Which cruise line and why?

kayehall

6 hours ago, kayehall said:

OK, so I am an over thinker.  There was too many variables and it was driving me crazy.  Decided to simplify things.  Whittier was becoming an issue.  Not doing a before or after land portion.  I am going with Celebrity.

It's not like you're going to have a bad time on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska. You know you love Celebrity!

8 hours ago, kayehall said:

OK, so I am an over thinker.  There was too many variables and it was driving me crazy.  Decided to simplify things.  Whittier was becoming an issue.  Not doing a before or after land portion.  I am going with Celebrity.

Now you will have the perfect reason to take a second Alaskan cruise, so you can see the fantastic Glacier Bay National Park.  Of course it will have to be with a different cruise line since Celebrity and Royal Caribbean won't be visiting Glacier Bay for many years to come.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am finding it increasingly difficult in keeping abreast of what the itineraries are since I don't have current hard copy brochures.  

I also find hard copy schedules to be easier to read and manage, though increasingly the cruise lines have been cutting back on their printing and making them available. For comparing schedules across the various lines, Canada and Alaska Timetable does provide schedules for all the lines providing one-way transportation between Vancouver and Alaska. The most recent issue, November 2022, was updating with 2023 itineraries, from which I have excerpted and attached hereto Tables 761, which show all the relevant itineraries and can be easily printed out.

Canada and Alaska Timetable 761.pdf

Edited by GTJ
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, Coral said:

Go to Glacier Bay. It is pretty much guaranteed. Hubbard can easily be missed.

And GB is so much better than Hubbard.  We saw the latter while on a Celebrity ship years ago.  It's right on the coast and not inland like Glacier Bay (i.e. surrounded by lots of mountains).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Of course it will have to be with a different cruise line since Celebrity and Royal Caribbean won't be visiting Glacier Bay for many years to come.

This is news for me.  Why?  Obviously didn't get the National Park's Service permits, but, why didn't they?  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is news for me.  Why?  Obviously didn't get the National Park's Service permits, but, why didn't they?  

You would have to ask Royal Caribbean why.  For some reason they failed to finalize their 10 year agreement with the National Park Service

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

You would have to ask Royal Caribbean why.  For some reason they failed to finalize their 10 year agreement with the National Park Service

Thanks for the information.  Someone in Miami messed up?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the information.  Someone in Miami messed up?  

Either messed up or just didn’t want to pay the increased per passenger fee the National Park Service charges.  In 2019 the park service increased the fee from $5 per passenger to $8.28 per passenger.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If so, "cheap, cheap, cheap"!  And depriving their guests of an important part of an Alaskan cruise.  

They would have just passed the increase to the passengers.  I think they are concerned with protecting the Glacier.

5 hours ago, kayehall said:

They would have just passed the increase to the passengers. 

An increase in the fare of less than $4?  Big deal.  

5 hours ago, kayehall said:

I think they are concerned with protecting the Glacier.

Personally, I think you are giving them too much credit.  The ships don't get that close to have an impact on the glaciers, in my experience.  

On 11/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, BarbinMich said:

And GB is so much better than Hubbard.  We saw the latter while on a Celebrity ship years ago.  It's right on the coast and not inland like Glacier Bay (i.e. surrounded by lots of mountains).

I enjoy both. I have been iced out of Hubbard or not gotten very close so many times that if I get close, it is rare and consider myself lucky. Hubbard is large and impressive but it is one glacier. Glacier Bay almost always is accessible, ships get close and it is a gorgeous entire day of gorgeous sailing and sites.

If one can find an itinerary with both on their schedule, jackpot! They are entirely different and both worth going to. I just know on my first cruise - Hubbard was not accessible and it was our only glacier. It took me more than a decade to get my Mom back to Alaska. For many Alaska is a once in a lifetime experience.

11 hours ago, Coral said:

I enjoy both. I have been iced out of Hubbard or not gotten very close so many times that if I get close, it is rare and consider myself lucky. Hubbard is large and impressive but it is one glacier. Glacier Bay almost always is accessible, ships get close and it is a gorgeous entire day of gorgeous sailing and sites.

If one can find an itinerary with both on their schedule, jackpot! They are entirely different and both worth going to. I just know on my first cruise - Hubbard was not accessible and it was our only glacier. It took me more than a decade to get my Mom back to Alaska. For many Alaska is a once in a lifetime experience.

Jeez Coral, you are making me 2nd guess my decision...LOL

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Jeez Coral, you are making me 2nd guess my decision...LOL

Hopefully you will fall in love with Alaska like I did and return many times again and see everything you want to see. Impossible on first trip and with a week!

Enjoy your trip. Celebrity used to have some of the best naturalists/speakers. Not sure if they still do. I would attend their nature talks. 

Brent Nixon was the guy I liked. Definitely worth listening to.

Edited by Coral

On 11/4/2022 at 8:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

I don't think they got that many. I wonder if it was easier logistic wise to keep the same itinerary all season.

• Thanks 1

When I took my parents back in 2018 on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas, we had the best weather. Hubbard was astounding and we were so close.

Now I'm taking hubby next year and we're doing HAL so that he can see Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong. But sooner rather than later with how quickly the glaciers are receding!

• Like 1