Buffet service on TA Beyond

Treacher1

When we sailed the APEX in March, there were servers at every station at the buffet.  It worked out quite well; and I assume done due to covid precautions.  On the current BEYOND TA is the buffet back to self serve or is the staff still serving?  Thanks  -  hope the rest of your cruise goes well.  We actually liked the staff serving at the buffet.  Less mess and most likely more safe rather than having all passengers touch the utensils to dish out the food.  

47 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m bringing clear latex gloves to use at the buffet on Beyond next week. Is this stupid or a good idea?

Like others have said, do what makes you feel comfortable. I will, however, share my experience.

I brought a couple dozen pairs for our Mediterranean cruise last March. (Along with our masks of course) After the first day it became apparent that it was an incredible hassle. It was way easier and less time-consuming to just use copious amounts of hand sanitizer...often. Basically before and after everything. Fortunately, I had brought along a *lot* of hand sanitizer. We did not catch covid for the entire 3 weeks.

Synopsis: If I had to do over again, I would just bring masks and a good supply of sanitizer. You can't count on the cruise line to keep the dispensers filled. Or even to have them available. They were disappearing slowly over the 3 weeks except by the food venues...they were MIA by elevators by the 3rd week...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Clear as in vinyl? Those are a different material than latex. Please ensure whatever you use is not made from latex as many people have severe allergies to latex and using those kind you would be contaminating the food - which could cause life threatening issues. 

Most ships kitchen staff use vinyl (clear) gloves for this reason.  

I hope you have an enjoyable trip! 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:37 PM, adventure4life said:

Clear as in vinyl? Those are a different material than latex. Please ensure whatever you use is not made from latex as many people have severe allergies to latex and using those kind you would be contaminating the food - which could cause life threatening issues. 

Most ships kitchen staff use vinyl (clear) gloves for this reason.  

I hope you have an enjoyable trip! 

What happens if you have a vinyl allergy?  Hives/rash.

Edited by zitsky

On 11/15/2022 at 10:06 PM, zitsky said:

What happens if you have a vinyl allergy?  Hives/rash.

I believe, based on available statistics, vinyl has a much lower incidence of people being allergic. Latex allergies however, is 1-2% of the worlds population. For myself, the allergy to latex is also airborne. If latex gloves are used the powder particles can become airborne and essentially contaminate the entire area (surfaces/food/ect). I have immediate anaphylaxis reactions which requires and epi pen. This also includes latex balloons. Lots of info online about the allergy and it's various organ reactions. 

Please, use gloves made from vinyl or ensure the box says latex free. Those of us who have this allergy would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!  

Edited by adventure4life
  • Thanks 1