First Viking Cruise Review

Poulsbo Cruisers

6 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Your statement's cleverness sparked my curiosity - which led me to the following article:    https://www.thekitchn.com/the-english-muffin-is-not-english-at-all-234056

On reading the reference to "toaster crumpets", I think my vote would be for "failed crumpet".

I also think I desperately need a real life ... 🍺🥌

Intriguing, we were buying similar products well before the 90s. We aren't from an area where the US army were during the war, which would be one explanation. Perhaps it's a baking version of convergent evolution. 

US style muffins were completely unknown at the time 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I first encountered "English" Muffins in the US in the 1980's.  Of course I didnt recognise anything English about them - although they are quite nice.  Now they are on sale everywhere (Waitrose : pack of 4 English Muffins £

Actually I prefer crumpets since they absorb more butter and do not require splitting in two before being toasted.    I know, I know some Muffins come ready cut,   

I also need a life.  No cruises booked til 2023.

With the Viking version you get the best of both, as you would expect 'muffin like' at the edges, then 'crumpet like' in the centre. Nice but odd

On 10/22/2022 at 1:33 PM, KBs mum said:

Agreed, the 'English' bacon is nasty onboard. Its cheap salt water injected not properly cured (the giveaway is the white sludge) and is not cooked properly. It can be cooked in an oven, pan or grill, just need to have a bit of basic knowledge. 

We gave up on it and now go for the 'American style' crispy streaky. 

The British bangers on our last cruise amused us. They were nice, but a German type. By the way, for non British people, 'bangers' was originally a slang term for a cheap low quality product that often burst when cooked. 

Would like to see kedgeree on the breakfast menu, along with black pudding, haggis, fried bread and potato scones. Smoked mackerel/haddock and salmon would be nice as well

Haggis?

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

A wee 3-leggit beastie runnin thro' the Glen. Best served with neeps & tatties, and washed down wae a wee dram.

Is that the Lowland? My understanding was that the Highland, or Mountain Haggis, has four legs, those on the right being shorter. This results in the animal being able to run around a mountain at speed. (There being a rare subspecies, the Anticlockwise Haggis, whose left legs are shorter). 

Farmed Haggis seem to be inferior, in the same way as farmed salmon, and often have four legs of the same length 

Edited by KBs mum
Confusion between Haggis species
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the memories!  I just happened to come across this thread, and didn't expect haggis to be mentioned.  I experienced haggis during Bob Burns's nights at the residence hall of Dundee University in Scotland, where I was a foreign graduate student in the 1970s.  I enjoyed listening to Bob Burns's poems, but haggis was not the highlight of the night.  It was definitely the proper Scottish haggis, and knowing the ingredients I can't imagine having it for breakfast.  But I appreciated the explanations above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Is that the Lowland? My understanding was that the Highland, or Mountain Haggis, has four legs, those on the right being shorter. This results in the animal being able to run around a mountain at speed. (There being a rare subspecies, the Anticlockwise Haggis, whose left legs are shorter). 

Farmed Haggis seem to be inferior, in the same way as farmed salmon, and often have four legs of the same length 

Loving this thread - sitting here giggling (unable to sleep) wondering what our friends across the pond are making of all this😂😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

A wee 3-leggit beastie runnin thro' the Glen. Best served with neeps & tatties, and washed down wae a wee dram.

My understanding was that Scotch whisky came about in order to make haggis bearable.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

In Summary:

Regardless of some of the negatives covered above, we had a very nice experience on our first Viking Ocean cruise. The question for us is whether or not we would sail with Viking again. We have to balance the beautiful small ship experience and impeccable service that Viking offers with the fares they charge. We found the food to be good, but not exceptional. For us the entertainment was lacking and even though excursions were included, we didn’t find the included excursions that compelling. I can understand why some people love Viking, but for us, it’s one and done. The things Viking does very well does not justify, for us, the fares charged when including those areas we feel were lacking. We do not mind paying higher fares when we feel we are getting what we paid for and we hope to try other smaller ship cruise lines in the future. 

Thanks for this well written, balanced and detailed review. 

My experience from my last VOC (albeit a different itinerary) mirrored yours. Food was so-so and excursions were disappointing. If that was my first Viking experience, I would also be an one-and-done Viking cruiser. I think I still will sail with Viking because I love the ship, the understated Scandinavian elegance and the well-appointed stateroom. 

May be Viking can redesign the included excursion or just get rid of such concept and adjust the price accordingly. Most of the included excursions I took were simply mediocre. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, czrunner said:

Thanks for the memories!  I just happened to come across this thread, and didn't expect haggis to be mentioned.  I experienced haggis during Bob Burns's nights at the residence hall of Dundee University in Scotland, where I was a foreign graduate student in the 1970s.  I enjoyed listening to Bob Burns's poems, but haggis was not the highlight of the night.  It was definitely the proper Scottish haggis, and knowing the ingredients I can't imagine having it for breakfast.  But I appreciated the explanations above.

Bob Burns !  My friends north of the border would not be happy.  I think Rabbie is approved  but not Bob or even Rob.   I am from the south of England so should not really comment on this delicate subject. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, Jim Avery said:

OneSixty, thanks for bringing up Portsmouth.  I was going to take issue with that but it slipped right out the cracks.  Portsmouth is full of history and is a nice looking town.  Nothing like walking the decks of the Victory...

Totally agree. The Mary Rose was fascinating.

12 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

May be Viking can redesign the included excursion or just get rid of such concept and adjust the price accordingly. Most of the included excursions I took were simply mediocre. 

I agree, always have felt this way. I wish they would offer an “excursion package” so to speak at a fair/discounted price for those who would want them, and remove the cost incurred by Viking to include these excursions from standard fares. I think that would be a win-win. That said, a lot of people seem to like the included excursions concept. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I agree, always have felt this way. I wish they would offer an “excursion package” so to speak at a fair/discounted price for those who would want them, and remove the cost incurred by Viking to include these excursions from standard fares. I think that would be a win-win. That said, a lot of people seem to like the included excursions concept. 

And many times we have taken private tours for less than the Viking bus tours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Yes, I'd like either an "excursion package upgrade" for people who prefers to have Viking plan everything for them or an "excursion opt-out discount" for people who want to plan their own excursions.  

I understand why some like the included excursions.  I've heard many times how some people enjoy having Viking takes care of everything.  For me, after so many mediocre included excursions, I'd rather plan our own and pay private tours.  I told my friend who will take her first Viking Ocean next year to budget for optional or private excursions.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

And many times we have taken private tours for less than the Viking bus tours.

For us…..almost 100% of the time….no busses, personalized tours by amazing qualified guides. In many  countries the guides need to have gone through formalized education to qualify as a guide.