Which cruise line and why?

kayehall

I am starting to research an Alaskan cruise.  It is far more different than deciding on a Caribbean cruise.  So basics first, Holland America or Princess?  And I am thinking southbound.  That gives me room for a land tour before the cruise.  I am very confused as to the logistics of Alaska as far as distance, location of the port, etc.  It is quite overwhelming.

I still haven't been on my Alaska cruise I've been researching for 3 yrs but a large part of what drew me to the location is that the ports look easy to navigate, and safe, which to me as a solo cruiser and first timer was important. If you're looking at Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau they all seem easy to get to, pretty close to the ship. Although with a rock slide in Skagway recently they had to do some tendering and other workarounds, and I don't know the plans long term for that. I chose Princess and that was partly for Glacier Bay and partly because Princess just seems to suit my personality. 

18 hours ago, kayehall said:

I am starting to research an Alaskan cruise.  It is far more different than deciding on a Caribbean cruise.  So basics first, Holland America or Princess?  And I am thinking southbound.  That gives me room for a land tour before the cruise.  I am very confused as to the logistics of Alaska as far as distance, location of the port, etc.  It is quite overwhelming.

If one is going to do a land tour and a cruise, it is recommended that the land tour be first and then connecting with a cruise.  The cruise will give one a chance to refresh from the land tour.  That implies a Southbound cruise.

Princess has excellent Southbound itineraries that include visits to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  HAL may now also have that; not certain.  Check both lines' itineraries carefully.

The on-board Alaskan cruise program on both lines is very good to excellent.  I have experienced both and I liked both, but, I think Princess has the edge in that regard.  On the other hand, HAL ships have the Crow's Nest for indoor sightseeing when the weather turns sour.  Princess has nothing like that.  A comment is often made that there seems to be less outdoor deck space for guests on the Royal Class Princess ships as compared to HAL's ships.  (I agree with those comments.)  

Other questions?  Enjoy your researching and planning!  

On 10/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, kayehall said:

I am starting to research an Alaskan cruise. It is far more different than deciding on a Caribbean cruise. So basics first, Holland America or Princess? And I am thinking southbound. That gives me room for a land tour before the cruise. I am very confused as to the logistics of Alaska as far as distance, location of the port, etc. It is quite overwhelming.

Yes, it can be a bit overwhelming, in part driven by many brands used by a relatively small number of cruise line holding companies. It may be helpful initially to make certain that the corporate relationships are understood, for that can then explain some of the similarities and distinctions among the various brands. As to regular one-way cruises in 2023 between Vancouver and Anchorage ports (Seward and Whittier), there are 4 such cruise line holding companies to choose from. Those companies, along with the number of vessels being and brands being operated, are as follows: Carnival (5 vessels, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises); NCL Holding (3 vessels, Norwegian Cruise Line, Regent Seven Seas Cruises); Royal Caribbean Group (4 vessels, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Silversea Cruises); and Viking (1 vessel, Viking Ocean Cruises). The first three dominate the industry and largely offer the same basic 7-night cruises, with minor differences as to specific ports and brand identity, while Viking bucks the trend with its 10-night cruises.

For pre-cruise and post-cruise land tours, Carnival has the most developed and extensive programs. It owns and operates, through corporate subsidiaries, all of the motorcoaches, railcars, and hotels used on its tours. NCL Holding and Royal Caribbean Group contract with separate corporate entities for the provision of motorcoach, railcar, and hotel services. (Viking does not offer pre-cruise or post-cruise land tours.) All of the land tours are largely the same, having various combinations of the same destination sites (Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, and Fairbanks), using mostly the same type of bi-level Ultra Dome railcars for transportation on some segments. Carnival offers a few additional options beyond what NCL Holdings and Royal Caribbean Group offer. But the real choice is whether a cruise passenger wants to embark on a pre-cruise or post-cruise land tour arranged by the same cruise line, or to arrange independent travel. The cruise line tours are easiest to book, as there is little planning to be done by the traveler, and the tours go to the standard tourist circuit so there is little chance of missing those tourist sights. Planning independently gives greater control as to what, where, and when things are seen, but it can require substantially more effort.

The cruise travel itself is much the same among Carnival, NCL Holding, and Royal Caribbean Group. Some brands offer a higher level of service (e.g., Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Silversea Cruises), and may offer a distinct port, but the itineraries do not vary in the broader sense. The largest of the groups, Carnival, divides its operations between the Holland America Line brand and the Princess Cruises brand, and so they will look different, having a distinct vibe enroute, and they each have their own separate offices (HAL in Seattle, Princess in Santa Clarita) but behind the facade all of the critical resources are common, and the two brands do not "compete" against each other. Viking is the only cruise line that plays to a different drummer. It does not use the easier-to-manage bi-weekly cycle used by all the other lines in scheduling cruises, but instead uses a 20-day cycle, allowing for 10-night one-way cruises. Finally, it should also be noted that there are a handful of irregular cruises offered by independent lines that can provide for unique experiences. These include Hurtigruten (12- or 13-nights), Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (15 nights), and Windstar Cruises (10-, 11-, and 12-night cruises).

Given that the general characteristics of most lines and their vessels are so similar, unless choosing a truly distinct line (i.e., Viking, Hurtigruten, Hapag-Lloyd, Windstar), the best method of choosing may be to start by viewing the specifics of each line's itineraries, rather than starting by choosing a line. The standard 2023 ports-of-call for each line are follows.

Carnival

Holland America Line: northbound, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway; southbound Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan

Princess Cruises: northbound, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway; southbound, Skagway (replaced by Hoonah on Majestic Princess sailings), Juneau, Ketchikan

NCL Holdings

Norwegian Cruise Line: northbound via Jewel, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sgagway; northbound via Sprit, Hoonah, Juneau, Skagway, Valdez; southbound via Jewel, Hoonah, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan; southbound via Spirit, Valdez, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan

Regent Seven Seas Cruises: northbound Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hoonah; southbound Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan

Royal Caribbean Group

Celebrity Cruises: northbound, Ketchikan, Hoonah, Juneau, Skagway; southbound, Juneau, Skagway, Hoonah, Ketchikan

Royal Caribbean International: northbound, Juneau, Hoonah, Sitka, Skagway; southbound, Skagway, Haines (alternate sailings only), Hoonah, Ketchikan

Silversea Cruises: northbound, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka; southbound, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan

Viking

Viking Ocean Cruises: northbound, Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, Hoonah, Valdez; southbound, Valdez, Hoonah, Skagway, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan

While recognizing that much of the above information is rather general, perhaps not being as specific as might have been expected, hopefully the larger overview here will help in navigating the "overwhelming" choices available.

• Like 2

Wow.  A wealth of information. Thanks. Where is Hoonah?  Where is Haines? I am thinking Holland America southbound.  I am interested in learning about the area and the wildlife.  It's not like a Caribbean cruise, which is basically sun, beaches, happy hour and party time.  

49 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Where is Hoonah?  Where is Haines?

Hoonah is on Chichagof Island. Its port for cruise vessels has been developed into a place known by "Icy Strait Point." Haines is north of Juneau, on the Lynn Canal, a bit before Skagway. Both Haines and Skagway are connected to the roads of Alaska and the Yukon territory, respectively.

You might get some sun in Alaska, the beaches that exist are not known for swimming or sunbathing, and those looking to drink and party will find it wherever they go. So some similarities, but clearly distinct and aiming for those with different interests.

But as a whole, I don't think you'll find substantial differences among the mass market cruise lines. You can see that from the common ports they all visit. The main differences would between them and Viking, the expedition vessels, the small vessels, and the ferries.

2 hours ago, kayehall said:

I have decided  southbound to Vancouver.  Between Princess and Holland, which would you recommend and why?  Any thoughts on the ships?

I've done Alaskan cruises on both those lines multiple times (also have did one on Celebrity back in the 90s).  Princess ships are generally larger than HAL ships, so the latter visits a few ports that Princess can't.  However, I've never done a southbound one, always have done northbound.  Where do you depart from?  Seward?  In looking at my past itineraries, HAL ships visited a few ports that Princess never does, probably because the latter''s ships are larger.  For example, College Fjiord is never visited by those two lines; we were there on a Celebrity ship--CF is magnificent, especially early in the season when there's still a lot of snow around.  Also, we stopped at Sitka on a HAL ship (well worth it).  Happy travels!

10 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

College Fjiord is never visited by those two lines

Not accurate.  Princess has itineraries that includes College Fjord, but, they usually are Northbound itineraries.

3 hours ago, kayehall said:

I have decided  southbound to Vancouver.  Between Princess and Holland, which would you recommend and why?  Any thoughts on the ships?

I suggest that you try to select an itinerary that includes visits to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  Princess does this on most, if not all, of their Southbound itineraries.  HAL may also do this for 2023 since they will be sailing from the same port that Princess does.  

Both Princess and HAL offer a very good onboard Alaska program with Princess having a slight edge.  Princess ships are considerably larger than HAL's and they don't have any venue like the Crow's Nest that each HAL ship has.  HAL's ships do have more open exterior deck space for guests than does Princess's ships.  

A pleasant decision for you!  

On 10/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, kayehall said:

Wow.  A wealth of information. Thanks. Where is Hoonah?  Where is Haines? I am thinking Holland America southbound.  I am interested in learning about the area and the wildlife.  It's not like a Caribbean cruise, which is basically sun, beaches, happy hour and party time.  

You can look them up on Google maps.  Also do a Google search on them.

DON

On 10/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am finding it increasingly difficult in keeping abreast of what the itineraries are since I don't have current hard copy brochures.  

I cut and pasted every itinerary that I was considering onto a doc on my laptop and reviewed and assessed, including port times, so that I could compare and contrast. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, njsmom said:

I cut and pasted every itinerary that I was considering onto a doc on my laptop and reviewed and assessed, including port times, so that I could compare and contrast. 

That is quite a job!  And, one that a possible customer ought not have to do!  My hat is off to you for making such an effort!  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

That is quite a job!  And, one that a possible customer ought not have to do!  My hat is off to you for making such an effort!  

It wasn't that bad, took a couple of hours. I was determined to find the right one. I was looking at multiple cruises from multiple cruise lines and all of the times in ports vary as well, so I wanted to see which ones were the best. Once I had them all side by side it was remarkably easy to choose. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cali Viajera said:

We chose Princess for their long history in Alaska and their Voyage of the Glaciers cruise included Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cali Viajera said:

We chose Princess for their long history in Alaska and their Voyage of the Glaciers cruise included Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

When is your cruise?  What ship?  Are you doing a land portion?

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

So I see you chose Celebrity.  Why?  I am leaning towards HA or Princess because of Glacier Bay.  This will probably be our only trip to Alaska.  I have other places on my bucket list...LOL!!!

1 hour ago, kayehall said:

So I see you chose Celebrity.  Why?  I am leaning towards HA or Princess because of Glacier Bay.  This will probably be our only trip to Alaska.  I have other places on my bucket list...LOL!!!

Go to Glacier Bay. It is pretty much guaranteed. Hubbard can easily be missed.

1 hour ago, kayehall said:

Several reasons. I liked Princess second best. I had several friends who know my style who didn't think I would like HAL, based on their own experiences with that cruise line. One of whom has worked in the cruise industry for a few decades and has cruised over 100 times on nearly every cruise line. My closest friends who cruise thought I'd like Celebrity, NCL or Princess. I chose Celebrity based on their advice, the ports on the itinerary, and the times in port, and because I liked the style of the Millennium. It was completely revamped in 2019 and I like that it is a smaller ship with about 2,100 passengers but still has tons of wonderful features. I also like the specific dates of this sailing, because I'm quite limited in the window of time I have to cruise since my husband and I are doing it while our son is at summer camp. Basically, we like things that are rather fancy, but we didn't want to spend $15,000 or more on the luxury cruise lines. Celebrity seemed to fit our style and preferences and would have people our age (we are 51 and 54) who like the things we do. HAL is an older crowd, and while Princess seemed nice, I preferred Celebrity overall. I'm sure I'll try a Princess cruise down the road. I ruled out NCL for Alaska because I don't like that they dock in Wards Cove and I don't like the ships they use for Alaska. 

35 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Several reasons. I liked Princess second best. I had several friends who know my style who didn't think I would like HAL, based on their own experiences with that cruise line. One of whom has worked in the cruise industry for a few decades and has cruised over 100 times on nearly every cruise line. My closest friends who cruise thought I'd like Celebrity, NCL or Princess. I chose Celebrity based on their advice, the ports on the itinerary, and the times in port, and because I liked the style of the Millennium. It was completely revamped in 2019 and I like that it is a smaller ship with about 2,100 passengers but still has tons of wonderful features. I also like the specific dates of this sailing, because I'm quite limited in the window of time I have to cruise since my husband and I are doing it while our son is at summer camp. Basically, we like things that are rather fancy, but we didn't want to spend $15,000 or more on the luxury cruise lines. Celebrity seemed to fit our style and preferences and would have people our age (we are 51 and 54) who like the things we do. HAL is an older crowd, and while Princess seemed nice, I preferred Celebrity overall. I'm sure I'll try a Princess cruise down the road. I ruled out NCL for Alaska because I don't like that they dock in Wards Cove and I don't like the ships they use for Alaska. 

We love Celebrity and "X" members.  I would pick Celebrity in a heartbeat except for Glacier Bay!!!  I am so torn..........

12 hours ago, kayehall said:

We love Celebrity and "X" members.  I would pick Celebrity in a heartbeat except for Glacier Bay!!!  I am so torn..........

That was a very tough call for me, too. I decided I'd do the small boat excursion to see Hubbard Glacier, and we're doing a canoe/hike experience at Mendenhall Glacier, but I know there's no comparison to Glacier Bay. I have seen College Fjord before on a one-day cruise, and it was magnificent. I decided that for us, this will be a "taste of Alaska" cruise and we will experience more the next year and in years to come. I decided to put the ship experience over the Glacier Bay experience since I knew we'd love everything we saw, regardless. 

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

That was a very tough call for me, too. I decided I'd do the small boat excursion to see Hubbard Glacier, and we're doing a canoe/hike experience at Mendenhall Glacier, but I know there's no comparison to Glacier Bay. I have seen College Fjord before on a one-day cruise, and it was magnificent. I decided that for us, this will be a "taste of Alaska" cruise and we will experience more the next year and in years to come. I decided to put the ship experience over the Glacier Bay experience since I knew we'd love everything we saw, regardless. 

OK, so I am an over thinker.  There was too many variables and it was driving me crazy.  Decided to simplify things.  Whittier was becoming an issue.  Not doing a before or after land portion.  I am going with Celebrity.