Tamarind special 1 night on each cruise Indonesian dinner

Papadog

Definite thumbs up from us! Pre-pandemic but in the Pinnacle Grill for us (don't think that ship had a Tamarind). It was fantastic and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Amazing food, small tastes of a variety of things and while a few were spicy hot, the overall was just a fantastic experience. Sure hope they bring it back.

6 hours ago, Papadog said:

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this special night at Tamarind, this is something that is relatively new. I was wondering if it would be worth a try.

On our  Amazon Explorer cruise on the Volendam in December 2019, we were delighted to learn that they would offer "A Night at the Tamarind" with a paired down menu.  It was in the Pinnacle Grill, which was beautifully transformed.  Service went smoothly with appetizers, but soon fell apart as the kitchen could not handle the volume of  orders and we were there for close to 3 hours as I recall.  We had dined in the Pinnacle several times prior to this special dinner (our 50th anniversary cruise in a Neptune Suite)  so the female Manager was familiar with us. We waited patiently, but many diners became angry, were rude and walked out, creating a scene.  Our meal was delicious and the manager personally apologized for the disastrous event.  We were never charged for the meal.

I am sure the manager retired to her cabin with an ice pack on her head...we felt badly for her, as she was competent manager.  Hopefully the ships without a Tamarind have learned from this and are able to present the event smoothly!

I was told by one of the Pinnacle supervisors here on the Nieuw Amsterdam that there would be no more “pop up” Rudy’s on any of the ships post October 1, 2022. The Rudy’s Sel de Mer I had reserved on the 8th was cancelled and I haven’t seen any other pop ups offered onboard for this cruise. ☹️  I sure hope they reconsider. 

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2