Compensation for Covid Isolation

9 hours ago, BND said:

I don't get this need for "compensation".  No one gets it for the flu (which is highly contagious right now, moreso than most, if not all viruses).  The fact they gave you anything for something that is not their fault is amazing.   The ship did not give her covid.  The fact it was day 5 means she could have caught it anywhere prior to embarking or a prior port.  She self reported  which was her/your choice.  At this point,, unless I was really very sick I wouldn't.  You got a credit, right?  Personally, I would take what they gave me since they really don't have to do anything as it's not their fault she got sick.  It's not anyone's fault. It's called LIFE.

Royal Caribbean absolutely compensated us when we were quarantined on Anthem with the flu. They give you a prorated refund or FCC if you are quarantined on the ship for any reason. My Covid quarantine in May was a refund. My current letter for isolation on Oasis two weeks ago says it will be a FCC. 

7 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Compensation does encourage people to self report.  If not, highly contagious viruses such as COVID or Norovirus could quickly spread from one person to hundreds including crew members.  This would cause more of an issue than giving someone a few hundred dollars as compensation even if it's just a good will gesture.  The negative PR might hinder new reservations and cause some people to cancel.  

6 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

Exactly, with the "me, me and me first" mentality people have today, how many would self report if they knew they would loose both money, vacation days and also be "locked up" for the rest of the cruise? Personally I would look what the insurance could offer.

Some of us actually go to medical for medical care, not compensation. When we got the flu, we were able to get tamiflu from the ship because we went within 48 hours of symptoms. Had we waited until we got off the ship, we would have missed that window. 

When I got Covid, I reported to medical because it was the right thing to do and I had a high fever. Yes, I did receive compensation to further quarantine before I could fly home, but that was the policy at the time. 

My most recent trip to medical that led to me isolating again was again because I needed medical treatment because I was having issues breathing. Because I had symptoms similar to Covid, I needed to have two consecutive days of negative Covid tests to be allowed to leave my cabin. I was not looking for compensation, I was looking for help, which I received. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Royal compensated her for a sinus infection? What am I missing here?

Just in case was CV. We knew was Sinus infections she gets them all the time. 2 Negatives in 24hrs... They say tell them any the listed Symptoms, even though most are similar to Colds and even Allergies and know most time its not CV. They offered the Compensation...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Most experienced cruisers know better than to report anything to the ships medical staff, unless it is an emergency. If you get sick, stay in bed or stay in your cabin or on your balcony. Order room service or have your cabin mate bring you a tray. Take basic cold or flu or fever and headache meds which you should always travel with, and drink plenty of water or other fluids. Isn't that what you would do at home or would you run to the doctor with simple cold/flu symptoms?  

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou
  • Like 1