisserie has coffee drinks like the International Cafe. There may also be some pastry or cookie selections. Unless Princess makes drastic changes it will not have the food selections, for breakfast and the balance of the day that are available at the International Cafe. It is basically a coffee bar with some pastries. When the Diamond finally sails you will be able to get a more accurate description of what is available there. 

• Like 2

i have been on the Sapphire and loved the IC it always seemed to hit the spot. we are looking at the diamond as well and looking at the video it shows the IC . 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/di-diamond-princess/ 

around the 1:40 mark. I went back and looked again when saw this post about the  LaPatisserie , I was not sure what that was. I hope the IC is on the diamond and similar to sapphire.  

my question along the lines of the IC is : does the food choice change based on the itinerary of the ship, we are looking at a Japan cruise. it would be very cool if there were sushi and sashimi, i might stay there all day long.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie murphy said:

i have been on the Sapphire and loved the IC it always seemed to hit the spot. we are looking at the diamond as well and looking at the video it shows the IC . 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/di-diamond-princess/ 

around the 1:40 mark. I went back and looked again when saw this post about the  LaPatisserie , I was not sure what that was. I hope the IC is on the diamond and similar to sapphire.  

my question along the lines of the IC is : does the food choice change based on the itinerary of the ship, we are looking at a Japan cruise. it would be very cool if there were sushi and sashimi, i might stay there all day long.  

I doubt that they will have sushi and/or sashimi at the Piazza level venue.  If they did, I am not sure how "fresh" it would be.  The sushi I have had on Princess (US Market) has been pretty pathetic.  I will give them credit for trying, but it is not even close to the real stuff.  

Their is Kai Sushi on Deck 7 (for a fee).  I would trust that they would have good sushi.  Not sure the sashimi would be fresh (not frozen).

PS.  Thank you for using correct terminology.  So often, I run into people (and NEWS casters) that disseminate the wrong information.  Sashimi is raw fish and other sea friends.  Sushi is rice with any number of toppings, including egg, cucumbers, raw fish, etc.

Edited by cr8tiv1

13 hours ago, eyegirl said:

We are booked on the Diamond...any insight on LaPatisserie?

It is a tray with pastries on it that changes through out the day (breakfast pastries to cookies, etc....) and it is located on a bar. It is one tray. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

"i have been on the Sapphire and loved the IC it always seemed to hit the spot. we are looking at the diamond as well and looking at the video it shows the IC ."

The Diamond does not have an International Cafe. The video is not correct. Some unaware person must have copied the information from the Sapphire. The Diamond has LaPatisserie located at the Good Spirits Bar in the Grand Plaza on deck 5. They have a small selection of pastries, cookies, things like that, and the specialty coffee drinks. No sushi. Sushi is available at Kai Sushi each evening and during lunch and the afternoon on sea days. Items are menu priced. There might be some sushi available at the Horizon Court. Worth a look.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing about the Diamond or Sapphire.  When I was looking at a cruise on the Sapphire, I had tried to find out which of the ocean view cabins on Plaza deck were set up like regular cabins with the bed against the wall, instead of under the window.  I would think there would be a good thread or somewhere to find that out!  But, doesn't seem to be.

Most every photo I see (no room numbers) show the bed under the window.

I saw that P220 had the bed against the wall.  And I saw a photo of P306, I think, that had the bed against the wall.  If anybody had any other information, that would be great!

2 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Another thing about the Diamond or Sapphire.  When I was looking at a cruise on the Sapphire, I had tried to find out which of the ocean view cabins on Plaza deck were set up like regular cabins with the bed against the wall, instead of under the window.  I would think there would be a good thread or somewhere to find that out!  But, doesn't seem to be.

Most every photo I see (no room numbers) show the bed under the window.

I saw that P220 had the bed against the wall.  And I saw a photo of P306, I think, that had the bed against the wall.  If anybody had any other information, that would be great!

Believe that if you request the beds in the queen configuration then they are placed together under the window with the nightstand(s) on each side. If you choose the twin configuration then the beds would be against the walls with the two nightstand(s) in the middle.

If you are in one of the 8 cabins that can sleep 4 the 3rd and 4th berths may fold down from the walls or they may lower from the ceiling. If on the wall then the lower berths would be probably be against the wall. If lowered from the ceiling and only two in the cabin then you can choose queen or twin configuration. 

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the case.    It is kind of odd that I see photos with these rooms in three different setups?  Only a very few are set up with the bed against the wall and no desks or anything under the window.  Maybe P216, P220, P306, P309. Maybe the berths for 3rd and 4th passengers make some kind of difference.

1 hour ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the case.    It is kind of odd that I see photos with these rooms in three different setups?  Only a very few are set up with the bed against the wall and no desks or anything under the window.  Maybe P216, P220, P306, P309. Maybe the berths for 3rd and 4th passengers make some kind of difference.

What are you trying to determine? Do you wish to have a queen bed or twin beds. Almost all cabins on Princess have beds that can be placed together to form a queen bed or separated to form twin beds. When the cabin does not have that option it is noted in red print on the deck plans. The cabins you mention have no red print. 

I am not looking to sail on the Sapphire right now.  But, if I were, and I wanted a convenient Plaza deck cabin, I would want the bed to be against the wall, like regular balcony cabins are laid out.  But almost all of these are set up with the beds under the window.  Doesn't matter if they are separate twins or one 'queen'.

Normal layout for a Princess balcony cat cabin has the head against the padded wall between the cabins. Once on board in your Plaza deck cabin you could ask the cabin steward if it is possible to turn the beds 90 degrees and place your bed across the cabin with the head against the cabin wall.  Maybe it can be accomplished, maybe not. There would not be a padded headboard as that is attached to the outside wall.