First time to CocoaCay /Perfect Day

Well, the title held the topic sentence:  We're going to Cocoa Cay for the first time soon, and I have several questions: 

- Should we bring water shoes? 

- Without spending any money, which is the best beach for a quiet day?  We'd like shade, chairs, access to food and a bar.  A hammock would be a bonus.  

- We might want to snorkel -- where?  

- Where's the best place to have lunch?  

- Where's a towel station for exchanging dirties for cleans?

Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Where's the best place to have lunch?

First, I'll take the question I feel most qualified to answer since eating is my favorite activity while cruising, lol. Assuming you want free...

Chill Grill or Skippers Grill (identical venues) have a great taco bar with freshly made tortillas, choice of beef, chicken, or pork, all the fixins including guac. They also have burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, and salad there but I just gorge on tacos. Dessert hack... take 2 chocolate chip cookies to the soft serve ice cream station and make an ice cream sandwich (then eat it quickly before it melts).

Other place to eat is at one of the Snack Shacks (there are 3, counter service)... great crispy chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks, and the best dessert there... funnel cake!

26 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Without spending any money, which is the best beach for a quiet day?  We'd like shade, chairs, access to food and a bar.  A hammock would be a bonus.  

27 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you include the snorkeling part, Chill Island is probably where you want to be. You won't be far from Chill Grill and there's a Snack Shack not too far away either, on the way back to the pool. You will pass a bunch of hammocks if you take the path we do but not sure you'd want to sit near them. There is shade everywhere as the loungers have plenty of umbrellas. There is a bar over near where my wife snorkels, Wacky Seagull Jr. maybe?

Ask where the towel exchange is. There are crew members stationed everywhere to help you find stuff. I know where it is compared to where we always sit when I'm there but I'm awful at directions.

Hope this gives you a starting point. I'm sure others will chime in.

• Like 1

We haven't been to CoCo Cay since all of the additions, so we watched a video on youtube yesterday that helped us a lot! It was a Royal Caribbean blog video. He takes you around to all of the different areas, beginning with Chill Island. He showed the towel exchange location. Maybe you will find it helpful for some of your questions too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Chill Grill or Skippers Grill (identical venues) have a great taco bar with freshly made tortillas, 

If you include the snorkeling part, Chill Island is probably where you want to be.

Excellent info -- I would gladly eat tacos every day of the week.  Good to know these two venues are identical.  

Snorkeling locations noted!  

1 hour ago, JustUs275 said:

We haven't been to CoCo Cay since all of the additions, so we watched a video on youtube yesterday that helped us a lot! It was a Royal Caribbean blog video. He takes you around to all of the different areas, beginning with Chill Island. He showed the towel exchange location. Maybe you will find it helpful for some of your questions too.

I'll watch that video, and then I'll know about towel exchange locations -- and more.  It's a plan.  

37 minutes ago, bragstarr said:

I was going to ask this myself,  was on Coco Cay for my first cruise in 2002 and haven’t been back since…..and it all seems so confusing!!!!  Thanks for the food info!

Glad to be useful!  

Thanks, All, for the help! 

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, the title held the topic sentence:  We're going to Cocoa Cay for the first time soon, and I have several questions: 

- Should we bring water shoes? 

- Without spending any money, which is the best beach for a quiet day?  We'd like shade, chairs, access to food and a bar.  A hammock would be a bonus.  

- Where's the best place to have lunch?  

- Where's a towel station for exchanging dirties for cleans?

Thanks. 

We have been to CocoCay 4 times in the past year. We normally hang out at Chill Beach, positioned close to the buffet and the bar, which is close to the pool. Towel stations are at the entrance to the island. Lots and lots of loungers and umbrellas. Some snorkeling off the beach... nothing too impressive. 

3 hours ago, JustUs275 said:

Just to add one point, there are several towel exchange locations on the island. Also, you can get towels on the island, so you don’t have to bring towels with you from the ship. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We have been to CocoCay 4 times in the past year. We normally hang out at Chill Beach, positioned close to the buffet and the bar, which is close to the pool. Towel stations are at the entrance to the island. Lots and lots of loungers and umbrellas. Some snorkeling off the beach... nothing too impressive. 

Where are towel stations at the entrance to the island? I have been to Coco Cay 11 times this year, visit number 12 is right around the corner, but I have never noticed any towel stations at the entrance to the island. The closest towel station to the entrance I have seen is in the waterpark, but you have to have a ticket for the water park to use it. There are two towel stations we normally use, but they are not near the entrance to the island. 

1 hour ago, Kathy&Rich said:

First time to CoCoCay.  There are free chairs, food and a pool or 2?  I'm not planning to use the water park and just wondered what is free.  Thanks, all!

There is a huge pool (Oasis) that is free. The pool usually doesn’t get too crowded except for around the swim up bar area. There are also several different “beaches” that are free. There are also plenty of activities (connect 4, jenga, plus more) and sports (basketball, volleyball, soccer pool plus more ) that are free. 

9 hours ago, Kathy&Rich said:

First time to CoCoCay.  There are free chairs, food and a pool or 2?  I'm not planning to use the water park and just wondered what is free.  Thanks, all!

There are excellent videos on YouTube with tours, tons of info about the different beach areas, an overview of everything that's free, etc. I found the videos excellent for helping me learn about options and layout of the island. Happy planning. 

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

@BirdTravelsBest beach for those who do not have water shoes and are not planning on snorkeling? I am going on Freedom soon and am tight on luggage space so not planning on bringing my water shoes or snorkel gear, just looking for soft sand, nice water, and a bar nearby lol

Thanks, All, for the information!  I've watched a couple You Tube videos for Cocoa Cay, and I feel pretty well prepared.  I'm thinking South Beach is probably best for us, and I am looking forward to tacos for lunch.  I am comfortable with the towel thing.  

One thing about which I'm still unclear:  Are water shoes a necessity?  I would ONLY use them for Cocoa Cay, and I'm inclined not to spend the space in my suitcase.  

Thanks again, All. 

21 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thanks, All, for the information!  I've watched a couple You Tube videos for Cocoa Cay, and I feel pretty well prepared.  I'm thinking South Beach is probably best for us, and I am looking forward to tacos for lunch.  I am comfortable with the towel thing.  

One thing about which I'm still unclear:  Are water shoes a necessity?  I would ONLY use them for Cocoa Cay, and I'm inclined not to spend the space in my suitcase.  

Thanks again, All. 

I’ve never had a problem with just flip flops/beach sandals. Same for my wife & she usually snorkels on Chill Beach before we settle in by the pool.