So, What Is The Final Word...

Ret MP

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I get off the shop in every port I have been to .I carry my sea pass cars and a small amount of money in my pocket.

IF I get off the ship in a foreign port, I ALWAYS take my passport, DL, and at least one C.C.  I also take a minimal amount of cash.  And, of course, the Sea Pass Card.

But, we all have our own ways and reasons for doing things.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

While I like the convenience of being able to have the internet to look things up, buy a ticket, or pull up a boarding pass (heck, cell phone tech support is what I do for a living), I seriously hope that nobody takes any ideas from Disney right now. They've turned Disney World into microtransaction hell. I don't want that insanity spreading anywhere else, especially a cruise where the whole point is to chill and relax and not think about the rush rush rush of the rest of the world.

Disney World right now is a pay-to-win dystopia trying to extract every last bit of cash from people by keeping them glued to their screens pressing buttons instead of actually enjoying the park. This is not an example of the wonders of technology. 

Never been to Disney, except Epcot and with the possible exception of Animal Kingdom, I have no desire to set foot in the Magic Kingdom. or any others.  I live 25 minutes from Kings Island, which is a great amusement park and see no reason to pay $$$'s to go to and be a part of the craziness. I have family members who are addicted and go at least once a year.  I just don't get it.

Edited by mek

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

IF I get off the ship in a foreign port, I ALWAYS take my passport, DL, and at least one C.C.  I also take a minimal amount of cash.  And, of course, the Sea Pass Card.

But, we all have our own ways and reasons for doing things.  

My passport never leaves the ship .I have only been to North America,South and Latin America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My passport never leaves the ship .I have only been to North America,South and Latin America.

That's you decision and I respect that.  However, I'll keep you in my prayers should you ever need an emergency evac while you are in port somewhere.  

Just a heads up.  If you miss the ship and it sails off.  They have taken count of all the passengers that have left and returned to the ship.  If you have not returned then a crew member gets documents from you safe and gives it to the pilot ship that takes the cruise ship out of the dock.  We don't take a passport  but we do take a copy of the cruise compass.  It has the local contact if the need arises.

27 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Just a heads up.  If you miss the ship and it sails off.  They have taken count of all the passengers that have left and returned to the ship.  If you have not returned then a crew member gets documents from you safe and gives it to the pilot ship that takes the cruise ship out of the dock.  We don't take a passport  but we do take a copy of the cruise compass.  It has the local contact if the need arises.

Agreed, but sometimes a medical emergency just can't wait, while in a city, possibly, hours away from the ship and the ship is still at port, or not.  If they need to fly you back to the U.S. under an emergency bases to save your limb and/or life, only having a Passport will allow that, if you don't have the passport, it causes unwanted and dangerous delays.  I just prefer to take away as many obstacles as possible, especially for my loved ones.  I'm old, it doesn't matter anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 12:56 PM, reallyitsmema said:

We were also on Oasis October 9th and had no issues getting a paper copy of the compass.  Not sure who you talked to as the hotel director was a man, not a woman.  Maybe you spoke to head of housekeeping.  We only received a few notices all week, nothing for art auction, just a few for the spa.  

well come to think about it she might have been head of housekeeping as she got it resolved really fast and apologized.