Wish Royal would adopt something like Carnival's new chair hog policy

I like the idea of a parking meter type device on every chair.  Make it that you have to swipe your seapass card every 30 minutes.  When it runs out, red light comes on, and attendants (or other passengers) can remove items to the towel stand if no one has their butt in the chair.

I am about to embark on cruise #55 with 8 lines. And 4 A/I vacations and yet to see system working properly about chairhogging.

I would not expect it to work. It is very difficult to enforce, and crew is not very comfortable bothering guests, removing their stuff.

Recently we were in Jacuzzi in Solarium on Adventure for some time (after a long walk in Boston). When we returned to our chairs near window we found another passenger occupying it. She calculated we were absent for too long and it was a time to enforce laws. 🤣 There were many empty loungers maybe in the next row, but she needed one of our 3 chairs. She wanted to be by the window. We had towels clothing, tablets, phones etc on all three... so it was pretty obvious we are in the area, yet ....

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

I like the idea of a parking meter type device on every chair.  Make it that you have to swipe your seapass card every 30 minutes.  When it runs out, red light comes on, and attendants (or other passengers) can remove items to the towel stand if no one has their butt in the chair.

30 minutes is too little. I swim for longer. At least and hour.

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I am about to embark on cruise #55 with 8 lines. And 4 A/I vacations and yet to see system working properly about chairhogging.

I would not expect it to work. It is very difficult to enforce, and crew is not very comfortable bothering guests, removing their stuff.

Recently we were in Jacuzzi in Solarium on Adventure for some time (after a long walk in Boston). When we returned to our chairs near window we found another passenger occupying it. She calculated we were absent for too long and it was a time to enforce laws. 🤣 There were many empty loungers maybe in the next row, but she needed one of our 3 chairs. She wanted to be by the window. We had towels clothing, tablets, phones etc on all three... so it was pretty obvious we are in the area, yet ....

It wasn’t obvious at all that you were in the area. 
How long were you in the hot tub? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I just can't see a resolution to this age old problem.  Other than, "NO RESERVATIONS", period.  If you leave the area/neighborhood/venue for other than to go to the bar to get a drink or use the restroom, your chair/lounger is forfeited at that time.  You go to eat at the WJ or MDR, sucks to be you!  You leave to go back to the cabin to get your kids moving, you're out.  You leave to go watch the show, bye bye.  

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  ONE AND DONE!  YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY PERSON WALKING ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH!  

Well No. I don't see this as working because I associate the chair with the pools and hot tubs. It gets me that you said leave the area for bar or bathroom but left out pools and hot tubs. I'll assume that was a mistake on your part. But of course that's the problem. Defining what the chair/area/use/need is for. I do think chairs in the pool area are for the pool area guests. Not those sleeping or having lunch etc etc. We all know the difference.

Edit. OK I noticed you said venue. I assume that was the pool/hot tub reference.

Edited by CanHardlyWait4NextYear
Edit
  • Like 1

The bottom line for me is about people gone for hours at a time. It's a fine line and you need to make sure that's the case. I don't want to stress about finding a chair. However, I don't want to stress 5 minutes into being in a pool that someone is miscalculating how long I've been gone from my chair either. I see that becoming a whole new stress if this isn't handled carefully.

16 hours ago, crazyank said:

We've seen this also,  we simply ignore whoever is trying to shoo us away and sit where we want to.

That would have been a better use of those seats.  Nearly the entire row ended up unused, and it was in a prime location.  Unfortunately, the hogger will likely continue hogging in the future despite the unused wasted seats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

OK I noticed you said venue. I assume that was the pool/hot tub reference.

Yes, I assume that all the activities within the "Venue", "Area" and/or "Neighborhood" would logically be included!

"If you leave the area/neighborhood/venue"..............

Edited by Ret MP

23 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I just can't see a resolution to this age old problem.  Other than, "NO RESERVATIONS", period.  If you leave the area/neighborhood/venue for other than to go to the bar to get a drink or use the restroom, your chair/lounger is forfeited at that time.  You go to eat at the WJ or MDR, sucks to be you!  You leave to go back to the cabin to get your kids moving, you're out.  You leave to go watch the show, bye bye.  

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  ONE AND DONE!  YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY PERSON WALKING ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH!  

Last summer we were at a (genuine) resort hotel that had really nice cabanas by the pool that were free.   No reservations, paid or otherwise.    If someone's butt wasn't in the cabana, it was free for anyone to use.  You know what?   There were empty cabana during the prime time, which was a Saturday afternoon in summer.   If someone left to say eat, they were expected to take their stuff with them.   But, when they got back, there would be another cabana available because no one could reserve.  

I had closely researched those cabanas.   We like to drive on vacation rather than fly cattle cars, and we like to drive straight through.   I thought we would arrive at around 6 am, and DH the main driver, needs an arrival day rest/sleep.   Trouble is hotel rooms are unlikely to be available then.  So my thought was we'd claim a cabana when the pool opened and DH could sleep there until our room was available. 

A family friend went on his cruise with his girlfriend a few years ago.  I remember my mother fussing about how expensive this girlfriend was.   One of the examples was how she insisted on a big balcony room (I think she meant a balcony seat) because then they 'wouldn't need to reserve a chair.'    I wonder if this cruise lines knows that happens?   

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, rudeney said:

Good point!  I've never had an issue getting a chair in the suite section.  

I am booking a suite on Allure.  Is the suite section far and out of the way of the pool area or is it easy and accessible to get to.  I always thought they were out of the way?

9 hours ago, slyster said:

I am booking a suite on Allure.  Is the suite section far and out of the way of the pool area or is it easy and accessible to get to.  I always thought they were out of the way?

Not sure about Allure, but on Freedom and Voyager class it's a tiered section right there at the pool bar:

image.thumb.png.ade2dd7e65fbaf669c98832033e95267.png

A few comments 

I wish they had more options to be able to leave your stuff when you are going to be using the pool or hot tub for extensive periods.

One should not be reserving chairs for hours, even if they are in the pool .

Also, I usually look at empty chairs, wait around 20 min, if I see no activity, if somebody is near, I ask if they have seen anybody using the chair. If they have not seen anybody, I move stuff to a nearby chair.

I have always been able to use it for 1/2 hrs.

When I am done, move stuff back 

30 cruises, NEVER had an issue 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

Not sure about Allure, but on Freedom and Voyager class it's a tiered section right there at the pool bar:

image.thumb.png.ade2dd7e65fbaf669c98832033e95267.png

I have seen that on Freedom.  I am not sure about Oasis class though.  I think the set up is different.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

It wasn’t obvious at all that you were in the area. 
How long were you in the hot tub? 

I was there ALL the time. More than 30 minutes, probably around 45 minutes or so. This person did not have any reasons to believe we were outside of pool area. And we left very important stuff in our chairs. Not only towels or caps. Chairs were full of stuff.

Edited by Tatka

On 10/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, CGinMTL said:

A few comments 

I wish they had more options to be able to leave your stuff when you are going to be using the pool or hot tub for extensive periods.

Also, I usually look at empty chairs, wait around 20 min, if I see no activity, if somebody is near, I ask if they have seen anybody using the chair. If they have not seen anybody, I move stuff to a nearby chair.

'

Why? If I am swimming and my chair is full of my stuff, including tablets. Why would you think I am not in the pool area? Please do not move other people stuff. I never do this.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I was there ALL the time. More than 30 minutes, probably around 45 minutes or so. This person did not have any reasons to believe we were outside of pool area. And we left very important stuff in our chairs. Not only towels or caps. Chairs were full of stuff.

so you weren't sitting in  the chairs for 30-45 minutes, do I have that right?

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

'

Why? If I am swimming and my chair is full of my stuff, including tablets. Why would you think I am not in the pool area? Please do not move other people stuff. I never do this.

It is no one's responsibility to try and figure out where you are, if you have not been sitting in your lounger for 30-45 minutes, you are a chair hog, and I have zero issue moving the stuff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:34 PM, CGinMTL said:

A few comments 

I wonder if the problem could be solved by having some lockers (with those removable keys you can check out) or cubby holes of some kind. You can use the lockers to leave items but no chair reserving.

That would solve the problem of people genuinely needing to find a spot for items, but keep chair hogs at bay. Any items left on chairs unattended go straight to the lost and found.

I'm just thinking about previous waterparks and such that I have been to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

so you weren't sitting in  the chairs for 30-45 minutes, do I have that right?

Yes, but I am not going around the ship or to buffet. I am swimming in Jacuzzi or in the pool. There are many chairs around to use, but this person absolutely needed my chair by the window.

Look, I do 5 regular size or longer cruises with Royal last several years. I know the rules.

This was outrageous.

I personally would not touch other people stuff even if person is outside of pool area and there is only a towel, but in my case it is normal to be in pool area and use pool/Jacuzzi for longer.

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

I wonder if the problem could be solved by having some lockers (with those removable keys you can check out) or cubby holes of some kind. You can use the lockers to leave items but no chair reserving.

That would solve the problem of people genuinely needing to find a spot for items, but keep chair hogs at bay. Any items left on chairs unattended go straight to the lost and found.

I'm just thinking about previous waterparks and such that I have been to.

If I am not planning to use chairs at all I just put my stuff on regular chair on the edge of pool.

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is no one's responsibility to try and figure out where you are, if you have not been sitting in your lounger for 30-45 minutes, you are a chair hog, and I have zero issue moving the stuff

You have no right to touch anybody's stuff and watch what will happen if I see you doing this.

I am a very peaceful person, but not in cases like this. And I do not care what terms you are using in your head. You are a thief.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tatka said:

You have no right to touch anybody's stuff and watch what will happen if I see you doing this.

I am a very peaceful person, but not in cases like this. And I do not care what terms you are using in your head. You are a thief.

If it's been sitting there that long, the property could be deemed forgotten or abandoned.  Removing it and giving it to RC crew merely helped return it to its owner.

Besides, theft is the intent to deprive someone permanently of their property. Simply moving it doesn't constitute theft.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tatka said:

At least your anger would be entertaining.  

7E076D49-6AFF-476C-8210-E0CF5FC9ACC2.jpeg.9ccb4d83829e3cb0a4985118ba68e03f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

At least your anger would be entertaining.  

7E076D49-6AFF-476C-8210-E0CF5FC9ACC2.jpeg.9ccb4d83829e3cb0a4985118ba68e03f.jpeg

As entertaining as any interaction with thieves

Why are you showing me your photo? Are you planning to look like this?