State Enhanced Drivers License ???

woodey

Family Reunion cruise coming up and I am trying to help family members, its there first cruise.

When I checked in my last cruise 2 weeks ago i noticed that they allowed State Enhanced Drivers license as a form of ID

they don't have there passports but they do have Birth Certificates. I advised them to bring it, and they will. but my question is.. you guest it... can they just use the state ID now on a closed end loop cruise? and if so has anyone done this yet?

Carnivals website says it is an approved WHTI Compliant document.

if this topic has been talked about prior sorry i missed it.

Thanks in Advance....

2 hours ago, woodey said:

Family Reunion cruise coming up and I am trying to help family members, its there first cruise.

When I checked in my last cruise 2 weeks ago i noticed that they allowed State Enhanced Drivers license as a form of ID

they don't have there passports but they do have Birth Certificates. I advised them to bring it, and they will. but my question is.. you guest it... can they just use the state ID now on a closed end loop cruise? and if so has anyone done this yet?

Thanks in Advance....

When you say enhanced id do you mean real id?

enhanced ids are only available in the following states.

• Michigan.
  • Minnesota.
  • New York.
  • Vermont.
  • Washington.

• on a closed loop cruise pretty sure you just need a state issued id and your birth certificate if you don’t have a passport.

In my state real ids are supposed to go into effect in May 2023 but that date has been pushed back many times.

4 hours ago, woodey said:

If the driver's license has a US flag on it, it is from one of the five states mentioned above, and is a WHTI approved ID.  If it has a "star" (usually gold), then it is a "Real ID", and is not a WHTI approved ID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If it has a "star" (usually gold), then it is a "Real ID"

It can have the gold star and still be an Enhanced Driver's License if that is also indicated. It's when it's the gold star only, not just its presence on the ID. Here in Michigan ours has both. "Enhanced Driver License" above your picture if you received (bought) that one, and the gold star is just the standard for any ID indicating Real ID compliance in the upper right corner. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/faqs/license-and-id/real-id#:~:text=card look like%3F-,A REAL ID-compliant driver's license or state ID card,star when renewed or replaced. Sample pictures of such are 

But to the OP's point. You can use an Enhanced Driver's License on a closed-loop US cruise under WHTI. You need birth certificate with your ID if it's not an Enhanced Driver's License or passport. 

11 hours ago, woodey said:

Family Reunion cruise coming up and I am trying to help family members, it's their first cruise.

they don't have their passports but they do have Birth Certificates.

I advised them to bring it, and they will. but my question is.. you guessed it... can they just use the state ID now on a closed end loop cruise? and if so has anyone done this yet?

Thanks in Advance....

Might help if you could say what state the questionable travelers were from.

Hopefully somebody from those particular states could help.

Edited by bguppies